Test Results----Any comments? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Test Results----Any comments? Test Results----Any comments?

Unread 01-12-2006, 12:15 PM
Test Results----Any comments?

1) My pap came back with atypical cells
2) The cervical cancer causing virus HPV is present
4) She will check for dysplasia on Monday
3) My thyroid levels are twice the normal level
4) My progesterone levels are abnormal which could account for the abnormal bleeding.
5) I have to go back on Monday for a Biopsy and an ultrasound.
6) She commented that I should not be alarmed because I am already scheduled for the hysterectomy which will alleviate the problems.

Any one with the same things? Should I be scared to death? I am by the way......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2006, 12:21 PM

Hi Carolyn, Just wanted to say I wish you the very best. I can't say that I have similar problems, but from reading your post it sounds as though your Dr is doing the very best for you. Take good care! Melanie
Unread 01-12-2006, 12:48 PM

I also had atypical papsmear results and the virus that causes cancer present, they did the byopsy and found dyspasia, then did a coning and found it was severe and I needed a hysterectomy. I find it strange they are doing all this to you even though you are already going to have a hysterectomy. Maybe they were considering leaving your cervix, but if you have dysplasia they would want to take it out too.?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-12-2006, 12:51 PM

She was considering leaving it. I have uterine prolapse with a host of others as well.
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:02 PM

High risk strains of HPV cause over 90% of cervical cancer. If you have high risk strains of HPV at your age, then you should strongly lean towards having your cervix removed, as assuming that you are in your 40's, you may have had the high-risk strains of HPV for 10+ years (most women acquire it in their 20's in college, but only if their immune system isn't able to fight it do they retain the virus for a very long time, and over time it develops signs of abnormal pre-cancerous cells).

I'm a strong advocate on this forum of keeping the cervix when women DON'T have HPV (because they are unlikely to get it in their 40's if they haven't had it already), and when pap smears are normal, but am completely reversed on the position if a women has a high-risk strain of HPV and does have abnormal pap smears.

My vote would be to have your cervix removed along with your hyterectomy.

-Torrie
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:03 PM

Don't be scared. I had abnormal paps that progressed to dysplasia/CIN3 with an aggressive strain of HPV...I had biopsies and a LEEP and D&C's, and have a prolapsed uterus as well.

I went on this way for a long period of time until I have finally made the logical choice to quit while I'm ahead. My reign in the Castle begins on 19 Jan with my pre-op and my surgery on the 20th

It's all overwhelming and being girls...we tend to let our minds run to the worstcase scenarios, but it sounds as if your doc is on top of it and that you are in good hands and will both persue the wisest course of action for you.

Don't be afraid to tell her you are scared and overwhelmed and confused if you are. I had a long time to digest all that was happening to me because it came in stages (which made denial oh, so much easier by the way)...but you have been hit with alot and deserve to have it spelled out for you.

You are in the right place and this is a great place to begin getting information.

Deep Breaths! and I send youa big

JElle
Unread 01-12-2006, 01:21 PM

[quote=Torrie]High risk strains of HPV cause over 90% of cervical cancer. If you have high risk strains of HPV at your age, then you should strongly lean towards having your cervix removed, as assuming that you are in your 40's,

I just turned 36 in November.
Unread 01-12-2006, 07:46 PM

Hi,
Easier said then done, but please son't be scared. I had severe dysplasia also. I had a TVH almost 2 months ago, now it's all behind me
I would strongly suggest you get more information on keeping your cervix. I am 48, so I didnt need it. Im so happy about everything now. I wish you the very best !!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register