If you are around 3 mos post-op... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

If you are around 3 mos post-op... If you are around 3 mos post-op...

Unread 02-11-2009, 10:19 AM
If you are around 3 mos post-op...

...what sort of difficulties are you still experiencing?

AND,

if you are around 3 mos post-op, which are your biggest after surgery problems that have now been resolved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2009, 11:31 AM

Hi English Lavender. I think my surgery was just a little ahead of yours, since I was three months post op the end of January. I'm doing pretty well, I think. At just about three months I had a very small amount of spotting after intercourse. It only happened once and didn't last long. I didn't call the Dr. about it, but thought I would if it happened again or had gotten worse.

I had my regular appointment with my primary care physician a couple of days ago, and neither of us were happy with the weight I'd gained. I'm attributing it to all the resting I did with recuperation and then Christmas! Anyway, I'm now trying to get my blood sugar lower and know that I'll need to eat differently and begin to be more active physically. The weather here doesn't encourage walking outdoors and I absolutely hate the treadmill, but I'll do it if I can't figure out how to be more active.

Intimacy is just fine, with no particular physical problems.

My next appointment with my gyn is in early March, when I'll have a pap and internal. I think scans are to be done in June. Except for the nerves that an endometrial cancer diagnosis made, I'm doing well.

How are you? Are you having any particular difficulties?

Barb A.
Unread 02-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnglishLavender

AND,

if you are around 3 mos post-op, which are your biggest after surgery problems that have now been resolved?
I had my surgery one day prior to yours. The problems I am having is I get up several times at night to use the rest room. I am going to contact my doctor about that. I am having some sexual issues like vaginal dryness.. I can have an orgasim but as soon as its over I am done and come completly dry afterwards. I am on vagifem that is supposed to help and it has a little but since taking Im an emotional mess. I dont know if this is from the meds but just stuff going on in my household. With the economy my DH job is pretty iffy right now and we are all on pins and needles to see if he will have a job. I should count my blessings since he spent 25 years in the navy and we do have his military retirement that will cover all of our household bills but will not cover the extras including food, cc debt and one of the car payments. If worst comes to worse we will just sell one of the cars.. It sucks because I have one kid in college and one who will be going into college and we have to worry how we will be able to continue to send them.. I think that is why I am an emotional wreck. The whole house is actually. FIL is still declining so we are worried about that. My mom is ill now.. Im sorry I just told you my whole life story but it feels better getting it out. Maybe I need to go talk to someone
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-11-2009, 01:00 PM

Hi Barb!

No, I don't think I am having any particularly abnormal difficulties; the only thing I notice is that lately I can't seem to stay awake past 5 PM; I fall asleep watching CNN for about an hour or so! Other than the occasional twinge near the top of my scar, I'm doing quite well.

I am really eager to hear updated reports on your scan later in the year; I'm hoping that there are no further cancer scares in your future!!!!

Cathie, it seems to me that even without surgery and some sort of subsequent hormone replacement, your life is pretty conducive to emotional wear and tear! The current economy crisis is pretty nerve racking, and it is hard to relax enough to enjoy physical intimacy. You do have an awful lot on your plate, you know. As for talking to someone, there are plenty of us here who are feeling much the same way you are, so perhaps we can be of some help to you. I think it's easy to forget that most of us are not dealing with hysterectomy in a vacuum; there are other issues in our lives that make recovery just that little more problematic.
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:19 PM

Quote:

AND,

I saw the gyn yesterday to discuss how painful intercourse is for me. I use astroglide but still a very miserable experience. Her answer, 'You need to retrain your brain to relax'. I asked her to do an internal exam (first time I've been checked) and she said I looked pretty much healed. She was rushed and didn't say to come back. So, I guess I'm on my own. She isn't dealing with me on HRT either. I am waiting to see how bad I can stand the night sweats, etc. I had depression and migraines pre-op, so I can't say these are new symptons.

As far as after surgery issues, I would say having a regular BM has gotten back into routine. My head is clearer from all the medication, anesthia, etc. I can read a book again. I guess I made sure I took pretty good care post op to prevent further complications. My DH and I were so patient to wait for sex at the 10 week post op point.

Thanks for letting me voice my problems. It does feel good.
Unread 02-11-2009, 02:24 PM

The only trouble I am really having still is the gas. BM are fine but I get gas pains a lot. I waited until 11 weeks to have sex & all that is fine. My energy is pretty good. Some days I am just to tired to do anything but those are getting less & less. So I would say I am doing good. Best wishes to you!
Unread 02-11-2009, 05:27 PM

I still am having bladder problems. Still feels like a need to pee alot. I don't go to the bathroom alot, just have that feeling. Have been to the urologist for tests, was on Detrol LA for about 2 months, with not much improvement and it caused other issues with my bowels. Am off of that now and trying to get my bowels regular. Working with a PT on bladder floor issues. Called the GYN to see if there was anything from the surgery that could be causing this and she did not know of anything. She said she could go back in a try taking out my cervix, which was left in, but she couldn't say if that would help or not. I am not going to have a surgery when they don't even know if it would make a difference. So I guess I would say it still sucks!!
Unread 02-12-2009, 10:08 AM

To all of those that responded, I know that this whole hysterectomy gig hasn't been completely problem-free, but on the whole, are you glad you had the surgery or not?
Unread 02-12-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
To all of those that responded, I know that this whole hysterectomy gig hasn't been completely problem-free, but on the whole, are you glad you had the surgery or not?
Yes, definitely glad to have it done. It solved pre-cancer issues, cysts, fibroids, abnormalities, pain, etc. issues. I don't regret it at all.
I just have so many others issues to tackle that sometimes it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Unread 02-12-2009, 01:28 PM

Hello Seabutterfly and everyone else who's replied. I am definitely glad I had the surgery! No doubt at all. I am feeling much weller (I know that isn't a word!) than I have in a long time, despite the tiredness come 8pm, the still irritated bladder and bowel, the flushes, the 'old' skin, the hair loss and the heavy tummy at the end of the day....
I think I have been lucky in my recovery...Some issues with back pain, but waiting to see a physiotherapist to try and see if that helps. But I just realised when asked if I wanted to visit friends a couple of weeks ago, that I didn't need to think about if I would feel OKish on the date, if I would have terrible cramps and pain, if I might be bleeding all over the place or if I might just need to call off at the last minute because everything was sore....That was a good feeling. Sore backs and iffy bladders and bowels I can deal with...Being miserable and in a lot of pain a lot of the time are hopefully to remain nasty memories!

Much love and wellness wishes to you all! Take care and get plenty sleep!

Fred1

TAH/BSO
Endometriosis, Ovarian cysts, a lot of Fibroids
Age 38

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register