My surgery - supracervical hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

My surgery - supracervical hysterectomy My surgery - supracervical hysterectomy

Unread 03-17-2006, 12:08 PM
My surgery - supracervical hysterectomy

My name is Dawn and I am 41. Was diagnosed w/ uterine fibroids, amennorhia and utereus the size of 12 week pregnancy. I am scheduled for a supracervical hysterectomy on March 28..... I am not scared of the procedure but am wondering what to expect of recovery from this type of surgery. Any information would be helpful. I am told I can go back to work in as little as 1 week post-op...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2006, 12:38 PM

Hi Dawn!

I'm glad you found this supportive site! You'll get lots of input for your questions and concerns posting here in the Pre-Op forum.

Hopefully someone who has had the type of hysterectomy you expect to have will be along soon to share experiences.

Best wishes to you!

s
Unread 03-17-2006, 12:53 PM

Hi,
what type of surgery are you having? Laproscopic, vaginal or abdominal? I just had an abdominal supracervical hyst on Feb 27. My dr. told me I would be out of work for 6 to 8 weeks. I was in the hospital for a week and home now for about 2 weeks. Still have some pain, and some bladder issues most likely due to the catheter, but I'm sure it will pass.
Please don't push your recovery. No matter what type of hyst you have, you will need ample recovery time. You only have one chance to recover properly. Don't go back to work until you feel better and your dr. okays it. Remember, this is major surgery!
Take care of yourself!!
Meg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2006, 12:57 PM
Supracervical Hysterectomy

Laparoscopic Supracervical hysterectomy. This is done as an outpatient surgery. The surgery is sceduled for 7:15am and I will be in recovery for 6 - 8 hours afterward....
Unread 03-17-2006, 12:57 PM

Hi Dawn.
My name is Rosanne. I am 37 and had a supra-cervical hysterectomy on January 12th. This site is the BEST!! and has gotten me through alot of questions ans stressful times.. I had the surgery abdominally with a vertical incision/ I had uterine fibroids with alot of pain and heavy bleeding.At first I had a pretty easy time with the surgery, although I hit a few snags along the way. I am now 2 months out and I am still out of work. ..I guess everyone recovers differently. I got an infection and did something really stupid. I lifted something way to heavy.. which I advise you NOT to do!

My advice to you about work is that I would wait to see how you feel after your surgery. I dont know what kind of work you do but, I was told by my doctor no driving for three weeks, although I have seen people on this site that have done it earlier..but I think its going to be a minimum of three weeks until you are feeling up to doing anything. I really feel that until the incision heals on the outside I say about 10 days..you definatley cant go anywhere.

I hope all goes well for you. I will be back to work the day you have your surgery. Take care of yourself and really take time for yourself.. they say this alot on this site..but its true.. YOu really only have one chance at healing right.. so take care!

PS>> I am so happy I had this surgery I really am finally starting to feel like a new person!!!
Unread 03-17-2006, 03:03 PM

I am having a supracervical abdominal hyst next wednesday. I will go in at 5am and the surgery is scheduled for 7am. I will be able to come home on saturday if all goes as planned. Welcome! Hugs Raymo
Unread 03-17-2006, 03:18 PM

(((Dawn)))

Welcome to Hyster Sisters!

I agree with what other (((sisters))) have said about going back to work. Frankly, I'd be surprised if you felt well enough to go back after a week, but you might. However, even if you do feel good, you could find yourself pushing and doing too much -- never a good plan for a new . Might be a good contingency plan to ask for three or four weeks off and see how it goes. You can always come back early, but it's always harder to try and ask for more time if you need it.

My best wishes to you.
Unread 03-17-2006, 03:24 PM

I had an abdominal supracervical on the 21st. I was in the hospital for two nights. I had some soreness, of course, and problems getting my bowels regulated. After that, I have felt fine. I found that week three was more difficult than weeks one and two so don't be surprised if after feeling great---you have a rough week. Overall, the surgery was not as miserable as my last menstrual cycle. Good luck to you.
Unread 03-17-2006, 03:55 PM

dbuscho, my doctor said the same thing about the one week return to work. (I got my date today... 4/24) I asked the nurse about it today on the phone, and she said the speedy recovery is due to my younger age. I'm hoping he's right, but preparing for the worst.
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:48 PM

I'm have a LSH too, with BSO on Aprill 7th. I'm scheduled for surgery at 7:45 am and my doc said I could go home the same day if I felt well enough. I *SHUDDER* at the thought of going home the same day -- at my last lap for endo I went home the same day and definitely should not have. And I also have an hour & a half drive. So my plan is to stay overnight.
My doc also said 1 week recovery. But I think that is best-case-scenario. I went back with my last lap after a week and boy, I felt like I could barely sit down. So for this surgery I'm taking 4 weeks off my part-time job, and have told the companies I work for as a freelancer that I will be out for 2 weeks and back only part-time for 2 weeks after that.

Remember, even if your body heals quickly, this is MAJOR surgery. You may be having hormonal hell. Your mental and emotional self are going to need attending to as well. Take as much time off as you can. Be good to yourself!

I will want to know how your surgery goes! There are not very many LSH sisters around and I am starved for info (although my surgery is before yours.... I will try to post my experience post-op).

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register