cold feet | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-14-2002, 08:32 AM
cold feet

I am sssoooooooooo fed up with my doc's office that I am ready to cancel this surgery. I still have not received my instructions for the nite before etc, so I called my doc's office and the nurse flatly said, "of course you haven't received them, I haven't mailed them yet". Now, working for 4 surgeons myself, I know protocol. There are only 2 mail days left for those papers to get to me in time, since I will be working Tuesday until 5 pm. Thats Saturday and Monday. That leaves no room for error. But, the nurse made me feel like I was being ridiculous.

I even had to pre-cert the surgery myself since his staff scheduled the surgery without pre-certing first!!! His staff treats me like this is no big deal...like getting your teeth cleaned! I am so sick of it I am thinking about canceling and finding a new doc to do this later this year!

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 08:45 AM
cold feet

It is very frustrating dealing with doctors office staff especially when you work in the same field and they aren't doing things in the proper way and the proper manner. My doctor is the best. He has a great bedside manner, very understanding and kind. But his office girls are totally rude. So I can sympathize with you. I just keep telling myself I haven't quit going to him because I am there to see him not his staff. This is a very nerve racking time also which makes us more upsetting and I know in my case I was alot more hostile when dealing with the doctors staff because I was so nervous.
Unread 06-14-2002, 08:51 AM
Hi Suz,

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time. Sometimes medical workers forget that, what to them is no big deal, is a major event to the patient! Have you talked to your doctor about your concerns? (Usually, you'll have a pre-op appointment at which you receive instructions. Did you not have that?)

I am concerned about what you wrote in your signature line, that you're having a TVH and going back to work five days later. Even though a TVH requires less recovery time, you are still having MAJOR surgery. You need time to recover!! You only get one chance to heal right, and if you overdo it too soon, all types of complications can occur. Did this doctor approve your returning to work so soon? Just my opinion, but five days is not enough time to let your body heal.

Anyway, best wishes and I hope everything works out okay.

s,

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2002, 10:12 AM
cold feet

Dear Suz,

I know you must be really frustrated about not receiving the paperwork yet - especially since you know that it doesn't have to be this way. Is there any way that you could stop by your surgeon's office and personally pick up the pre-op instructions? Or even ask them to fax them to you at your office?

I also am concerned about your expected recovery time. I had a TVH (with repairs) and didn't go back to work for 5 1/2 weeks. Even though you won't have an abdominal incision, you still have the same internal stitches, and they take time to heal. I have read that 4 to 6 weeks is considered minimal time to heal.

Most doctors won't OK going back to work so soon. Have you talked with your doctor about when you can expect to return to work?

Please let us know what you find out.

's

Karen
Unread 06-14-2002, 10:27 AM
cold feet

Hi, Suze! Here is one doctor's expectations for recovery from a hyst. http://www.wdxcyber.com/nbleed13.htm He doesn't want his TVH patients to return to work until 4 weeks post op and not even to drive for the first 7-10 days. It's better to be safe than sorry, and not risk causing complications. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 06-14-2002, 02:56 PM
cold feet

I completely understand where your coming from. When I had my lap, I received my instructions at 2 pm the day before surgery. I was to take a laxative at 4 pm that day. I ran around everywhere trying to find the kind of laxative the dr wanted me to use (over the counter) and didn't get to take it till 5 or so. It was irritating to say the least.

If all else fails, you may want to consider dropping by the office and picking them up instead of waiting for the mail. I know that's a pain but it'll be worth it to get your instructions in hand.

P.S. Tuesday 6/18 your working till 5. I get it!!!
Unread 06-15-2002, 08:01 AM
my cold feet

well, I have made a decision to cancel my surgery on Wednesday, and get a second opinion. If the second doctor says it must be done, then I will go thru with it, but I will wait until I can take off plenty of time to recover first! I feel much better now that I have decided to do this, because I am not stressing over my recovery time any more, and I don't have to worry about the doctor having a lousy bedside manner to match his staff's attitude. So I will probably call Monday morning and cancel it, and see another doc sometime this month or next. I will try to shoot for November as a time to have the surgery.
Unread 06-15-2002, 09:28 AM
cold feet

suze

I was off off work for 5 days (dr orders) when she removed cysts and some scar tissue Laproscopically last summer.

When I had my Hyst she had me off work for 6 weeks.

I don't blame you for cancelling and seeking a second opinion. I myself went thru 3 Drs during the course of my problems.

Everything finally turned out for the best as it probably will with you

sending lots of
Unread 06-15-2002, 10:10 AM
Sounds like a good plan..

Hi Suze,

I'm glad you decided to go ahead with a second opinion and set your surgery up when you can take off more time from work. Five days just wasn't enough time for your body to heal.

Please keep us updated with your plans. We'll be praying for everything to turn out right for you.

s,

Lisa
Unread 06-15-2002, 10:29 AM
cold feet

Suze,

I am glad that you cancelled and will wait for when you can take more time off. Five days just wasn't enough (and I was asking my Dr to let me go back at my 2 wks check up. His wisdom prevailed and I will be off for 6 wks). But also, if this is how they handle you pre-op, how were they going to handle you post op? Would they have been there for questions or problems? I am glad you will find a second opinion. Please let us know how you make out with that!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register