a question about the steri-strip--Update! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a question about the steri-strip--Update! a question about the steri-strip--Update!

Unread 01-31-2006, 07:52 PM
a question about the steri-strip--Update!

I have the steri-strip on my incision. I think that is what its called anyways. But there are stitches under it with a knot at each end. My doctor told me in 7 days after discharge(tomorrow) to cut the one of the knots and pull the string out from under the strip. Well, this is easy for him to say but I am getting real nervous about this whole thing. My dh and I even asked the nurse before we left the hospital about it and she said it's no big deal and showed us again how to remove the string. Has anyone else ever done this? I have had no problem with my incision at all but I really don't feel comfortable having my husband pull this thing out! Also, we don't know whether to keep the steri-strip on or does this come off too. I think I will have to call the office tomorrow about this. My husbands thinks I should go there and have it done but its 45 minutes away and I really don't feel like driving that far if it's really no big deal. Has anyone else had something lilke this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 08:23 PM

It would be a good idea to call the doctor. I have stitches inside and steri-strips on the outside. No string to pull out. I would think that the steri-strip would stay in place.

I have an appointment with my doctor this Thursday and I imagine he will remove my strips then. It was suppose to be a two week post op appointment but I couldn't get in until three weeks.

Donna
TAH/BSO--Age 37
Unread 01-31-2006, 08:32 PM

I also have steri strips...I had take a shower the day after I came home and noticed that the band aids that were on my belly were coming off..Well- when I went to take them off one of the stri strips started coming off..
I talked to my docs office today and the nurse said that if the strips come off thats ok- now she didnt say anythhing abotu me taking them off..ANd I didnt notice any knots on them either...
Call your docs office and check with them..Explain the drive issue and they may offer an alternative..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-31-2006, 08:50 PM

I had stitches on the inside and staples on the outside. I was in the hospital 4 days. On my last day in the hospital the nurse removed my staples and applied the steri strips. My doctor told me before she released me that they would come off on their own in about 7 days. They did. Call your doctor if the idea of removing your stitches on your own is uncomfortable. I hope everything goes well for you.
Unread 01-31-2006, 11:53 PM

Hi,
My Mom-in-law and I had steri strips about the same time for different types of surgeries...mine fell off right away, after staples were removed. MIL's were bigger and stronger but they started to curl up at the ends. She trimmed them until they finally fell off. I would also let the doctor or their nurse know if you are not comfortable with pulling the cord. It sure seems like all doctors are different!
Take care,
Judy
Unread 02-01-2006, 01:20 AM

I had Steri-Strips for this surgery and for a neck surgery a couple of years ago. For the neck surgery, I also had a continuous suture, one that is basically a thread wound through the length of the incision, kind of like the spiral in a notebook. I felt virtually nothing when the ENT pulled it out; in fact, it was over before I even knew he was doing it. And the Steri-Strips started falling off soon after both surgeries, and those that didn't fall off were taken off by the doctors, less than 7 days post-op by the ENT and about 12 days post-op by the OB/GYN.

Don't fret about either the strips or the sutures, but I think I'd let the doc take care of the stitches; he or she is the trained professional. And just tell your doctor that you're nervous about them.

Take care!

Pat
Unread 02-01-2006, 04:27 AM

No offense, but that's the most insensitive thing I've heard! If I were you I would call the doctor and INSIST he remove the stitches. Remember you're paying him for a service, insist he provide the service. You don't have MD or RN after your name. I'm still reeling from your post.
Unread 02-01-2006, 08:39 AM

well i didn't have the continual stich for this surgery, but i did for another one that i had. it isn't bad. just gab on end with some twisers and snip the knot and then pull the other end. kinda feels wierd, but don't hurt. BUt if you don't think you can do it go to your doc. I agree with lovemygrands33 you are paying your doctor. as far as the steri-strip they will fall off. once your insicion is closed and you can shower without covering they get lose and fall right off. best of luck!!
Unread 02-01-2006, 09:07 AM
a question about the steri-strip (update)

Hi everyone! Thank you for all the help. I called the doctors office and spoke to the nurse. She also seemed quite confused as to what I had to do so she talked to the doctor and called me back. She said I'm NOT suppose to pull the string out, I just have to cut the knots on the strings that are hanging out on both ends. These are disolvable stitches and the knots just need to be cut. WHEW!! I feel much better about the whole thing. I'm really glad I called!!! I guess with all the excitement of leaving the hospital I really didn't listen well to what the doctor was telling me. I am so glad that I found this site!!! I also asked about me going pee all the time and he is calling me in a prescription for a bladder infection. He wanted me to go to a lab and give a urine speciman but I am stuck here at home today with no ride because my husband is out of town until tomorrow. So he said it could be an infection or just pressure on my bladder from the surgery. Either way I will start the antibiotic and see what happens. Thanks again everyone!!!
Unread 02-01-2006, 01:35 PM

OH glad you called. that could have been bad had you tried to pull the string out! gald to hear you are going ok. best of luck!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register