Weight - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 01-28-2008, 06:55 AM
Weight

I really don't want to just "diet" to take off the 10lbs I need to lose... I want to change my eating habits to healthier choices, but it gets so confusing!! One article I read tells me it's all about calorie intake. Another says you need to watch the fat grams. Still another says it needs to be low in carbs... ugh! How do you sort through the TONS of info? For instance, I have always heard that brown rice is better than white rice....but recently I read where they realize that's not true anymore!!

I've tried everything in the past like, Weight Watchers, Richard Simmons "Deal-A-Meal", counting calories, fat grams etc...... I always ended up wanting to binge because i felt deprived. It's so frustrating!!

I'm going to see about joining the YMCA today. Maybe that will help me kick-start my exercising!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 07:15 AM
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1998
11306em..... when you say you drank alot of lemon water, what exactly do you mean? Did you just heat up some water and squeeze some fresh lemon into it? My dh got me a Hot Shot water heating device for Christmas and I just love it! Been making quite a bit of hot tea.... it's helped me stay away from quite so much coffee, which I usually drink WAY too much of!

Also, I wanted to incorporate yogurt into my diet too. Someone told me you have to eat the non-flavored plain yogurt for it to really count... any thoughts?
I was on a diet plan about 5 years ago and lost about 65 pounds and they said to use fresh squeesed lemon but I've been told that the liquid Real Lemon juice works just as well so that is what I have been doing (so much easier) I flavor for my taste.....

As for the yogurt ,like I said in a previous posting I like the Dannon Lite Vanilla and add my own fruit....Do compare the lables for the calories, fat and so on....

The plan I was on stressed fresh fruit and veggies NO CANNED and NO Deli MEAT........

Hope I could be of some help.....It most definately is alot easier when you have a support systom of others that are going through the same thing........
Unread 01-28-2008, 07:40 AM
Weight

Yes - I echo the fresh foods sentiment. Eat foods that can remember where they came from!

Annie - yes whole grain anything is better than white. BUT do things gradually so it doesn't feel like your world is topsy turvy. Work on the fresh fruits and veggies first as this is easiest. Then when you are good on that, work on your bread choice to move to whole grain. If you drink milk work on gradually getting to skim/non-fat. whole -> 2% -> 1% -> skim.

I needed to bring down my cholesterol last year and I started watching saturated fat grams. (only 20g a day is recommended.) If a food serving had over 4 grams of fat, I wouldn't eat it or I would only eat 1/2 the serving (was usually junk food any way). I didn't lose weight during this time, but I was able to bring down a 222 count to 180. The dr wants it at 200 or below. (I was scared that I would need drugs.)

Don't deny yourself foods you love, but cut the portions of the bad ones WAY down. Our sense of portions have gotten way out of hand.

I hope these tips help you. I am by no means where I should be weight wise, but I am also still learning too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-28-2008, 07:48 AM
Weight

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie1998
11306em..... when you say you drank alot of lemon water, what exactly do you mean? Did you just heat up some water and squeeze some fresh lemon into it? My dh got me a Hot Shot water heating device for Christmas and I just love it! Been making quite a bit of hot tea.... it's helped me stay away from quite so much coffee, which I usually drink WAY too much of!

Also, I wanted to incorporate yogurt into my diet too. Someone told me you have to eat the non-flavored plain yogurt for it to really count... any thoughts?

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POSTING, MY MISTAKE !!!!!!

About 5 years ago I was on a diet plan and lost 65 pounds, that was great but I have gained most of it back due to poor eating habits...

Any way they said to use fresh lemon but I have since heard that Real Lemon Juice works just as well and is alot easier......I use about 6 teaspoons to a med size coffee cup... whatever amount suits your taste....(I usually drink quite alot during the morning time as I take care of a couple of children and can run to the bathroom )

Yogurt as I said in a post before I do like the Dannon
Lite Vanilla and add my own fruit....Please do compare the calories,fat and so on for yourself...That is one of the most important things I learned to do(READ LABLES) ,sometimes you are really suprised on what you find...

The diet plan that I was on stressed to eat fresh or fresh frozen fruits and veggies and no deli meat......

Anyway hope I was of some help , I know it is much easier when you have people in the same boat so to speak ...

GOOD LUCK !!!!!
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:31 PM
How and when do you exercise?

Hello! I'm in my 3rd week of recovery. I would like to try some yoga but not sure its time yet. Also, is walking 30 minutes too much? I need advice/suggestions on what is appropriate at this time.

Thanks,
wandadaisy
Unread 02-02-2008, 02:24 AM
Weight

wandadaisy..... my dr. said absolutely no yoga until after six weeks. He said I could tear some stitches inside by stretching too far and that would be really bad! Although, i was SO anxious to do some stretching that I did a little bit, without stretching my core....mainly legs and arms.

As far as the walking thing...i know some ladies were walking much sooner than I was.. however, i hadn't been excercising regularly before my surgery. I think if you were walking alot before, you might be able to do more now... but don't push it!! Listen to your body!!
Unread 02-02-2008, 07:53 AM
Weight

Hi
Walking was my key to sanity after surgery, it was one way that I could measure my progress. I started to the end of the driveway and back, then added to the next milestone(Certain fire hydrant, neighbor's mailbox, etc). When I felt good I added more...but days getting back up the driveway was tough and I knew I had gone too far. I knew because either I could feel the strain in my belly or in my back.
I am three months post op and have been doing a recumbant bike program for a while now. Just this week added a gentle Pilates program. Still feel some discomfort in my belly...but not what I would call pain. I hope it is my muscles finding their way back!
I too would love to lose a few pounds. Have been focusing on more on what I eat. Ido great through the day, but after 4pm I lose it. I can't believe that will all of the exercise and effort that I am just holding my existing weight...makes me nervous about 'blowing up' if I stop!
I am also a good Catholic girl...hoping that I can use the incentive of Lent to help me!
Have a great day.
Unread 02-02-2008, 06:47 PM
when to exercise...

annie1998 and kpapc: Thanks for your advice. I'll try and take it easy on my body.

wandadaisy
Unread 02-03-2008, 10:33 AM
Weight

I had my hysterectomy on December 3. Since then, lost 25 lbs. Just didn't feel like eating and when I did eat, I was throwing up a lot. Also wanted nothing but chicken soup and sugar free popsicles. Those are awesome! I'm still not eating the same as before the surgery, but I can eat at least 2 meals a day without getting sick. I am walking more now than before the surgery too, but I'm still grossly swollen!
Unread 02-03-2008, 04:37 PM
Weight

I'm just 2 weeks post-op and my doctor told me a low carb diet is the best thing for a poofy stomach. Not the swelly belly, but added or previous poofy stomach. I am not eating a lot either, but I do eat my sugar free popcicles, jell-o, cottage cheese, and cereal. Just like my Dr. told me, it all takes time, from swelly belly to go away to weight coming off. The key to not gaining weight now is to eat less, because you are not exspending the same amount of calories now as before. Eat healthy, not sure jello and popcicles are healthy, but anyway, it's not sugar.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register