Only One Day in the Castle!? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Only One Day in the Castle!? Only One Day in the Castle!?

Unread 11-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Only One Day in the Castle!?

Hi, Ladies. On Tuesday, my doctor got my hysterectomy pre-certified with my insurance company. I'm scheduled for a LAVH/BSO on December 7th. I got a letter from my insurance company today confirming the surgery and I noticed they've only allowed one day in the hospital. Is one day enough for an LAVH/BSO?

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-05-2004, 07:29 PM

Hi,

My mom had a LAVH/BSO in Feb. She was in less than 24 hrs. I have seen many on the board come home in one day, some it took more. Don't worry though, the hospital has Utilization Review staff on site to contact your insurance co. if you need more time...it's not a problem. They usually start low and increase your days if you need them.

I am having a TAH/BSO/Colectomy, and it's average 5-7 day stay, but they gave me 2. My dr's office said it's not a big deal, the hospital will contact the insurance for the additional days.

I guess it's just a way of keeping costs down, kind of like hoping for the best preparing for the worst..lol

GL with your surgery!

Erin
Unread 11-05-2004, 07:51 PM

My insurance did the same thing. I called them up and they said no matter what happened or how many days I'd be in the hospital I would only be responsible $xxxx. I was quite grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-06-2004, 12:24 PM

I have heard many people doing it as an out patient procedure.
Unread 11-06-2004, 02:22 PM

I had only an overnight stay after my LAVH/BSO. I was more than ready to go home the next afternoon. I had little in the way of pain and felt great. I couldn't wait to go home.

You'll need less pain meds at home, you'll rest better at home, and you'll be less exposed to other things floating around the hospital!

If your doctor feels you need to stay longer, your insurance company will pay for it, no worry! Your doctor has the final say; if he or she feels it's medically necessary for you to stay, that's not a problem.

Good luck!
Unread 11-06-2004, 04:34 PM

Ditto - I went into the hospital early in the morning and came home the next day before lunch - don't remember exactly what time. But, I was glad to be at home - more restful and comfy for sure.

Unread 11-07-2004, 01:18 PM

Thanks for replying, ladies. I do NOT want to stay in the Castle one more day than I need to. I had gallbladder surgery and was in and out in one day. I also had neurosurgery on a herniated disk and that was done as an outpatient. But, I had a hernia op a year ago and they kept me overnight for that (I would have thought a hernia was a lesser op than gallbladder or diskectomy). So, with all of that, I just thought when they take out almost all of your insides that only one night in the Castle would be a little risky. Anyway, I'm glad to know that it probably won't be any worse than the gallbladder surgery, which was also laparoscopic. That was a breeze!

My DH wants to know if they give you steroids or something when they let you go. He's worried that I'll feel good because of drugs and not because I'm really good.

Thanks,

Chris
Unread 11-07-2004, 02:05 PM

As far as i know, they do NOT give you steriods routinely, unless you had some respiratory issues going on. There would be no reason to.

Erin

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register