Scheduled TAH Any one have personal directives? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any one have personal directives? Any one have personal directives?

Unread 06-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Any one have personal directives?

I have been thinking all night about this. The pre-op nurse asked me if I had a personal directive or living will.
I hadn't really thought about this before as I have not been concerned about the surgery.
But, now that I have been asked, of course the wheels are spinning and I am starting to worry just a bit!
My husband and I have wills, that were written years ago, and I am not worried about updating it as all I have would go to him (not much ).
Anyone else thought about these things?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Re: Any one have personal directives?

It was required at the hospital I had my surgery at. I was given a form to use if I didn't have my own already. It's hard to have to think about these sorts of things, and hopefully will never be necessary, but it's good to have it in place *just in case*.

Good luck with your surgery!

s,
-Linda
Unread 06-05-2010, 12:31 PM

Although its not a pleasant thought, its good to be prepared just in case. I've even prepared a list of my own just case something does happen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-05-2010, 12:46 PM

i've had 11 surgeries and have been given info for the advance directive at each one, but i still haven't done one... not ready to put it in writing, although my husband and i have talked about our choices...
Unread 06-05-2010, 12:58 PM

I think that's a standard question... if you think about it, I really wouldn't want to saddle my doc with trying to figure out the "right" thing to do!

Before my surgery I told hubby that should something go wrong, I wanted him to focus on doing what HE was comfortable with! I guess my line of thinking is, if I am bad enough to be on that level of support, I will likely be brain dead, ao I'm not REALLY there. Hubby is the one that would have to cope with my absence, so I didn't want to put limits on him working through his feelings.

I also made a "ladies agreement" with my step mom, I committed to her that should something happen with my father I wouldn't interfere with her decision making, funeral, everything! Her committment to me was that she would prevent my father from doing likewise if something went awry.

My mother didn't even know about the hyster, she's been out of the picture for years.
Unread 06-05-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly36 View Post
i've had 11 surgeries and have been given info for the advance directive at each one, but i still haven't done one... not ready to put it in writing, although my husband and i have talked about our choices...
Wow, 11 surgeries?? You are one strong lady...hats off to you!
Unread 06-05-2010, 02:20 PM

My husband and I actually had our will, power of attorney and medical directives done before my surgery. I kinda figured if I had them, I wouldn't need them! Worked for me! Nobody ever asked me if we had them or not though.
Unread 06-05-2010, 03:31 PM

I have a very specific medical directive in writing that I keep in my wallet at all times. It took a little time to really think about what my exact medical wishes would be in the event of an emergency but boy am I glad I had done it.

I even did online research on different procedures that may come up, what is involved, risks, etc. This really helped me write up my exact wishes.

When I had my TAH / BSO it was an emergency. I woke up severely hemorrhaging. Even though my DH and I had discussed what my wishes are in the past, it sure was GREAT for him and the doctors that all we had to do was give them my exact do's and don'ts list.

When there is an emergency, your loved ones are going to be very stressed out. How much better for them to not have to worry about making decisions for you when they want to be comforting you.

Something to think about.
Unread 06-05-2010, 05:13 PM

Our insurance company was actually the party that brought up advanced directives. A rep called prior to surgery to go over what I was having done, and he brought up the advanced directive. Even gave me a website I could look for examples. I pulled one off a website and tweaked it to say what I wanted it to say after discussing my wishes with DH. I told him what I would want in case any "what ifs" arose during surgery (such as unforeseen complications). The doctor knew DH would be at the hospital and I wanted him consulted if anything came up and I was unable to make decisions.

It wasn't a pleasant thing to think or talk about, but I'm glad I got it out of the way. When I went to the hospital for the surgery, they asked if I had advance directives and were surprised when I handed them over.
Unread 06-06-2010, 06:16 AM

I have organ donor marked on my driver's license but the hospital had me do a "living will". I marked specifically which organs they could have and which ones they need to leave alone. I also filled out my wishes if I'm in a vegetative state and all of that. My dad is a little upset that I'm an organ donor. He's afraid they won't try very hard to save me if they know this. I look at it from the perspective that if I have to go, at least part of me could help someone else live. It is upsetting because we don't like to think like that but now that I have one, I shouldn't have to fill it out again.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register