Need help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 09-21-2002, 09:33 PM
Need help

I have had heavy prolonged periods for the past 5 years. Last one lasted 4 months. I have tried BC Pill, HRT, herbal nothing worked. dr. says hyst TAH. I wish I could avoid it as I fear bladder injury with surgery. Has anyone tried accupuncture and did it help ? This is about the only thing I did not try yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-22-2002, 09:39 AM
Need help

I have not tried Accupuncture before but there are many less invasive procedures than a Hyst that can help bleeding. Here are some links that might provide you w/ some other options:
http://www.endometrialablation.com/
http://www.fibroidcorner.com/
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/ann....php?forumid=4

I stongly believe a Hysterectomy should be left as a last resort when all other options have failed. Please research your symptoms and options and then you can make an educated decsion on what is the best one for you Good Luck and please keep us posted....
Unread 09-22-2002, 02:43 PM
Need help

Hi Stressed

I didn't try acupuncture, so can't help you there. As for your fears of a bladder injury during surgery ... yes, that is a possibility and is one complication that you should be aware of. However, this is certainly not something that happens all the time. I had a TAH/BSO and had no complications whatsoever. My catheter was removed after about 24 hours and I was able to urinate right away. I had no bladder issues or any other secondary infections of any kind. Call me lucky, but I think there are many other ladies like me out there.

At the same time, Sheri is right in suggesting that a hyst should be your last resort after all other reasonable options have failed. I don't know if you're at that point yet or not. It's a tough call, for all of us, making the decision to have a hyst.

Keep reading and posting and we'll be here to support you, whatever you decide. Let us know how you are doing.

Beth
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-23-2002, 04:46 PM
Need help

Hi Thanks for your replies. I have tried all other options with no luck. The dr. says hyst or wait it out if I want. I would wait it out if I knew it would be realy soon but can't spend the next 5 -6 years planning around my period. I is good to hear from people with no complications. I personally know 10 people who had the surgery and only 1 had bladder problems but that was present prior to surgery. Everyone says I will never regret doing surgery.

This site is so supportive.
Unread 09-23-2002, 08:14 PM
Need help

Hi,

I don't know anything about accupuncture. But what I do know, is that I'm nearly 54 and there is no menopause in sight!!!

I don't know your age, but if you are enemic and stressed out and in your 40's, menopause could be a long time coming! Do you know what's worse? Being in your 40's, having your children leaving home (and needing more money!), having a husband who wants to chase you around the house, having elderly parents who are needy, a job that is stressful, and here you are running to the toilet to give birth to the clot of the year!!

I'm sorry, I got a little bitter there and a bit graphic. If you are in your 40's, are in poor health due to your situation, and have tried all the options, then most likely it is time to throw in the towel.

Best of luck with your decision. If you ask for votes, I'd say go for it!
Unread 09-25-2002, 02:37 AM
Need help

Thanks Maralyn

You are so right. I am 44 and my child is no where near leaving home. He is 5. Keeping up with a 5 year old and birthing clots is no fun. Hubby gets annoyed that I can't do all I use to and I don't blame him, so do I. I guess when I really think about it is is time to throw in the towel. My co-workers all say go for it they will hod down the fork for 6 to 8 weeks and the vacation if you can call it that will do me a world of good. Hubby says he knows nothing about this type of thing and it is my decision alone. Everyone Iknow who has had a hyst says go for it even my GP. SHe said after it is over I will wonder why I waited solong. I see the surgeon on Thursday. My mom who will be having by-pass surgery soon had a hyst in her 60's she is now 74 and as someone who dislikes surgery feels my body is telling me it is time to get rid of that part for some reason or another and I should listen to my body because when menopause hits I could end up with tons of throuble. My mom was done menopause when she wasd my age that is why I hold that hope but it is not on the horizon. I started at age 11 and with my luck without surgery will go until 60 plus just because I hate my periods so and always have. Oh well I have rambled on enough now . Thanks for listening I feel a bit better.
Unread 09-25-2002, 06:05 AM
Need help

Hi Stressed,

Just to let you know almost everyone has something they are scared of in regards to this surgery. With me it wast the anesthesia, I was terrifed of being put under. It worked out that the anesthesia was probably the best part of surgery. As for the bladder issue you just have to remind yourself that this surgery is done on over 600,000 women per year, it is a fairly common operation, it is not unusually risky like some operations.

Lots of luck to you in your decision

Unread 09-25-2002, 02:04 PM
Stressed too!

Dear Stressed,

I did have acupuncture about 10 years ago when I was 46. It did not help me with the bleeding or mood swings. I have tried alot of different things to no avail. I am also worried about the complications of a hyst. Plus, I worry about the PMS not ever going away. I'm really undecided and did cancel a surgery scheduled for 10/9. I'm older and wonder if maybe I could have been spared all these years of suffering with horrible cramps, bleeding clots and mood swings.

I am so grateful to have found this site.

I'll be thinking of you. Maybe, the acupuncture will help you. We are all different.
Unread 09-25-2002, 08:11 PM
Need help

Thanks for your support everyone. I plan to try accupuncture. I have a dr appointment tomorrow to sigh the consent. I will do that and am very scared right now. The wait is 3 to 6 months here in Canada, this province anyway so I will have time to try accupuncture. I am starting to think I am a bug baby as my mom is going for bypass surgery in the next month or two and is not nervous at all. That to me is more serious then a hyst.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register