calcification of small bowels? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

calcification of small bowels? calcification of small bowels?

Unread 04-07-2006, 12:58 PM
calcification of small bowels?

hey sisters! i cannot figure this out. the doc seems very concerned about my intestines and bowels. he said that they are his greatest concern for me now that my hematoma is reabsorbing. i haven't really asked about it as i figured it was normal after surgery to wonder if they will be okay. anyway, i read the results of my cat scan, and it talks about calcification and fluid and loops...? here, i will type it ou so that it makes sense! duh! LOL. ...most of the enteric contrast is seen in the distal small bowel loops, or the colon. within the cul-de-sac, there are some ill defined regions of low density involving an area of approximately 7.5 cm. these may be pockets of fluid within a larger mass, or potentially represent some nonpacified loops of bowels... i have looked and looked and cannot figure it out. any knowledge would be greatly appreciated! hugs and healing to each of you! heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2006, 02:06 PM

dang i hope everything will be okay, i wish i could help but i can't.
hugs to you
Unread 04-07-2006, 07:56 PM

Did you talk to your dr about your report? If not, I would suggest a call to his/her office and ask to have your report explained to you.

As your dr is concerned about your instestines, will you be referred to a dr who specializes in colon/bowel issues?

Best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2006, 12:14 AM

Quote:
most of the enteric contrast is seen in the distal small bowel loops, or the colon. within the cul-de-sac, there are some ill defined regions of low density involving an area of approximately 7.5 cm. these may be pockets of fluid within a larger mass, or potentially represent some nonpacified loops of bowels...
Here's how I read this: the contrast has passed through to the end of the small intestine and the beginning of the large intestine (the colon). The "ill-defined regions of low density" are likely the remnants of your hematoma. They will not have sharp, well-defined edges, and the area is about three inches. They could also represent fluid in the bowel (very common) or "non-opacified" -- i.e. non-highlighted by the contrast -- loops of bowel. That would be a normal appearance of large intestine where the contrast hadn't quite reached that area yet.

It sounds like your hematoma is dissolving and not particularly dense. It also sounds like the hematoma is in the cul-de-sac between the vagina and the rectum. And you may be finding that your "transit time" is a little slow. Are you dealing with some constipation? It's always tricky to time the taking of the contrast with the actual pictures; some people digest contrast faster than others. And many of us have slower intestinal passages post-op, something that the hematoma may be affecting.

I hope this helps. I don't see anything in your report that would indicate "calcification" of your small bowel. Actually, it sounds like a pretty normal report given that you've had this hematoma absorbing. My specialty is ultrasound, not radiology specifically, but my DD has had a number of C-T scans and GI imaging studies due to intestinal surgery when she was a baby, and I've read a whole lot of reports on the subject, both for her and for me, over the last ten years!

Good luck with that hematoma. Sounds like it's moving in the right direction!

Audrey
Unread 04-08-2006, 06:57 AM

hi there audrey! thank you so much! you are fabulous! i have another question for you though, or two...! ha! the ct report fro the hospital mentioned calcification. the dr's summary doesn't! also, that place between my v and colon, hat is where the first hematoma was. my second one is where my right ovary burst. i saw it on an ultrasound last week. -up higher, and to my right, of course, haha!- could this one just be the remainder of the old one? maybe scar tissue? the ultrasound tech said that the ovaries cannot be seen well w/ a ct scan.
thank you so much for helping me. you have helped me tremendously!
sincerest hugs, heather
Unread 04-08-2006, 07:40 AM

Well.....reeeeeally......We can't diagnoses or interpret your reports and tests here.

Even for members who's real life jobs are medical professionals, its important to go back *to your own doctor and medical professionals* to get the entire scoop. There must be something that causes your doctor to have a concern.

Let's use HysterSisters for support and not DX of reports.

Let us know what you find out from your doctor. We will give hugs while they give medical input.
Unread 04-08-2006, 07:47 AM

sorry about that. i had just seen it before. no offense intended! thank you, heather

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register