TLH Hysterectomy yesterday: Omg so much pain.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy yesterday: Omg so much pain.... Hysterectomy yesterday: Omg so much pain....

Unread 02-03-2016, 08:11 PM
Hysterectomy yesterday: Omg so much pain....

Surgery was yesterday.. Was doing ok and was getting discharged from hospital at 430 today and my gas pains and gurgling pains got sooooooooo bad. I am home now and just in so much pain. Help what can I do? I have taken gas x my Percoset and even had one last dose of morphine in iv before I left hospital. This is terrible pain.. I can't find a comfortable position.. We can lie on our sides can't we?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2016, 08:38 PM
Re: Omg so much pain....

My doctor told me I could lie any any position I wanted so long as I did not hurt my incisions. Have you tried a heating pad? Walking around? Are you allowed to take ibuprofen? If so, try it. I found it more helpful than narcotics. Some women feel better in a recliner than lying down. If you continue to have a lot of pain, you need to call you doctor's office and let them know. You aren't supposed to be in terrible pain. Let us know how it goes.
Unread 02-03-2016, 08:39 PM

You can lye on your side but put a pillow between your legs that helped me with the gas problem and I read peppermint tea helps as well good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-03-2016, 09:18 PM

You may want to try an ice pack. Make sure you are drinking plenty of fluids. I'm a side sleeper and I was able to sleep on my side without any issues. Did you get an abdominal binder at the hospital? If not, you may want to look in to getting one. It's helpful for sleeping on your side. Use piles of pillows to make yourself comfortable. Other sisters have mentioned using body pillows. I bought one, but never ended up needing it. If you have new pain or your pain continues to worsen, call your doctor's office or head to the ER if you can't reach your doctor.

Hang in there!

Unread 02-03-2016, 09:25 PM

Gas pains are the worst... I found the heating pad the best. Then drinking peppermint tea and chamomile tea. I was uncomfortable too. I had 3 soft pillows behind me and laid half sidding up for the first 4 weeks.. If laugh no on your side, it may feel as though everything is falling to that side. Kind of a strange feeling. Use pillows or a body pillow,to lay on.
Unread 02-03-2016, 11:25 PM

Gas pain, constipation & the 1st bowel movement can be quite uncomfortable & painful! Your best bet is to ask your Dr or a nurse how to handle each of these...

My experience, I wish I would have taken a stool softener once I started to eat post op. I was in the hospital & I kept getting out of bed to walk to bathroom. I sat in chair & I kept standing bc I was uncomfortable. I was able to pass gas I think from moving around. Once home on day 4 later, I was uncomfortable from constipation. I waited for Dr call me. I was eating prunes, juices, water, apples. This felt more painful than surgery. I used a mineral enema & a friend told me to eat 2 Fiber1 bars, it worked. My friend told me to take magnesium citrate if I get constipated again. The Dr called afterwards & said take magnesium citrate. I never want to experience that again so I was eating a Fiber1 bar daily but now, I take stool softeners daily, I eat fruit & veggies & now I eat a Fiber1 bar a couple times per week. A heating pad helps sooth a sore abdomin. The anesthesia & all the pain meds make us constipated. We've all been there.. Feel better!
Unread 02-04-2016, 06:00 AM

I think that you should lay however is most comfortable. If you can get up and move around that will help as well

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register