Working from home | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Working from home Working from home

Unread 10-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Working from home

My surgery is Nov. 3rd. and why I waited a whole month is beyond me. I wasn't thinking about this being my busy time of the year. I run a website from home and MAKE everything I sell. I have 1 person that comes to work to help me. I have stated on my website that orders must be in by Oct. 31 to ensure delivery starting Nov. 17th. I have my work area in the basement with a bathroom, living room and everything else I need. I know I will be able to answer emails and phone calls a few days after but what is your opinion on resuming my crafting? Liz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 06:15 PM
Working from home

What do you make? If it involves hammers and circular saws, I'd say no way until your dr. clears you for all work. If it's needlework or artificial flower arrangements or paintings or sewing or things like that, I'd say after a couple of weeks you would probably feel up to doing a little bit a day. I do medical transcription and told them at work I felt up to doing a little LIGHT transcription at home after about 2-1/2 weeks. Of course, my definition of LIGHT and my boss' definition don't agree! I'm almost 5 weeks out and am trying not to sit and type more than 4 hours total per day - and that's not all at once.
Unread 10-25-2003, 06:56 PM
Working from home

Hi!

If it requires much concentration there is a chance that you will still be kind of "foggy" and not able to, even if you are feeling up to it.

How long the fog may last kind of depends on what kind of anesthesia and how long you need to take heavy duty pain meds.

I had a general and only took about 6 percocet (total) after I got home. I usually read anything I can get my hands on but it was more than two weeks before I could concentrate long enough to read even a short magazine article. I also do counted cross stitch, and had a project started to work on during recovery. It also had to wait.

Everyone is different. If you plan on a longer time unable to work, then if you can go back early it will be a pleasant (?) surprise.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-25-2003, 07:26 PM
Working from home

Hi Liz,

I had a TVH, with general anesthesia in the hospital, and some pretty strong pain relievers at home for a couple of weeks. I remember spending quite a bit of time lying on the couch, looking at the TV, but not really "seeing" it. I had stacks of books and magazines that I wanted to read, and found that it was just too much trouble to concentrate for any length of time for a couple of weeks. By 3 1/2 weeks post-op, I had been off pain meds for a few days and felt well enough to drive myself on a two hour trip to my DD's. But - I wouldn't have wanted to drive back the same day. I went back to my desk job, full-time, at 5 1/2 weeks, and even that was a little bit too soon for me.

If you have a large number of orders to get ready, and are dependant upon the income from your customers, have you thought about postponing your surgery (if it's not being done for a life-threatening reason) until after you have filled all of your orders?

If your surgery is medically necessary right now, however, then you may need to stop accepting orders so that you can complete what you already have before surgery, and not jeopardize either your health or your reputation with your customers.

Have you had a chance yet to read the Pre-Op Hints and the Post-Op Hints? If you read them, and some of the Princess Tell Hyst-Stories you'll have a better idea of what to expect.

Please continue to read and research and let us know what you decide to do.

's
Unread 10-27-2003, 04:33 AM
Working from home

I make dolls and other items that are done on a sewing machine. I also paint wood items. No saws for me, my husband takes care of that end. I do have a worker that comes 3 times a week. She can sew for me and I am hoping to be able to sit to stuff the bodies and do the finishing touches. I have posted on my site that orders must be in by the 31st to start delivery after the 17th. My surgery is the 3rd. I can't post pone the surgery my OBGYN wanted it done within 8 weeks (started this in sept.) why I didn't have it done in Oct. is beyond me. I am trying to get as much done and out the door before saturday comes. Thanks for your replies. Liz

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register