Leg pain after surgery | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Leg pain after surgery Leg pain after surgery

Unread 03-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Leg pain after surgery

I just had my hysterectomy on March 16th. About a week ago I started having severe leg pain from my knees down. I have no idea what would cause it but it is so bad it feels like my legs are going to break in half. I asked my about it but he has no clue what could be causing it. I have had many surgeries in the past and have never had anything like this happen before. Does anyone know what it could be or how long it will last?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2011, 11:26 PM
Re: Leg pain after surgery

are you sure it isn't a blood clot? i would go to the ER
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:34 PM

I agree with Laurieinwa. It could be a blood clot. Surely your doctor has enough sense to do a doppler to find out? Having pain in the lower leg is one of the things to watch out for!

If your doctor doesn't know, please go to the ER.

Alternatively, it could be nerves coming back to life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-29-2011, 11:36 PM

That's what I thought at first but my doctor said its not because my surgery was two weeks ago. He said if I were going to get a clot, I would have gotten it before now. The pain is in both legs and it is horrible in the morning but lets up a little in the afternoons. I have no clue what it could be, I just know it is horrible pain.
Unread 03-29-2011, 11:50 PM

If you have strong pain, and 1 doctor doesn't know why, see another doctor, please.
Unread 03-30-2011, 12:02 AM

Here in Aus, we are advised to wear compression stockings for 3-6 WEEKS after surgery. Please, please, please, get it checked out. If you throw a clot to your lungs or heart it will be life threatening.
Unread 03-30-2011, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryle76 View Post
That's what I thought at first but my doctor said its not because my surgery was two weeks ago. He said if I were going to get a clot, I would have gotten it before now. The pain is in both legs and it is horrible in the morning but lets up a little in the afternoons. I have no clue what it could be, I just know it is horrible pain.
I had a blood clot (DVT) at 3 weeks post op, and I've read posts by members who have had blood clots several months post op. The fact that you are experiencing pain in both legs is encouraging because it's unlikely to get a clot in both legs. However, I'm not a doctor, so I would suggest a trip to the ER to find out what's causing the pain. I'm surprised your own doctor didn't address that.

When I had my clot, the pain didn't get better as the day progressed; it got worse. The fact that yours gets better during the day is a good sign.

Call your doctor again. If he isn't helpful perhaps a trip to the ER is in order.

I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 03-30-2011, 11:29 AM

I also had leg pain a week or 2 after surgery, it was more uncomfortable than painful. It went away on its on, but I agree with everyone go get it checked out.
Unread 04-03-2011, 01:25 AM

The pain finally went away. It lasted for about a week and then I woke up one morning and it was gone. I still have no idea what caused it but I am thankful that it is gone. After the leg pain went away I had a massive headache for a couple of days and now it's gone also. Thanks to everyone who replied. I was scared that it was a blood clot but my doctor assured me that the pain wouldn't be in both legs and it would not get better as the day progressed if it were a clot. I guess it was just one of those freak things that happened and went away.
Unread 04-03-2011, 06:45 AM

The lovely positioning during surgery is probably the culprit. It can cause nerve problems.
I still have issues with both legs, but mostly on the right side.
New PCP did send me for ultrasound to make sure I didn't have a clot, and that was seven months after the fact. Blod clots can develop long after surgery, sometimes it can take a while for them to get big enough to cause a problem.
For safety sake, be sure to let your DR know.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register