Keep The Cervix Or Not Keep The Cervix... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Keep The Cervix Or Not Keep The Cervix... Keep The Cervix Or Not Keep The Cervix...

Unread 12-12-2001, 07:37 AM
Keep The Cervix Or Not Keep The Cervix...

At my pre-op with the doctor yesterday we went over the entire procedure. She could not believe all the wonderful questions I had to ask her (thanks to all of you). She was impressed with all that I knew about the surgery, and seemed excited that I was this involved. I was pretty darn impressed with myself too!!

Then she asks whether I want to keep my cervix or not. I had planned all along on it coming out.... Had envisioned the entire procedure in my little head. And it seems at the last minute she gives me an option. I have had bad paps in the past, but the last one was "normal". I told her that I had planned on it coming out and had "phsyched myself up" for that. She said to think about it.

Could I get some opinions on this. My biggest fear is keeping it, then having another bad pap in the future and having to go in for yet another surgery...

Help!!!

Michelle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2001, 07:51 AM

Hi Michelle! Many opt to keep their cervix if it is healthy. I had a TVH so of course mine went with the uterus. This is probably something you will have to decide with your doc's help. Personally I might think twice about keeping it if you have a history of abnormal paps. Just my opinion.

Sherry
Unread 12-12-2001, 08:08 AM

Whether or not to keep your cervix is a difficult question to answer, each of us has to make a decision that's best for ourselves, but I can give you some things to think about. Discuss these things with your doctor, and between the two of you, you can make the best decision for YOU.

1. Cancer. Is there any history of cancer in your family? Removing the cervix drastically lowers your chances of cervical cancer (still a remote possibility due to the chance of some cells being left behind). Since you said you had some abdormal paps, I would definitely consider this.

2. Bleeding. Some women who keep their cervix end up having "mini-periods" monthly (only if they also have at least one ovary). These seem to be rare, and are very light, but are a possibility.

3. Sex. There are many conflicting opinions on whether the cervix contributes to sexual pleasure. Ask 10 people, you'll get 10 different answers. I can say in MY case, at least, sex is wonderful after the surgery (I had my cervix removed). My doctor told me it wouldn't make a difference, and in my case at least, she was right - neither myself nor my husband can tell any difference.

Keep reading, talk to your doctor, and good luck with your decision!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-12-2001, 08:14 AM

I've read several posts from women here that said they had "mini-periods" when they kept there cervix. You may want to do a search on mini-periods. Also there may be some post on The Road Less Traveled boards about this. Since you have had abnormal paps in the past I would also think hard about it. I never had an abnormal pap but since mine was done vaginally the cervix had to come out anyway.
Unread 12-12-2001, 09:03 AM

HI MICHELLA,

I TOO HAD QUESTIONS ABOUT THIS. I HAD ABNORMAL PAP SMEARS IN THE PAST THAT TURNED OUT TO BE CHRONIC CERVICITIS. MY LAST PAP WAS ALSO NORMAL. I HAVE DECIDED TO HAVE IT OUT JUST IN CASE. MY DOCTOR ASSURES ME THAT IT WOULD NOT MAKE A DIF. AS FAR AS SEX. ANOTHER SURGERY LATER ON WAS ALSO MY FEAR. IT'S A VERY PERSONAL DECISION AND I KNOW A HARD ONE. I JUST WANTED TO GIVE YOU SOME SUPPORT BECAUSE I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THE EXACT SAME THING. SORRY I COULDN'T GIVE YOU MORE HELP. GOOD LUCK AND TRY TO HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY ANYWAY!!!!!!

SHELBY

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register