LSH Day 15 - bright red bleeding: UPDATE | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Day 15 - bright red bleeding: UPDATE Day 15 - bright red bleeding: UPDATE

Unread 04-02-2011, 07:53 AM
Day 15 - bright red bleeding: UPDATE

I must say...the first 12 days were fine...so why am I now having brown, to pink to bright red bleeding? Is something going wrong or is this part of the post-op course with an LSH?? I don't have the vaginal cuff stitches to be dissolving,etc. so what in the world is this bright red bleeding now?!?

I have called the Drs. office a couple times this week with questions and can tell they are getting annoyed with me calling about my discharge color questions...so it was left yesterday saying "unless it is heavy, don't worry about it"...really? So the fact that I have not had any true bleeding until Day 15 is not a concern? Just scares me so much that something is going wrong in there!! I had the surgery done to stop all this bleeding...am I ever going to be free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2011, 08:35 AM
Re: Day 15 - bright red bleeding

Bright red? I would call them. You are you own best advocate -- you do what you need to do for your health and your peace of mind!
Unread 04-02-2011, 08:43 AM

I also had bright red bleeding around day 15 or so and hadn't done anything but barely spot light pink before that. Mine was extremely heavy and really scared me. Soaked bright red blood through quite a number of overnight maxi pads in 8 hours time. Saw the doctor the next day, but it had largely stopped by then and he couldn't see a problem....until I took an 800 mg ibuprofen when I got back home. Then it tried to start up again. For a week or so, if I took one of those, the bleeding would start up and if I stayed away from them it would taper off. So I quit taking them for a couple of weeks, after which I could take them again with no problem. Makes me wonder if the blood thinning effects of ibuprofen were the cause of it while something on the inside still wasn't quite healed.

Even if you think your doctor is annoyed, if something scares you, you have the right to consult them about it. Better safe than sorry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2011, 10:18 AM

Bright red bleeding that fills a pad an hour is a reason to call your doctor. Other bleeding can be a normal part of healing.

The more active you are, the more chance there is that you can have some bleeding. Even without a vaginal cuff, there is still healing going on where the upper portion of the uterus was removed from the cervix. Either those incision areas have been cauterized or stitched in some way and they require healing.

Also, with the LSH endometrial lining can be left along with the cervix since it is the bottom portion of the uterus. That lining can also shed.

Have you been doing too much too soon? Have you been on your feet, lifting, vacuuming, etc.?

Your bleeding sounds par the course for someone who has been increasing her activity level and possibly overdoing it a bit. You might want to back off a bit and see what happens.

Don't ever hesitate to check with your doctor if you have questions. Your doctor is the medical expert!

Unread 04-02-2011, 11:36 AM

Thank you for your responses! I really have not been doing much more then I have the first 14 days. It is frustrating to say the least. I have an 8 month old that I have not been lifting and have only held once in all these days! And I am still bleeding. Just feels like it is never going to end and I am not even doing anything yet!

I am hoping that tomorrow was suppose to be AF, so maybe that is what some of this is, a couple days early?! I hope. I am not close to filling a pad an hour, just bleeding the bright red and sometimes have small clots. Dr. put "Monsel" on Wed. at my 2 week check up as he saw a small spot at the top of cervix that was 'oozing' as he called it. So I am not sure how much of that exam stirred things up. I am just trying to hold on to hope that I will be bleed free some day!!
Thank you!
Unread 04-02-2011, 12:13 PM

I am 10 days post op from LAVH. I have only had brownish spotting the last couple days. Today I had a little dark red to red spotting. I was using a rolling computer chair yesterday that slipped as i sat down and the corner of the chair came between my legs with a little force. I hope that did not hurt anything. Weiser--you mentioned bright red blood that fills a pad an hour. Are you saying just a little red spotting is alright even if had not had any previously for awhile. Thanks.
Unread 04-02-2011, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrapmat View Post
Weiser--you mentioned bright red blood that fills a pad an hour. Are you saying just a little red spotting is alright even if had not had any previously for awhile. Thanks.
In general, yes. Spotting and bleeding can occur for about 4-6 weeks as we heal. However, if you have hurt yourself, that may be what caused your spotting. Take it easy and contact your doctor if you have any other symptoms.

((jjrsc))

Likely what you are experiencing is from that small spot your doctor saw. Hopefully it heal up for you soon!

Unread 04-03-2011, 12:32 AM

JJRSC said-
I am not close to filling a pad an hour, just bleeding the bright red and sometimes have small clots. Dr. put "Monsel" on Wed. at my 2 week check up as he saw a small spot at the top of cervix that was 'oozing' as he called it. So I am not sure how much of that exam stirred things up. I am just trying to hold on to hope that I will be bleed free some day!!
Thank you![/quote]

Just be careful! I haven't lifted a finger from DAY 1 of surgery, but started light pink spotting on day 7 then day 9 had excessive bleeding that gushed out with blood clot too. It was scary and awful-happened during the night and had to rush to ER. 2 days later my doc put silver nitrate on vaginal cuff and that has helped me go from medium pads to light pads again. And my doctor informed me I am a slow healer internally and to keep taking it very easy. I try to walk outside in neighborhood 2 times per day, and notice that makes my bleeding/cramping pick up. It is really frustrating, but I am being careful. I am now 15 days post-op and still taking it EASY. I am so scared of having another bleeding episode, but hopefully that silver nitrate closed up the hole and I will continue to heal internally. My external stiches look awesome. I also have a UTI and on 2nd antibiotics so that is frustrating too. Hope you slow down with bleeding, but talk to your doctor again and again until you get his/her attention! You deserve the right to know what is going on, and each of us are so individual. The only way to know is to visit your doctor again and tell him/her to examine you internally again. Best wishes to a safe and successful recovery!
Unread 04-06-2011, 03:46 PM
"normal" Really??

So I called the GYN office again today about my bloody discharge since my LSH 3 weeks ago...they keep telling me it is "normal"! As long as it doesn't get heavy, it is normal?! Really? I am going to be very upset if I go to my 6 week check-up and find out something has been 'oozing' all this time! I had nothing the first 13 days, but since the end of last week it has turned into a red/bloody discharge. Nothing heavy, just always there when I go to the bathroom and some in between ( I am always going to check).

I assume that since I am not one of the lucky ones to not have any bleeding after my LSH that I am just going to continue like this for weeks? Has anyone experienced this and not had it go on until week 5-6 like many others talk about?

I assume this also means I am going to be one of the lucky ones who will be back months from now saying I am bleeding again...and again?! Is there anyone out there who has had this LSH post op bleeding and you truly never see it again once it does finally stop?

Signed,
Frustrated
Unread 04-06-2011, 06:52 PM
Re: "normal" Really??

Hi there,

I can hear the frustration in your words. You're body is still healing. It takes about 6-12 months to fully heal, so you are in the beginning stages. I know it's frustrating, but be positive and encouraged that you are healing and getting better...it just takes time.

I wanted to bump you back up to the top hoping someone can encourage you who has experienced what you are going through.

Good luck and God bless!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register