Scheduled LSH Pain Prior to Hysterectomy 2/23 - cannot take asprin or ibuprofen 2 weeks before surgery; suggestions on handling pain? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pain Prior to Hysterectomy 2/23 - cannot take asprin or ibuprofen 2 weeks before surgery; suggestions on handling pain? Pain Prior to Hysterectomy 2/23 - cannot take asprin or ibuprofen 2 weeks before surgery; suggestions on handling pain?

Unread 02-06-2016, 11:38 AM
Pain Prior to Hysterectomy 2/23 - cannot take asprin or ibuprofen 2 weeks before surgery; suggestions on handling pain?

Hi there,
I have a scheduled lap (mini laparotomy) hysterectomy with a cystocele repair (will be keeping cervix/ovaries) for adenomyosis, uterine prolapse. I also have endometriosis.
I'm a bit over 2 weeks prior to my hysterectomy and my surgeon has recommended stopping advil/ibprofin and the like two weeks prior to surgery.
I have continuous cramps at this point all the time and I am looking for suggestions for what to do in the meantime.
Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2016, 02:58 PM
Re: Pain Prior to Hysterectomy

Hi Sporkmoostipe to HysterSisters!

Have you asked your doctor what he or she would recommend, or can you get a prescription for something? In the meantime, we do have lots of ladies on this site. Hopefully one with a similar experience will see this post and respond.

Do know that a hysterectomy will not cure endo, and you need an expert to remove the disease. It will cure adeno, however. Here are articles that may provide information to you.
Can Endometriosis Return after a Hysterectomy?
Endometriosis vs. Adenomyosis

Just know that you are not alone in this... we are here for you.

Unread 02-06-2016, 05:39 PM
Re: Pain Prior to Hysterectomy (cannot take asprin or ibuprofen 2 weeks before surgery; suggestions on handling pain?)

Hi! I had to stop both my DMARD and NSAID (drugs for RA) prior to surgery and I pretty much had to tough it out as Tylenol really doesn't help with arthritis. Other than Tylenol the only other option for you would to get a script for something like Percosette (oxycodone and Tylenol) or another narcotic. All the NSAID's (motrin, Advil, ibuprofen etc...) and asprin can cause operative bleeding, that's why they want you to stop them before surgery. And it's important to follow that order and not cheat, because it really is in your best interest to not bleed a lot during surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-06-2016, 11:17 PM
Re: Pain Prior to Hysterectomy (cannot take asprin or ibuprofen 2 weeks before surgery; suggestions on handling pain?)

Hello, I can suggest a heating pad, deep breathing, and creating a peaceful room (near a bathroom with supplies conveniently located) ready for you when you get home post op. I had LAVH 5 days ago for adenomyosis. I went from work on Monday to e.r. at noon with the decision to have a hysterectomy expedited the next day. It's a long story that I've consciously chosen to be a beautiful journey. Best decision to LIVE and feel what I'm going through even with the pain/cramps and preparing for healing slowly and compassionately . I'm sorry about the cramps- the heating pouches nurses provided as I waited worked wonders. Praying for you
Unread 02-07-2016, 08:42 AM

I would definitely be asking your doctor for something to help with the pain for the next 2 weeks. It's just miserable to be in pain all the time.
Unread 02-07-2016, 10:12 AM

One of the best things that allows me to get the upper hand on my adeno pain (suspected) is a hot bath followed by a heating pad. I will set the bath for about as hot as I can take it and linger in there until the pain dissipates...usually about 15-20 minutes. From there I go straight to the heating pad within 3-5 minutes to keep that constant heat.

This really works for me if I have the luxury of being at home as I try not to take the prescribed narcotics or over-the-counter pain meds as much as possible. I hope it can work for you and you find some relief.
Unread 02-08-2016, 04:48 AM
Pain Prior to Hysterectomy 2/23 - cannot take asprin or ibuprofen 2 weeks before surgery; suggestions on handling pain?

My surgeon said if I had cramping to use a heating pad and Tylenol as it is not a blood thinner.

I know personally for me Tylenol does nothing for cramps.

I would also recommend taking a hot bath or hot shower.

You can also try a hot towel not directly on your cramps but with a towel underneath.

Meditation can sometimes help me if I'm dealing with pain as I will focus on what they are saying and not the pain.

I would also recommend chamomile tea. It is soothing.

Another option is to have acupuncture.

Good luck in finding the right treatment for you 🍀
Unread 02-10-2016, 02:06 PM

I don't have surgery scheduled and I haven't had surgery yet but the pain I get for now is undiagnosed, I find drowning myself out with music or some form of distraction helps. Sometimes I find having sugar can help too so like sugary drinks or hot drinks.
Unread 02-11-2016, 08:19 PM

Prior to surgery, thermacare heating pads were my best friend!! My doc also prescribed tyl with codeine. It was enough to take the edge off. I used the heating pads mostly during the day so I could get through work. Tyl with codeine helped at night so I could sleep.
Unread 02-12-2016, 06:25 PM

I have been prescribed oxycodone. I don't think anything less would cut it for me. I also use a heating pad and that helps as well. I also have adeno and endo.

Good luck with your surgery, soon it will be all over with

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register