Libido - Testosterone Rx? does it work? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Libido - Testosterone Rx? does it work? Libido - Testosterone Rx? does it work?

Unread 06-13-2010, 08:56 PM
Libido - Testosterone Rx? does it work?

I am about 6 months into Surgical Menopause and noticing loss of libido. My surgeon had told me if that happened he could get me where I wanted to be with Testosterone Rx. I am now at the point to see if coaxes my libido back. Has any one her tried Testosterone (or any other Rx) found success with amping up libido.

I am taking no HRT, due to a couple blood clotting disorders, though my 2nd opinion GYN gave me premarin cream to use topical to help vaginal skin not get thinner and more apt to be stingy and tender. And that helped the mechanics, now I am finding, the farther away from surgery, the longer I am without the hormones my body produced, the more I am making a conscious effort to be intimate.

I was wondering if anyone else, not taking other HRT, found testosterone rx helped libido? Has any other Rx been used. I ask because a book I've been meeting mentioned that Androgen was what needed replaced for libido.

Appreciate any words of wisdom on this, with or without HRT. And anything related to resuming intimacy
JSTOR
TAH-BSO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2010, 12:12 AM
Re: Libido - Testosterone Rx? does it work?

I'm in school and studying in the medical field. I actually just read a chapter in my Psychology textbook concerning just this subject and it's definitely the loss of testosterone after removal of the ovaries that causes women to lose their libido.
Unread 06-14-2010, 01:12 AM

Hi Jstor testosterone is an androgen; there is no medication called Androgen.

Has your doctor done serum levels of free and total testosterone on you yet, to see if your testosterone level is indeed low? Our bodies can make testosterone even without ovaries; for some women, that's enough, and for some it's not. However, it is important to know that your level is low before supplementing, because if you add testosterone when you don't need it, you can have some rather unpleasant symptoms that are hard to get rid of.

In addition, it is recommended that you have a liver function test as well as a lipid profile before starting on testosterone. Women with cholesterol problems or poor liver function are not good candidates for testosterone supplementation.

I have used testosterone before, but I'm on estrogen replacement. If you cannot use estrogen, I would not recommend your using testosterone unless you also take an aromatase inhibitor. Aromatase is the enzyme that allows us to convert testosterone to estrogen. Otherwise, your body is going to convert some or all of the testosterone to estrogen.

If you decide to try testosterone, ask your doctor about a compounded cream or gel. Natural testosterone does not survive the digestive process well, so it's not particularly effective taken orally; synthetics that can be taken orally can be pretty strong. With a natural testosterone cream, you can use just a tiny bit and build it up slowly, which is important because testosterone tends to build up in the tissues over time and it's very easy to get too much.

In any case, many of us have had success with testosterone for libido (as well as energy level). My doctor told me I should expect improvement in libido in 2 to 3 weeks, and it did take two weeks; however, my energy level improved within 2-3 days of starting it.

I hope this helps.
s,
-Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-14-2010, 10:37 AM

thank you, thank you Lucyboop and Linda. This is AWESOME information to have. I can't believe I consistently get the most thorough responses from fellow patients who don't even know me. It's like magic!!!
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:47 PM

Yes, testosterone does wonders. I'm on a monthly injection of testosterone and estrogen-energy level and libido are up. My dr wants to closely monitor my cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. I'm 3 1/2 months post op TAH.
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:00 PM

dear mdwhiffen, thanks for the reply.

and to other Hyster Sisters: I ended up with gel, starting for the first month applied to abdomen 2 times a week.

So mdwhiffen, how long into the injection did you notice a ifference? Did you find any side effects?

Are the Cholesterol and triglyceride monitoring for the testosterone or estrogen or both? My doc didn't make any mention of the extra monitoring.

Incidentally, the 2nd opinion GYN, I emailed his nurse about 10am the day after my initial post here, by noon she was talking to me about not needing to come back in for an appointment and how I was to use the testosterone gel, by 1pm it was at my pharmacy.

The surgeon, on the other hand, who I called as soon as his office opened, his staff didn't respond until the next day, and when they did, he passed me off to a center for women's sexual health. I called the nurse back to ask her to tell him:
(1) he had promised HE would take care of testosterone if it became an issue
(2) the last thing I needed right now was to meet new medical providers, particularly for an issue so delicate,
(3) and if he thought so much of the center, why hadn't he given me the referral immediately in post op follow up visits?
(4) in case he wants to know how his patients get along after hysterectomy (I doubt he does, he's a closer), I asked her to tell him he was wrong about there being no impact on sex. To tell him that one of his patients is clearly stating that sex IS DIFFERENT. I can't tell if she heard me or was doing her nails. But I wanted to get it out there, because I was not expecting differences sexually. I'm not saying it's not good, but it is different, and required adjustments when he pretty much guaranteed me it would not be different. My hope is he might just think twice about lavishing the guarantees, when I am finding, from my reading about menopause, there are established studies that refute many of the claims he made for the surgery. I am not sorry I had it, I just think I had a right to know these things, and now I know patients pretty much have to find them out for themselves, even though I find it hard to beleive the surgeon did not know about the studies. He just disclosed very selectively.

oh! sorry about that rant there. Am so grateful for my 2nd opinion GYN, who is giving me options doctors have always told me weren't available because of the clotting disorders.

thanks for "listening".

How often will you test to monitor the cholesterol, Triglycerides, etc?
Unread 06-16-2010, 09:03 PM

Hey! Don't worry about the rant! This is a good place for it
Anyway, 6 month monitoring for the cholesterol, triglycerides, etc. My mom died at 56 of a brain aneurism and had struggled with her weight, high cholesterol and triglycerides after her TAH at age 43. I'm 41 and my dr is taking the necessary precautions given the family history.
Yearly mammograms
6 month monitoring of hormone levels
yearly pelvic exam
With the injection, I was only a week post op and I was hyper as I could be-lots of energy-almost a nervousness. The second month-very little of that-energy, but not nervousness. The third month was when my acne started up (right about the time I would normally have had it as PMS symptom). I just had my fourth injection and it's been so nice! The only thing I have are hot flashes the days before my injection, which is every 30 days. (I begin to have them around day 23). I'm going to mention it to the dr on my next appt.
I'm so sorry for the treatment you got from your surgeon. Mine is the same dr we've had for 10 years and our families are friends, so I have that advantage and it has been a blessing. My TAH was unavoidable-I went into the OR not knowing if I'd come out with everything intact or not.
Another plus-I'm at a great weight-I weigh only 5 lb more than I did when I graduated high school 23 years ago.
I know it's still very early, but so far I don't have a major complaint about the HRT. I'm dealing with vvf right now, so that has kind of overshadowed the other stuff
Let us know how you're doing!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register