Is it possible? Pregnancy after Hyst.? - Page 3 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Is it possible? Pregnancy after Hyst.? Is it possible? Pregnancy after Hyst.?

Unread 05-10-2006, 09:02 PM
Is it possible? Pregnancy after Hyst.?

I didn't ask the question to upset anyone and the replies I got I don't feel that anyone was upset. I too was curious as I just has a hysterectomy and thought there was no chance of this happening. If I upset anyone my apologies but I didn't get that through any of the replies but the last one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-11-2006, 12:37 AM

I think it's important to keep in mind that the very, very few cases of abdominal pregnancy after a hysterectomy that have been legitimately documented, have all been cases in which the woman was technically pregnant at the time of the hysterectomy (either a tubal pregnancy or the ovum had just been fertilized and had not yet reached the uterus). Case in point is the story in the link given earlier in this thread, where the woman was diagnosed 11 weeks after her hysterectomy with a 13 week pregnancy. You do the math.

Keep in mind, also, that most of us are instructed not to have intercourse until we are cleared, typically at our six week checkup. At that point, the vaginal cuff is plenty healed - there are no 'holes' through which semen could pass. (If it's not completely healed, we wouldn't be cleared but further time and/or treatment would be required.) Scar tissue also forms during the early recovery period over the ends of the fallopian tubes, if they are still present, meaning they would no longer be able to function as a place for sperm and ovum to "hook up". The already remote chances of sperm and egg uniting under the best of circumstances become orders of magnitude smaller - to the point that it virtually cannot happen. There is not one documented legitimate case of an abdominal pregnancy after a hysterectomy where conception occurred several weeks or more post hyst.

There are, however, some pretty convincing looking hoax sites around on the internet, where supposedly real photos are posted in support of pregnancies that do not really exist. We have even investigated some of these sites and found that the photos are not authentic but rather are either altered or copied from other websites - not original to the person who posted them. Considerable energy has been devoted to calming the nerves of worried Hystersisters who were confused and frightened by these people and their fraudulent claims, both on the boards here and privately by emails and PM's.

I wonder about what kind of person would undertake to defraud the rest of the world in this manner. I think it's particularly cruel of them to try to do that here, where we have members who are grieving their inability to bear children and trying to accept it and move on. How can one move on if false hopes are dangled in one's face? I'm not referring here to this thread, but to past situations... to offer explanation for why we feel this topic is a difficult one for many of our members.

I hope I haven't created more questions than I've answered here... I just wanted to explain why we (or at least I) cringe when I see this topic on the boards again. Y'all couldn't have known that, of course ... but I hope this puts it to rest.

s,
-Linda
Unread 05-11-2006, 06:04 AM

Yes Linda, I do understand this and my apologies again if I upset anyone. I too was just curious for myself as for others too. I am very 'emotional' right now as it seems my ovaries have not started working again yet (I am 10 days post-op) and it put some fear into me. I just was looking for other insight on this topic to put my mind at ease.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register