Overwieght ladies - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Overwieght ladies Overwieght ladies

Unread 01-01-2007, 10:19 PM
Overwieght ladies

Thanks so much ladies for all of the advice!
Im so thankful for all of you !
Its so good to have the support we have and understanding! WE are not alone!Take care
and God Bless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-01-2007, 11:42 PM
Overwieght ladies

I am rather cuddly and have a c-section scar that has looked horrible since I recieved it. My doc saw the scar and my whole stomach while I was standing. He said that did not heal well and need repairs. So he is taking the csection scar and my old appendix scar and rebuild am smoother surface. I know I am heavy, but smoother would be nice!
Unread 01-02-2007, 12:14 AM
Overwieght ladies

LOL, ladies, i am not fluffy, I am fat! My dr pointed out that being over weight put me at higher risks of bleeding problems and also infections after surgery. I did not have any bleeding problems, during or after surgery, but I did have one infection. My incision is also vertical due to the size of my uterus (almost twice normal). I already had a c-section scar there so that didn't bother me. You will do fine, the hardest part is the waiting before.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2007, 03:16 AM
paper towel "trick" and ashtma

I was shocked when I had my staples pulled out 5 days post op that my outer area had mostly healed. I had one .5 in section on my left side that wasn't healed. It did with in a few days. I had a horizontal bikini cut. I did the hair dryer trick but also took a small piece (ok half a sheet, ripped with the grain) of paper towel under there-after I was home. Changed it when I went potty. Since my wound was healed, it was a comfort factor thing. I haven't been weighed since 5 days post op so my visit (3 wk check) should be interesting. I do wish I've dropped some.

Some mentioned concern about ashtma... I have very well controlled ashtma- one ER visit in 20yrs. I only maybe need my rescue inhaler 2x a month if that. I did have an attack as I was coming out of the anesthesia. I was moving air but it was labored. I say this not to scare you all as once I said something meds were brought on board and i was fine. Please be sure your surgereon has in their orders the type of ashtma meds you use. MIne was delayed by a few minutes since mine didn't. Like I said- it was a blip on the radar and not a concern once I was awake.
Unread 01-02-2007, 06:52 AM
Overwieght ladies

I am a (very) fat asthmatic. I use a preventer, and pills and a rescue inhaler as well as steroids every now and then. I had no trouble with the general anasthetic at all, nor with the incision.(Well o.k. I got an infection, but it was treated at home and cleared up with no problems.) Ask your doctor for a nebuliser the morning of your surgery, just to get your lungs in the best condition and do any and all breathing exercises you can. Good Luck
Catopurling
Unread 01-02-2007, 11:26 AM
Overwieght ladies

I like to think of myself as a Woman of Substantial Girth. Sounds regal somehow, LOL! Yep, 5'5, 215, Dunlap syndrome. (I love that!)
With an allergy to soap as well as many other things, I have to be really careful to rinse and dry well these overhang and tight squinchy groin areas. I installed a hand shower attachment and can now shower "up" to get those places. Really helps alot.
I asked about the removal of fat at same time and was told that it increased risk and healing time. I think maybe I'll ask again.
Unread 01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Overwieght ladies

Ok I have some of you ladies beat by a 100lbs.
I was cut vertically also, 4 inches above and below the belly button. By being cut vertically I don't think you have to worry about overhang, that is why I was cut that way so the weight of my belly wouldn't pull on or out the staples.
I did have a minor infection when I left the hospital, (the staples were hot and there was a small red area that surrounded the staples). I came home with antibotics 2x's a day.
For me the vertical cut is easier to keep clean and dry although it looks like you have a zipper running down it afterwards.
One thing I did do before the surgery was to go to JoAnn fabrics and purchase 4 yards of 3inch wide elastic, along with eye hooks and fastners. I measured my stomach area minus 3 inches and created my own stomach binder, since it was impossible to find one in the medical supply store that fit me with paying over $100 for. My binder is three strips wide and tacked together at the 1/4 marks. I only had a month to prepare for my surgery otherwise I would have covered it in a pretty cloth for the holiday season. The binder does help when you start to walk around after the staples are out.
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Overwieght ladies

Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceomt2002
I've stopped smoking, and carbonated beverages are now a treat instead of a necessity.
Lena
Lena does this include diet soda's? I've dumped the regular soda's but have a diet Coke instead since they have no fat or calories. It's hard going cold turkey.
Unread 01-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Overwieght ladies

Hi had a vertical cut done because i am also on the fluffy side(as my dr. says)My dr. did it that way so it would heal up. she was worried that doing it the other way it wouldn't heal right.
Hope the surgery goes good for you
Unread 01-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Stomach overhang

Ladies who are worried preop about your stomach overhang --

I have good news and bad news: If you didn't have an overlap before your surgery, you will afterwards. We all do -- at least with the horizontal incisions. Not a problem as far as healing. I'm 3 weeks post surgery (abdominal hysterectomy) and all of us are complaining about this and hoping it's temporary. (Too soon to tell.)

HHHope

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register