Anxiety Mode On Full Force | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Anxiety Mode On Full Force Anxiety Mode On Full Force

Unread 04-24-2008, 06:53 PM
Anxiety Mode On Full Force

I have 4 days until surgery and I'm starting to panic. It's not necessarily the surgery part...it's the care I'll have after the surgery. I'm worried DH get impatient with me and not be there for me. I actually told my doctor that I'd rather stay the full 2 days because I think I'd have better care.

I'm worried about what to eat....I am a food "snob" I cook every night and I don't do boxed/frozen stuff (I know it's so sad) and my DH does NOT cook. Can I prep food and he does the lifting and reaching part????? I realize I won't be that hungry right after but once I am.......

I'm worried he won't make sure the kids are quiet and respectful of my recovery. (stepkids)

I'm worried he won't answer his phone if I'm in need of help or an emergency.

On top of it, I have so much to do, I want to move my bedroom furniture so it's tidy and set for recovery. Clean the fridge out, clean the house, do the laundry, etc.

Any advice on how the heck to calm my worries?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2008, 07:06 PM

Hi sunny423!

See if either of these articles from our Pre-Op Articles list provide any useful information:

Coping With Pre-Op Anxiety and Fear

How Others Can Help

I hope that it helps you to know that all of us have been through the same "pre-op jitters and panic" that you describe, and we're still here to "tell the tale." It may not be the best of times, but...in the grand scheme of life, it won't be the worst either.

Best wishes as you prepare for your trip to the Castle!
Unread 04-24-2008, 07:16 PM

I had a freak out on Wednesday night about my recovery & the 'unknown', hardly slept then was really weepy Thursday morning. Spoke to my wonderful friend who is a nurse she advised that how I was feeling is completely NORMAL & it may esculate by Sunday night! (great lol) She said to stay focused on the fact my recovery is only temporary & before I know it will be feeling amazing!

Had much better sleep last night & feel ok again about my recovery!

I hope have a chance to read the threads Bizet Woman put the links to! I will check them out too!

Please also know you are not alone!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-24-2008, 11:15 PM

Part of it will depend on which procedure you have. I had a TAH and it wiped me out. My sister who lives with me brought my dinner plate to the living room because I just didn't feel up to going to the dining room. You might feel like sitting at the table cutting things up but there is no way you will feel like standing over the stove at first. I would suggest sandwiches. Veggie platters and cheese sticks. Let the kids cut the veggies if they are old enough.
Unread 04-25-2008, 05:52 AM

I know EXACTLY how you are feeling. Couldn't sleep at all on Saturday worried about everything. I know that everything is going to be ok, but I still worry. After DH fell asleep, I got up and sat at our kitchen table and wrote a letter to them (hubby and all 3 kids). I hid it so that when everything is ok and I come home I can throw it away. But, Monday DD#1 came to the dr with me and I told her everything she needed to know (in my opinion) while waiting. This helped a little, at least I got some sleep afterwards.
Also, we are spending this weekend getting the house ready and making foods for this week. I am fortunate that DH not only knows how to, but likes to cook and his mom will be here for the times that he is not.
Now that we are down to the last few days, it is starting to hit me like a ton of bricks. I am one of the most optimistic people out there, but suddenly I am fearful. DH even told his mom that he didn't want any negative thoughts said in my earshot because I dont need to be thinking anything but positive and I need to keep my good attitude.
Try not to worry too much. Stay positive. Hopefully we are all worrying for nothing and they will all surprise us!
Good luck next week!
amy
Unread 04-25-2008, 06:03 AM

I hate thinking that I will be a "burden" to my family although I know in my heart that that is hardly the case. They are happy to help me & would go out of their way to make me comfortable & loved. My mother, god love her, is driving up to where I live to care for me for a few days then she will drive me back to Va Beach where my family lives so that I can be surrounded by all of my loved ones who all (including my 9 & 11 year old neices) want to help in my recovery.
I think that we will all be plesantly surprised by the support that we shall be given. I wish that I cuols reach our physically & help each one of you!

Much love & luck!
Unread 04-25-2008, 06:33 AM

The food issue is an easy fix if you want to cook meals ahead of time, and freeze them. That way you can just warm them up when you are hungry. Let DH "cook" for him and the kids.

I stayed in the hospital for the 2 days, but because I had a bleed. To tell you the truth I was SAD to leave. I enjoyed knowing the nurses were there to help and the food was brought to me. My DH was in a hurry to get me home. All I could think was "here I can relax, at home, I have to worry about the kids, house, pets, etc."

Good luck, and just know, these worries are normal. You never know what the other person in your life can do, till you give them the opportunity to step up.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register