Sore, tender, sensitive abdomen - how to care and more | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Sore, tender, sensitive abdomen - how to care and more Sore, tender, sensitive abdomen - how to care and more

Unread 05-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Sore, tender, sensitive abdomen - how to care and more

I am wondering....how do you help or care for your sore, tender and sensitive abdomen? I am almost 6 weeks (Tues will be six) and that area is still sore, tender and sensitive. I rub my hand across it and I can feel the areas that are sore. I am in no pain like the first few weeks. I am careful and I can do some things that I couldn't after...like bend better. I still get tired easily but I rest a lot. I do have a small swelly belly...can't get into pants that are mediums...have to be large and loose. Can't wear large yoga pants since they tend to bother that area.

Just wondered what can I do to help my tummy....put cream on the area...not the incision! No! no, no....just the tummy area. Ice? Or just let it heal? Only other problem I have is my back when I go to sleep. I have a body pillow on one side and a regular pillow on the area, and my pillow for my tummy. I used to love sleeping in....til at least 8 or 9...but these days..I am lucky to sleep til 6:30, 7. And I cannot turn over onto my right or left side yet. i do maneuver myself so i am not laying directly on my back. DH is getting tired of the body pillow but he tolerates it. Also still have some issues with BM's....but managing.....

Other than that, I am doing good....feel good....getting through the days....bored but getting through....by reading, tv, and internet.....and walking.....

Stephanie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2012, 09:49 PM
Re: Sore, tender, sensitive abdomen - how to care and more

Hey Stephanie, I too am having some tender areas on my belly. I've been leaving them alone or if I get too achy I just a heating pad. I'm at my whits end about my upper back and neck. It hurts so bad I really can't sleep at night. I able to do some side sleeping but no matter what I do I can't seem to get my neck comfortable. Have you tried Miralax for the bm's thats what helped me most. Lately I haven't needed it but it was a god send a few weeks ago.

~Helaine
Unread 05-13-2012, 09:50 PM

You sound just like me. I have no answers for you, but I sure am looking forward to seeing if anyone else does!I'm 6 weeks post op next wednesday.
:cathugs:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2012, 10:02 PM

[quote=bookfan5555;3761036]I am wondering....how do you help or care for your sore, tender and sensitive abdomen? I am almost 6 weeks (Tues will be six) and that area is still sore, tender and sensitive. I rub my hand across it and I can feel the areas that are sore. I am in no pain like the first few weeks. I am careful and I can do some things that I couldn't after...like bend better. I still get tired easily but I rest a lot. I do have a small swelly belly...can't get into pants that are mediums...have to be large and loose. Can't wear large yoga pants since they tend to bother that area.

Just wondered what can I do to help my tummy....put cream on the area...not the incision! No! no, no....just the tummy area. Ice? Or just let it heal? Only other problem I have is my back when I go to sleep. I have a body pillow on one side and a regular pillow on the area, and my pillow for my tummy. I used to love sleeping in....til at least 8 or 9...but these days..I am lucky to sleep til 6:30, 7. And I cannot turn over onto my right or left side yet. i do maneuver myself so i am not laying directly on my back. DH is getting tired of the body pillow but he tolerates it. Also still have some issues with BM's....but managing.....

Other than that, I am doing good....feel good....getting through the days....bored but getting through....by reading, tv, and internet.....and walking.....

Stephanie[
I can relate, all I can say is hang in there. Have you tried taking Ibuphrophen before going to bed or a heating pad. Talk to your surgeon when you go in for your 6 week post op. Hope you feel better soon.
Unread 05-13-2012, 10:44 PM

Stephanie: My surgeon encouraged me to take my detachable shower head and let warm water pound against my abdominal area. He said it would help speed up the healing. I was very resistant to this idea for the first couple of months then did it and it did help with the soreness a bit and was soothing if nothing else. I found that on exactly my 4 month surgery anniversary (this week) that the soreness went away for the most part but still have swelly belly. But it's nice to walk and not feel my stomach sore when I walk. I think a body pillow helped when I laid on my side and resting whenever I had an extra active day. And time and patience were extremely important healers. Best of luck to you!
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:25 AM

I'm not as far out from surgery as you are Stephanie, but you have made me feel in good company here at nearly 4 weeks. I am SO sore all of the time. Sometimes ibuprofin helps, sometimes not.
I wish you well as we all muddle through the best we can.
Unread 05-14-2012, 05:42 AM

I'm 4 weeks post-op and still find that using the belly binder helps when I get too sore.

I like to walk but found out the other day that 1 mile is about 1/4 mile more than my body wants me to go.
Unread 05-14-2012, 06:47 AM

I also, depending on the day, have a sore belly. The binder makes I worse because I want nothing touching my belly. I know it's part of healing but so annoying.
Unread 05-14-2012, 08:35 AM

Hi, I have tried Miralax...it is ok....so I just drink lots of water, which helps. The BM's tend to be stubborn but they are getting better, just don't like to come when I want them to come. "They" have their own schedule. LOL...

I have taken ibuprofen before bed or Advil...since it seems my tummy area tends to be more sore and all at night. I guess everything I do during the day catches up to me at night.

I do not have a detractable shower head...I am currently using my MIL's shower because it is smaller than my shower...it also has handles in case I need them. I just let the water pour over me, which feels good. I do not think I am ready for my shower which the water tends to fall right on the area that is sore. It is pretty fast falling down, which I am not ready for. I will talk to my doctor when I see him this week.

I don't like anything tight on my tummy....I tried wearing large yoga pants but they felt too tight and as are anything that is medium. So I wear Large pants....and size 9, 10 panties. So very comfortable.

As for walking...love it. Once I got rid of the cath, i went outside and started walking. The first week after...I just walked up and down the street, as much as I was able. And these past week and a half, I have gone further. There is a campground next door to us and I have been walking there. I have been walking in the morning for 15 minutes and in the evening 15 minutes...sometimes a bit more, depending on where I go. On the weekends, DH goes with me and I usually can walk longer. I am usually tired when I return, but a good tired, and I rest.

I will be happy when the soreness goes away and life can return to normal.....Also...I want to go back to work. I never thought I would say that, but there you go!

Wish everyone the best and thank you.

Stephanie

SAH, kept ovaries and cervix- due to huge fibroid(s)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register