Nicotine patch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Nicotine patch Nicotine patch

Unread 10-03-2002, 02:12 PM
Nicotine patch

Yesterday during my endo biopsy, I asked my doctor if he could slap a nicotine patch on me - anywhere will do - so that I can instantly start my nonsmoking days. He said sure.

I'm thinking I'll have to give up coffee, cokes, cigarettes ... someone tell me, what can I do with myself if I don't have all those things to help through the day!!!!!!!!!! How do you nonsmokers do it?

eeekkkk

P.S. - If someone says that I should exchange all my bad habits for "exercizing" I will croak...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2002, 02:27 PM
Nicotine patch

Hi Angie,

Same name as mine (well it's angela but family calls me angie)
I smoke to and forgot to ask about the patch but i really never wanted to smoke at all for the three days i was at the castle. sorry to say i started back as soon as i came home (boy what a rush with that first one). i also could not drink coke or any soft drinks for probably 5 or 6 days (don't know why, just the thought of them made me sick). now am back to all my bad habits but i sit around all day by myself while dh is at work and really need something to keep me busy ha ha.

I say everyone has to have some habits!!!

Good Luck,

AFR
Unread 10-03-2002, 02:28 PM
I smoke too

Well finally someone brought up some nasty habits! I also am asking my surgeon to put on a patch I was thinking this may be the way! I went from marlboro to marlboro lights when I got sick one time I think this is a little bit more severe Shall we try?? My surgery is tues When is yours?? If any one can help us I know I would love to hear it!<SANDRA> Having tah Oct 8 Surgical menopause Will be at my door
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2002, 02:33 PM
Nicotine patch

I'm 11 days post op and looks like angiehope is soon to follow you. your time is coming up fast. the waiting really is the worst part. the first week is not fun but the day after my week was up was like night and day. its like all of the sudden i felt better.

good luck to you guys,

see you on the other side

AFR
TAH/Left tube
9-23-02
Unread 10-03-2002, 03:26 PM
I quit in 7 days!

I smoked for over 30 years. I have quit many times but always went back and even when I did quit I would think about cigarettes all the time. I've gone to Smoke Enders classes, hypnotists, cut back gradually, the patch and always went back. A few months ago I started hearing commercials about a natual way. Well, go to www.Smokeaway.com and order the package. Its $59.95 and well worth it!!! I have been smoke free now for over a month, I don't think about it, I don't crave it and can actually smell things for the first time! It really did help me quit!!!!! Go read about it--it REALLY DOES WORK and does EVERYTHING that it says it does!s

Unread 10-04-2002, 03:38 AM
Nicotine patch

i had smoked for 17 years! never had tried to quit. never wanted to. i had cervical cancer though. i decided to quit when i walked into the hospital. i did fine at hospital. had enough pain med and had no desire to go on the hike outside for a smoke! my tah/bso was on 9/16. i was bad and smoked a half of a cigarette on Monday. i went two weeks and blew it, now i NEED that half of a cigarette. soon it'll be a whole one and so on. it's pretty bad that even the scare of cancer isn't greater than the need! i'm going to check out that website, if anybody finds anything else that works for them, please let me know. good luck to you all.
Unread 10-04-2002, 07:00 AM
Nicotine patch

Cindy, I hope you are healing well.

As for me, I'm going to get that darn patch. Once I go in the hospital, that's got to be it for me. I can't do half cigarettes - I'm just too obsessive compulsive. All or nothin'! So I have to just *stop* once I walk in the hospital.

Don't know if I can do it, but I'll try. I'm not paying any $$$ for a stop-smoking thing, because the worst enemy I have is ME. I'm going to take some vitamins and other things that I found on the Internet that help you stop cravings (herbs and stuff). But that's about it when it comes to spending $$$.

Did you hear they are thinking of adding another 50 cents in taxes to each pack of cigs?
Unread 10-04-2002, 08:22 AM
Nicotine patch

I am an ex-smoker. Quit one year ago. My husband & daughters quit as well. My husband was diagnosed with lung cancer in February of this year & we are dealing with that spector daily. Yet, the nicotine beast keeps calling! My dd & I can't believe that we could still even consider smoking again with my husbands condition.

Speaking from my own experience, it is easy to quit - difficult to STAY quit! You just have to have determination & resist on a day to day basis.

I won't get on a soap box with anyone about this subject. I think, even though we all know we will pass from this life at some point, we still don't believe it! Kind of strange. Anyway, I am feeling much better since quitting & find the odor offensive when around smokers. I wish you all the best in your endeavors to quit. It really is worth it.

Just my opinion FWIW.

Good luck,
Mongie
Unread 10-04-2002, 08:26 AM
Nicotine patch

saving $ is definitely a plus. i am getting paid 60% of my salary while i'm off work. i was very worried. how can we survive for two months on half my pay. well, my dh smoked too and stopped when i did. he has quit before. he can take it leave it. which i realize i've not been making my trips to walmart either, but i still had $ left after paying the bills and dulling out allowances and lunch $, etc. that shows how much we blow on those nasty things! good luck to you. hope you can make it through. i'm throwing away this half a pack of cigarettes that we have here that keep calling my name. i feel like i am smoking them because they are here, not because i NEED it. hard to explain. thank you for the well wishes. it's really not been as bad as i expected. no real bad pain. i'm just really bored!! good luck for an uneventful surgery!
Unread 10-04-2002, 09:03 AM
Nicotine patch

Keep in touch - once I have my surgery, I'll need buddies to chat with! I can't WAITTTTTTTTTTT for this surgery! After that stupid biopsy Wednesday, I am now bleeding half to death and the cramps are *killing* me. I assume it's my period and not just a result of the biopsy, but man, I hurt so much and I can't wait to never feel this again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register