D & C in the morning - need sister support | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

D & C in the morning - need sister support D & C in the morning - need sister support

Unread 12-02-2003, 10:21 AM
D & C in the morning - need sister support

I had to been seen (more like squeezed in) yesterday for excessive bleeding - pad every half hour. I am scheduled now for a D&C in the morning and I need to know what to expect.
I am frustrated too. Everything points to adenomyosis. (Dr and Nurse Practioner agree) I realize a trip to the castle is major, but what is the logic with D&C's and more sonagrams?
My uterus is enlarged and new Dr said lining thickness is far exceeding normal. If a hysterectomy is coming, why are we dancing around that discussion?
Irregardless of that - I need to know what's coming tomorrow. How long will I be laid up? (I'm assuming Jr High youth group is out tomorrow night). Will I be up and about the following day?
Sisters, I know a lot of you have been through this. Could you please share some wisdom?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2003, 10:31 AM

Dear Jeaniemarie, Bless your heart, sweetie. I know that you're worried about it. My prayers are with you.

I had an emergency D & C in 1998 when I miscarried. I'm sure it's nothing like the one you'll have. Just do yourself a favor and INSIST on being put to sleep for the procedure. (You don't need to be awake for it--you need to relax and let the dr do his job) My MIL had that done (years ago, of course), and she says that she was feeling better soon afterwards. (Not run-a-marathon better, but better)

I wish there were more I could tell you, but mine was so rushed, it was all a blur. Good luck to you, sweetie. Keep us posted.

{{{{HUGS}}}}

~Chanda
Unread 12-02-2003, 10:50 AM
Its really not that bad.

To GennieMarie:
Hi,I'm patybear.I'm not a doctor,but I can tell you about my experiance,in the hope that it can help you.I had what
my doctor refered to as a G.N.C.Its a biopsy of tissue,followed by a D and C.The D and C is to clean out the excess uterine linings.
In my case,it only took about 15-20 minutes.I went in to the castle at 11:00 am and was home by 12-1:00.I was put under for
the actual procedure.I remember the nurse putting the syringe of
anesthisa in my I.V.line,then the next thing I remember is waking
up in the recovery room.After I got home I laid down for a nap about 2:00(which I usually do on a daily basis anyway),then I was
fine for the rest of the day.My D.B.F. and I even went to a few yard sales.
You'll be fine,kiddo
patybear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-02-2003, 11:00 AM

HI JeanieMarie,
I can't give you any info on what the d&c will be like, because I've never had one - however, from the medical point of view with regards to the possibility of a hysterectomy, a lot of times the insurance companies want to be sure that everything possible was done before resorting to that surgery.

You may also find that this gives you some relief for a while too.

For your own peace of mind, (forget about the insurance!) -- YOU need to know that you've done all you can do to avoid having surgery so that if and when you do get to the point of having it, you will know 100% that you have done everything possible to manage your situation and that surgery is the right choice for you.

best wishes,
Unread 12-02-2003, 12:08 PM

Hi jeaniemarie,

I had a D&C in October for excessive bleeding. I also had a hysteroscopy. It was a pretty simple process. My doc put me out in case she had to remove anything with the hysteroscope. If you don't want to be put out, you can ask if you have to be as it isn't absolutely necessary. That was the biggest deal of all and I was pretty groggy for about 24 hours. They did give me their special stuff in my IV and I didn't get sick at all after. I had some minor pain, but they took it away immediately with the IV. For about a day after, I had a feeling of having been scraped out - just kinda like I had some raw scratches, but it wasn't that bad. Sitting was pretty uncomfortable for about two days.

By the day after the procedure, everything was pretty much back to normal - and I was still bleeding. I called the nurse and she said it sounded like I was having a period. I was on two birth control pills a day and I had the D&C, so I shouldn't have been bleeding. I knew it hadn't worked, but I waited a week and called back. They still didn't really believe me until they saw my next CBC and my hemoglobin was at a 6.

I know that this all requires a lot of patience. Hysterectomies are common, but that doesn't meant that docs like to do it. They want to try everything they can just in case. The insurance makes them do it and they want to make sure that we won't have any regrets either. You never know, the D&C may work for you or may find something that can be treated. It can often work to reset the uterus and kinda clear things out so that things get back to normal the next month. And, the recovery is so quick. You may not need the hysterectomy at all.

After several months of bleeding on a daily basis, I am finally getting to talk surgery with my doc. I have towarn you, though, I have three months of Lupron before the surgery because I am so anemic and if I do have adeno - and we suspect that I must, too - there will be too much blood loss when she starts to cut into me. So, the lupron will give me a break so that I can make enough blood for the surgery and it will reduce some of the blood loss by reducing the flow to my uterus.

I sure hope yours goes well. You may want to skip the youth group. If you are put under, remember that you aren't supposed to drive and you are supposed to have someone with you for 24 hours.

Good luck!
Nik
Unread 12-02-2003, 12:49 PM

I had a D&C a few years ago - and it's not bad at all. I was under during the procedure but didn't take long to come out of the anethesia. It whole procedure is quick - I believe I was home by early afternoon and I dozed off and on for the rest of the day.

Was a little bit sore but nothing close to severe. I was given pain medication but never needed to take it.

Dr. said to take it easy for a couple of days - I was home the day after the surgery and then back at work the next day.

Good luck - relax as much as possible - all will be well.

Unread 12-02-2003, 01:42 PM

I just had a D&C in late September due to irregular heavy bleeding. One thing that I experienced with it was some pretty heavy cramping, but nothing that wasn't controllable. I also had some bleeding issues afterwards, but hey, nothing new for me there either. The main thing to remember is that the Doc will most likely tell you that sex is out for 2 weeks as is use of tampons, douches, etc. I'm unsure if your doc has discussed local verses general anesthesia (sp?), but I was knocked out for mine and found that to be a blessing.
I sincerely hope that this helps you, dear. And, if it doesn't, take comfort in the fact that the doctors have to try everything now before doing the hysterectomy. My doc flat out told me that he was only doing it to satisfy the insurance company. But always remember, sooner or later we will get better!
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:08 PM

Hi Jeaniemarie,
I had a D & C years ago because of a miscarriage and didn't have any problems at all. I was put under general anesthesia, spent the night in the hospital and went home the next day. Don't remember taking any paid meds but do remember being really tired for a few days....guess from the general wearing off.
But you should do fine....just take it easy for a few days.
Best wishes to you...
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:14 PM
D&C

Hi I just had a D&C on November 17th and now am having a hysterectomy on December 17th. I think it is procedure to have the D&C first. I also had an ultrasound. I think that they need to document what we have first before a hysterectomy.
On the D&C, I actually felt fine the day of the procedure and even in the evening. It was the next day that I felt ill and nauseated. This is from the general anesthesia. I was tired for a few days but felt better than I thought I would.
Unread 12-02-2003, 05:26 PM

Hi!

I have had two D&Cs (One about 6 years ago and one last August) and neither one was a big deal. I was out for both of them and just had some cramping and mild bleeding afterwards.

Your doctor sounds like mine. A hysterectomy is major surgery and he wanted to do everything he could first to avoid it if possible.

I understand your fears but you will see a D&C isn't so bad.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register