bone density scan? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

bone density scan? bone density scan?

Unread 11-10-2007, 11:14 PM
bone density scan?

I'm scheduled to go for a baseline bone density scan on Monday. My internist says that, now that I've had a hyst, we need to know where we stand on this. I can't take HRT so osteoporis might become a problem.

I'm 46 and I didn't think I'd need one of these for at least another 10 to 15 years but I guess the time is now.

Anyone else have one of these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 06:24 AM
bone density scan?

I have arthritis so I had a bone density a few years ago. It's nothing! It's non-invasive and you don't even have to get undressed!

It's one of the easiest tests you can take.
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:52 AM
bone density scan?

I had one a year ago when i was 28 after being on depo provera for 13 years. it is the most simple test i have ever had did not even have to take cloths off!I was found to be ostopenic the pre osteoprossis so am taking calcium and will be on hrt starting the first of the year.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-11-2007, 03:16 PM
bone density scan?

I probably need another bone scan. My chiropractor noticed that my back was beginning to hump. With my cancer, I haven't thought too much about this. I have osteopenia, Tscore -1.49. This is not too low, but my gyn put me of Fosamax which is not a hormone.

I didn't want to take Fosamax, but finally consented.

I plan to talk about this when I go for my 6 week appt.
Unread 11-11-2007, 09:14 PM
bone density scan?

Because I had my ovaries removed, my gyn told me I would have a bone density test every other year. It's the easiest medical test you'll ever have to have--just lie back and relax.

Good luck to you!

Carol
Unread 11-12-2007, 07:44 AM
bone density scan?

I had a bone density test years ago when I broke the same bone twice in two years and they found osteopenia. I was 34 then and have had one evey 5 years since. Just had one before my TAH for record purposes with surgical hormone changes to come. This test is the easiest I've ever had. You lay down on a "bed" and the scanner rolls above you while you hold your breath. Like said before, you don't even have to undress. You should leave all your metalic items off (wear a sports bra and eleastic waistband- no zippers) as they interfere. They give you those instructions before. It's all computerized Piece of cake, and a baseline is a really good idea for future measurements. Good luck, breathe, relax.
JudithL
TAH/BSO
Just 51
Unread 11-12-2007, 11:09 AM
bone density scan?

I had one earlier this year. I have a family history of osteoporosis (no hysters at all - I'm the first) so I wanted a baseline for my own piece of mind. I'll do another one in 5 years. My mother who has taken EXCELLENT care of herself is currently taking shots every day after a 37% bone loss. Scares me

It's very non-invasive.
Unread 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM
bone density scan?

Thanks for all the info. I went for my bone density scan today and the office was dark. I was pretty ticked off. I guess some offsite meeting ran long and they didn't get back in time. I'd better have better luck with this tomorrow. Grrrrr.

From all I can tell, it does seem pretty easy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register