Kidney/Bladder infection!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Kidney/Bladder infection!! Kidney/Bladder infection!!

Unread 10-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Kidney/Bladder infection!!

Well I now have a kidney/bladder infection! I tend to get these alot before, and now after my hysterectomy, I've gotten one again!

This morning I woke up with a 101.2 temperature and achy back. Called my dr and she's calling in a prescription for my kidney infection!

I hope this is the only thing that happens beacuse I'm tired of not feeling well!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-07-2007, 12:15 PM

Gina72

I'm sorry you have another bladder infection. Unfortunately, these can be common following a hysterectomy. Please don't hesitate to contact your doctor again if things deterioriate at any point.

Make sure you continue to rest as much as possible and I hope you're feeling alot better very soon. Take care!

Unread 10-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Bladder infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina72
Well I now have a kidney/bladder infection! I tend to get these alot before, and now after my hysterectomy, I've gotten one again!

This morning I woke up with a 101.2 temperature and achy back. Called my dr and she's calling in a prescription for my kidney infection!

I hope this is the only thing that happens beacuse I'm tired of not feeling well!!
Hi:

I had my 2 week post op yesterday, and all week I have had a problem with pain in my back when sitting and pressure in my lower abdomen as well when urinating. Now the pain in my back occurs even when I am not sitting and I have pain in my abdomen as well that comes and goes. My doctor took a urine test yesterday, but from what I have been reading on the web, I didn't take the proper urine test to test for a bladder infection, that is, I didn't clean myself with a sterile wipe prior to the test, and I didn't catch the urine mid-stream, as recommended. How was your infection diagnosed and what type of test(s) did you take in order to diagnose your condition? I am really uncomfortable now, even as I am typing this e-mail. My doctor prescribed some percocet for the pain and said that she will call me Monday with the results of my test. I don't have a fever. Is it ok to wait until Monday to treat this? In the meantime, I am drinking tons of water and I also bought pure cranberry juice. Until I get treated for this, is there any thing else I can do to ease this pain other than by taking pain medication?

Help!!!!dee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-28-2007, 01:51 AM
I'll try to help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizI
Hi:

I had my 2 week post op yesterday, and all week I have had a problem with pain in my back when sitting and pressure in my lower abdomen as well when urinating. Now the pain in my back occurs even when I am not sitting and I have pain in my abdomen as well that comes and goes. My doctor took a urine test yesterday, but from what I have been reading on the web, I didn't take the proper urine test to test for a bladder infection, that is, I didn't clean myself with a sterile wipe prior to the test, and I didn't catch the urine mid-stream, as recommended. How was your infection diagnosed and what type of test(s) did you take in order to diagnose your condition? I am really uncomfortable now, even as I am typing this e-mail. My doctor prescribed some percocet for the pain and said that she will call me Monday with the results of my test. I don't have a fever. Is it ok to wait until Monday to treat this? In the meantime, I am drinking tons of water and I also bought pure cranberry juice. Until I get treated for this, is there any thing else I can do to ease this pain other than by taking pain medication?

Help!!!!dee
Dee,

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I've had many urinary infections so it was easy to diagnose. The frequency I was peeing (getting up a few times at night) and the color being more than just a pale yellow (mine was orangey almost orangey pink-red tinged). I was running a temp that ranged from 99.2 to 102.3, that's when I called my doctor besides being really sick to my stomach and my back hurting really bad on either side of my spine in my kidney areas. They should do a "clean catch urine" which is what you spoke of and if that doesn't show it, maybe ask them to give you an antibiotic for it just to be on the safe side. UTI's are very common after this surgery from being catheterized.

I have medical background but .... sometimes I am slow on diagnosing myself at times (especially impaired on pain meds!!) LOL

Let me know if you have any other questions!!!!
Unread 10-28-2007, 07:46 AM

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I've had many urinary infections so it was easy to diagnose. The frequency I was peeing (getting up a few times at night) and the color being more than just a pale yellow (mine was orangey almost orangey pink-red tinged). I was running a temp that ranged from 99.2 to 102.3, that's when I called my doctor besides being really sick to my stomach and my back hurting really bad on either side of my spine in my kidney areas. They should do a "clean catch urine" which is what you spoke of and if that doesn't show it, maybe ask them to give you an antibiotic for it just to be on the safe side. UTI's are very common after this surgery from being catheterized.

I have medical background but .... sometimes I am slow on diagnosing myself at times (especially impaired on pain meds!!) LOL

Hi:

Thanks for the feedback... I called my doctor this morning to let her know that I was having almost constant pain in my abdomen and back pain when I am sitting. She called in an antibiotic that I am to take for 5 days. I will pick it up later today. In the meantime the pain medicine does help. Do you think a heating pad would help with the pain?

's, dee
Unread 10-28-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TizI

Hi:

Thanks for the feedback... I called my doctor this morning to let her know that I was having almost constant pain in my abdomen and back pain when I am sitting. She called in an antibiotic that I am to take for 5 days. I will pick it up later today. In the meantime the pain medicine does help. Do you think a heating pad would help with the pain?

's, dee

It could help you some, but the antibiotic will do the most help once it kicks in! Just don't get the heating pad too hot, just a little warm to help and try not to sit too much and take the pressure off the kidneys for a few hours at a time. Eventually you'll get to feeling MUCH MUCH better!
Unread 10-29-2007, 11:25 PM
Bladder infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina72
It could help you some, but the antibiotic will do the most help once it kicks in! Just don't get the heating pad too hot, just a little warm to help and try not to sit too much and take the pressure off the kidneys for a few hours at a time. Eventually you'll get to feeling MUCH MUCH better!
Thanks... I started the antibiotics today... only a matter of time .... 's, dee
Unread 10-30-2007, 06:51 AM

I got a UTI in the hospital and they thought it was gone, but 3 weeks later it was back, they said that they think that it moved into my bladder and now is working on my kidney's. I have been on 4 different kinds of meds and now my lower back is in so much pain. I know what your going thorugh, this really sucks big time. My doc told me that if this doesn't clear up by friday, that i will be back in the hospital. I hope the meds out for you, they haven't worked for me so far. on cipro 2 x's a day @ 500mg and cleocin 3 x's a day @ 150 mg. I hope you feel better real soon. xoxoxo
Unread 10-31-2007, 05:29 PM
Bladder infection

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEAHA
I got a UTI in the hospital and they thought it was gone, but 3 weeks later it was back, they said that they think that it moved into my bladder and now is working on my kidney's. I have been on 4 different kinds of meds and now my lower back is in so much pain. I know what your going thorugh, this really sucks big time. My doc told me that if this doesn't clear up by friday, that i will be back in the hospital. I hope the meds out for you, they haven't worked for me so far. on cipro 2 x's a day @ 500mg and cleocin 3 x's a day @ 150 mg. I hope you feel better real soon. xoxoxo
Hi:

Thanks, it's been 3 days and I still feel pressure in my abdomen, when should I start feeling better? I am on a medicine called: Nitrofurantoin, 100mgs.

Anyway, I hope that the medication you are on clears up your infection and that you won't have to go back into the hospital. I hope you feel better soon as well... Take care, and keep us posted... 's, dee
Unread 11-01-2007, 12:19 PM

Tiz

Well i hope that your med's work for you, mine aren't working again. I now have a fever of 100.4. I have to see my doc tomorrow and then I guess it will be off to the hospital once again. Let me know if those meds work for you.
xoxox
aleaha

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register