new to site, scheduled surgery today | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

new to site, scheduled surgery today new to site, scheduled surgery today

Unread 04-29-2003, 08:29 PM
new to site, scheduled surgery today

My Mother-in-Law suggest I look up this site when I called her today to let her know that my Surgeon, Husband, and I decided that I need a hysterectomy including tubes and ovaries.
I am comfortable with the decision and actually relieved. I am 44 and have been through infertilitly treatments, endometriosis, and fibroids for 15 years. I am high risk for ovarian cancer and have out of control bleeding and enemia. The big question now is a vaginal surgery or abdominal. The surgeon has recommended abdominal but I do not like the recovery time vs vaginal. I have been told that the vaginal is not as easy for the surgeon but is possible. What thought and experience has anyone else had?
I am sure this is just the beginning of my relationship here and am glad to find others I can "talk" with.
Thanks Ladies.
KK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-29-2003, 08:55 PM

Hi KK,

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!! I'm sorry that you have been having so many problems, but glad that your MIL recommended us to you, and that you posted to introduce yourself.

The type of surgery that you have is, of course, a decision that will need to be made by you and your doctor. You said you had a history of endo and fibroids, and it is my understanding that the doctor is able to see much better with an abdominal than with a vaginal.

As far as recovery time goes - even though a vaginal hyst does not involve an external incision, there are still many internal stitches, and the recovery time is pretty much equal. I had a TVH, with repairs for a cystocele and a rectocele and wasn't released to go back to work until 5 1/2 weeks post-op. And when I did return, I was totally exhausted by the end of the day.

Be sure to read our pre-op and post-op articles that are found in the left-hand column of the main page: https://www.hystersisters.com/ They will help you to be better prepared for your surgery and recovery.

I hope that you'll continue to read, research and ask questions. We'll do our best to help.

's
Unread 04-29-2003, 08:59 PM

KK
Welcome to hysterland your going to love it here!
Ding
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-30-2003, 07:39 AM

i had a vh/b.repair and all i can say to you is my recovery has been great.. no real problems.... no pain as such just a little discomfort.... the good thing with a vh is that you have no cut outside... the lady opposite me in the hospital struggled to stand upright yet i was up and about with relative ease.. we are all different ofcourse but for me the vh was a breeze... i wish you well... mary. xx
Unread 04-30-2003, 07:47 PM

My doc said the recovery time was the same. He only does the surgery abdominally because he feels they are easier, cleaner and doesn't want any surprises. The first time I tried sit up to get out of bed (about 15 hours after surgery) it was tough and I couldn't do it at first. I was very frustrated and didn't try again for a couple of hours. When I did, it was pretty easy. I realized the first time I was trying to use my stomach muscles and sit up like I did pre surgery. Once I figured out what worked best for me, it was nothing. I walked around every 2 hours or so without trouble.
Unread 04-30-2003, 08:38 PM

Thanks Ladies for your encouraging responses. I saw my GP today and he also recommended abdominal for many of the reasons you have mentioned. He is in agreement with the surgeonand I have known him long enough to trust his judgement. (Ialways ask him what he we suggest for his wife) He agrees that the recovery time will not be signifcantly longer given my general health and level of fitness, etc. So I think one more decision is out of the way. That really helps. Fortunatly we had already scheduled a family vacation for the first week in June so I have that to look forward to and plan while taking my mind off of the surgery to follow when we return (June 12 it is off to the "castle")
I look forward to continued contact

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register