TAH - Keep Cervix or not ? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH - Keep Cervix or not ? TAH - Keep Cervix or not ?

Unread 03-21-2011, 04:24 AM
TAH - Keep Cervix or not ?

Hi all,

I am on the wait list for a TAH keeping ovaries if healthy.

Please excuse my ignorance but there are so many different procedures i'm starting to get a bit confused !

When you have a TAH do they take your cervix unless you state you want to keep it and what are the advantages and disadvantages of keeping or not please !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2011, 07:44 AM
Re: TAH - Keep Cervix or not ?

a TAH includes taking the cervix, I do believe. My first doctor wanted to take my cervix- he said that data shows that it serves no purpose, and you still have to get pap smears, and may get cervical cancer. I have never had problems with abnormal paps though- and the thought of taking it out and having to make a new ending for my vagina just really freaks me out! The doctor that I am having do the surgery is going to leave it if it looks healthy. I am all about them taking as little of me as possible.
Unread 03-21-2011, 08:44 AM

coolagorna

A total hysterectomy removes the uterus and cervix. A partial hysterectomy removes only the uterus. If you elect to keep your cervix, then your TAH will become an SAH (subtotal or supracervical abdominal hysterectomy). You're correct in that a total (or complete) hysterectomy doesn't include removal of the ovaries, which is a common misconception.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-21-2011, 05:16 PM

It depends on why you need the op my cervix was removed with uterus as I had abnormal periods. Plus I had a tilted cervix it is easier to remove than leave in but if left in you will get mini periods and will still need smears. For me I feel better with it out. No more bleeds no more pain and no more smears. And I am doing well 10 weeks on
Unread 03-21-2011, 07:51 PM

Just a bit of info here: You may get mini periods. I have read that 7 to 12% (or was it 25%) of women who keep their cervix will have mini periods. I was like damiana and wanted my surgeon to do as little as possible inside me. I also did not have any risk factors so I kept mine. I am almost 5 months out and no mini periods so far. One bonus for me was that I didn't have to deal with the stitches from a vaginal cuff as the stitches are on the other side of my cervix (inside my tummy).

Hope this helps.
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:04 PM

I was pretty freaked out about a cervical cuff, and had originally wanted to keep my cervix. After doing some research and questioning my doctor, it was decided to remove my cervix. Very glad I did, they found polyps in my cervix, and I am one who would have had mini periods. Glad I had my hysterectomy, and am feeling fantastic. I didn't realize how badly I felt before surgery, until my hysterectomy. Life is good!
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:36 PM

I had the surpra cervical hysterectomy March 4th. Just didn't like the idea of taking my cervix, and since I've never had a problem with abnormal pap smears I'm not worried about cervical cancer. I have read the leaving your cervix helps with lubrication during sex. Since I am still on the no sex restriction can't answer that one yet..lol
From what I've read the mini period thing only happens if you keep your ovaries and tubes with your cervix.
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:44 PM

hi when i had mine on last month they left my good ovary and took every thing else out. Like the other post says if you keep it you have to keep getting paps done. There is no purpose to it after having a hyst. done. My dr asked me if i wanted to keep it or take it. but recomended me to have it removed. mostly due to being a high risk for cancer. So far I have noticed any differance with it being removed. ie sex.
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM

Just over three months post op, and better lubrication without my cervix than before my hysterectomy Good luck to all of you recovering. This site sure did help me out before my surgery and then for weeks after! I still check in to see how everyone is recovering.
Unread 03-21-2011, 09:49 PM

Even without a cervix, I was told to come back for an exam yearly. They also do vaginal slides. My friend was told the same thing.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register