Was not told about fibroids for 3 years, I'm a little upset! How did you find out about your fibroids? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Was not told about fibroids for 3 years, I'm a little upset! How did you find out about your fibroids? Was not told about fibroids for 3 years, I'm a little upset! How did you find out about your fibroids?

Unread 04-14-2017, 10:48 PM
Was not told about fibroids for 3 years, I'm a little upset! How did you find out about your fibroids?

Getting ready for my hysterectomy on May 18th went to my PCM the other day & asked for copies of all the ultrasounds, MRI's & Cat scan reports. She is the one that referred me to my gyn, which in 2015 he told me about the fibroid (1) that the ultrasound found but not her. She sent me to him because of the large complex cyst on my left ovary.

Well I'm sitting there the other day reading through these reports. Came across one that was from 2012 where it stated multiple fibroids were found. I'm a little shocked by this because my PCM never told me about them! (needless to say I will be going back & asking for all my records) I've been in to see the base doctors for years for my pelvic pain & passing large clots. Was always made to feel things are normal & the pain is all in my head never once mentioning these fibroids.

Maybe it's all my emotions/hormones being out of wack right now but I am upset that this was not disclosed to me back in 2012. Am I making a big deal out of this? Is it normal to do a wait & see? How did you find out about your fibroids? How long did it take before things were done for your pain?

Sorry if I'm making a big deal out of this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2017, 06:16 AM
Was not told about fibroids for 3 years, I'm a little upset! How did you find out about your fibroids?

No I don't think you're making a big deal of this; it's your body, and you have a right to know what's going on with it. As for my fibroids, I had a routine ultrasound in 2006, because I was having digestive issues, and they were an incidental discovery. At that point, they were small and not bothering anything, so my doctor and I chose a "watchful waiting" approach, involving annual ultrasounds. Then in 2014, I reported having urinary issues, and my annual ultrasound showed that one of the fibroids was the size of a grapefruit, and pressing on my bladder. When my doctor did a manual examination, he was shocked at how large it had grown, and that was when he made the call for surgery. The surgery went well, and completely resolved my urinary issues, as I hope it will for you. Best wishes for a successful surgery and a smooth recovery!
Unread 04-15-2017, 09:51 AM
Re: Was not told about fibroids for 3 years, I'm a little upset! How did you find out about your fibroids?

Hello
You should never complain for making a big deal about your health. Advocate for you! And yes the doctor totally dropped the ball on this important diagnosis. My OB brought it to my attention immediately. Order the ultrasound and sonogram and have monitored it for years after. As my cycle began changing it was great to compare the films to determine how much the fibroids have changed. Last year I had an IUD put in, in hopes of shrinking the fibroids. It didn't work. In January, I had heavy prolonged periods with large clots. Well after getting another ultrasound there was no surprise as to what was happening. Those dam fibroids protruded in the uterine wall. All of happened in the last 3 years. I am ready to take my life back... my surgery is scheduled for May 9th and I can't wait! So you do what is necessary to get to the bottom of whatever is going on with your body. If necessary get a 2nd and 3rd opinion. Well wishes sister.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2017, 09:55 AM
Re: Was not told about fibroids for 3 years, I'm a little upset! How did you find out about your fibroids?

Thank you Tiger Eye. It just hit me hard to read that after all I've been through with the doctors on base (their telling me everything is fine it's normal pain). I've tried everything they have wanted me to do. It's hard to trust them anymore.

It gives me great hope to read & hear that people are getting relief from their surgery. I'm excited & nervous but this website & all you sisters are wonderful! Thank you!
Unread 04-15-2017, 08:27 PM

Dornerma,
Thanks for your reply & for sharing. Sending lots of best wishes for a speedy recovery, keep us updated!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register