Remove vs. leave cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Remove vs. leave cervix Remove vs. leave cervix

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:21 PM
Remove vs. leave cervix

Hi All:

My surgery (TAH, leaving one ovary) is this Tuesday 7/27. I had my pre-op today and we discussed removing vs. leaving the cervix. I told my doctor I wanted to think it over, read a lot of posts here and I'll let her know on Monday. I like that she's leaving it up to me. She prefers to remove it (preventive measure), but doesn't mind if I keep it. I have polycystic ovary disease and a uterine fibroid. I'm anemic from horrendous 18+ day periods.

I'd love to hear your thoughts/experiences regarding the cervix.

Thanks and hugs to all of you. Thank you for being here.

Jennifer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2010, 11:27 PM
Re: Remove vs. leave cervix

P.S. I'm seeing posts about bowel preps. Does everyone have to do that? My doctor didn't order that. Should I be worried about that?
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:55 AM

Hi Jennifer I am just recovering from my laperoscopic hysterectomy, the surgeon took my ovaries and left my cervix. I was amazed at how tiny the scars were considering he also removed a huge fibroid weighing 1 kilo along with several others too. I had suffered with horrendous periods and pain and had previously had two separate ops to laser the lining of the uterus in order to stop the heavy bleeding as well as remove some smaller fibroids. Unfortunately, the fibroids grew again and were growing at a rate of knots - I was so bloated and looked pregnant, and they were causing so many problems with my other organs too. I had had enough.

The reasoning in leaving the cervix if its healthy, as my gynaecologist explained it to me is that it supports the pelvic floor, so you are less likely to have a prolapse later on. He said he would want his wife to keep her cervix if she was in the same position - so I went with that. It would mean still having a smear test every three years, but I reckon its worth it.

Had my op on 2 July and I can honestly say I feel really good, hardly any pain - the hot flushes are a nuiscience, however, I am leaning how to cope with them before I decide what to do.

I didnt have any bowel prep before the op - if you are regular anyway, you should be OK. The only thing I did take which I really believed helped, is ARNICA, a herbal supplement to help the body cope with the shock of surgery. I know its a personal thing, but I do believe it assisted me.

I am sure you will be fine, and as you are keeping one of your ovaries, even better, as it wont be so drastic on your body.

Just make sure you stay healthy and relax, you are going to feel a whole lot better afterwards for sure!

A big hug and good luck wishes xx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-23-2010, 06:56 AM

If you leave it in, will your dr. cauterize it so you won't have the possibility of monthly bleeding (mini-periods)? Something to check, since you've had bleeding issues previously. Is there any family history of cervical cancer?
Mine was left in, but I didn't have a choice. It was supposed to come out, but dr. decided to leave it in during surgery. I don't have any of the 'low down pain' others have reported, so I think keeping it makes recovery a little easier at least.
Unread 07-23-2010, 07:27 AM

mine was taken out. no choice -- doc knew i wanted her to leave it if it looked possible, however, the position of the fibroid made this impossible. i made peace withat that outcome before the surgery, in case. not sure how things will play out in the long run, but i am hoping to build plenty of pelvic support as the years go by -- i am only 42, in relatively good shape, and elected my surgery due to fibroids rather than any life-threatening cause. not that i was high-risk, but now i have no risk of cervical cancer. i would have preferred to keep the cervix, but since i couldn't, at least i know i now have no risk of "mini-periods" or problems with cervix later on. hopefully it's helped to minimize my chances of needing any additional procedures in the future.

since there's no "dotted line" where surgeon knows to cut cervix from uterus, your surgeon's skill is important here in this matter. my thinking was that cervix must play some role in my body, so if it's healthy, why take it? my surgeon's thinking was that she could not find a way to safely separate it from uterus with fibroid in the way, positioned low and behind. so i'd say it's wise for you to decide what you want, but make your peace with either outcome -- you need to have a level of confidence and trust in your doc that she'll do the right thing once she's got a clear picture of the inside of you.

wishing you a smooth surgery and recovery. hang in there!!!
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:35 AM

Wow, you guys really gave me some things to think about. I appreciate that. There are good arguments for both removing and leaving it. What comforted me the most is that I think I'll be ok either way. No family history of cervical cancer. I'm so glad you're all doing ok as well and willing to share your stories.

Wapspotapprider, when you say "build plenty of pelvic support as the years go by," what do you mean by that? Do you mean by certain exercises? Kegels? Not sure what you mean.

Thanks all,
Jennifer
Unread 07-23-2010, 08:46 AM

I had them leave mine. The info I have is about prolapse, length of the vagina, etc. and structural issues There are many factors but the doctors I've talked to said that when at all possible, it's a benefit if you can leave it in. My doctor cauterized the cervix to prevent any possible spread of cancer cells. Yes, Kegels are the thing. I just saw an ad on TV for some machine, but basically any good exercises are designed to have you tightening the pelvic floor muscles. Squeezing like you are trying to stop urine flow and holding it. Good luck to you and let us know how you are. Hugs~
Unread 07-23-2010, 11:49 AM

Hi Jennifer

It's great that your doctor respects your decisions about your own body.

You say that you have a fibroid, and that may add another factor to your decision. The cervix is more than a part of the uterus than a separate organ itself; if your uterus has grown a fibroid, it's possible that the cervix can do so after a hysterectomy. Several women here have posted about having fibroid-related problems several years after a hysterectomy. Ask your doctor how that could be addressed if it were to happen.

I had my cervix removed due to a bad pap and dysplasia, and I haven't experienced pelvic support problems so far.

with making this decision. As you say, there's a lot to consider.

Unread 07-23-2010, 12:03 PM

I did not have to do a bowel prep. I chose to have mine taken out because I did not want a chance of mini periods. I am having no problems with it being gone. I did not want to take a chance of having to have another surgery to have it taken out either. I still have to go once a year for the pap smear for the vaginal tissue. It is a personal decision though. Best wishes.
Unread 07-23-2010, 01:06 PM

Jennifer - we are going in the same day. My surgeon said that it's all one organ and as someone else mentioned, there's no dotted line. I have all kinds of fibroids including a couple of big ones, so no choice here. Cervix is going.

I am going insane about the ovary decision though. My surgeon is leaving that decision up to me.

Good luck on Tuesday!

Oh - and I DO have to do bowel prep. The new and improved Citromag might be new but it's sure not IMPROVED! I had a colonoscopy a few weeks ago and that stuff tastes brutal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register