3 in 5 billion pathology result | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 in 5 billion pathology result 3 in 5 billion pathology result

Unread 05-28-2009, 07:16 PM
3 in 5 billion pathology result

I had my 6 week post-op appointment with my gyn today and I thought you all might be interested in my final pathology diagnosis. When I was first admitted to the hospital, via emergency, on April 5th for severe bleeding, they were intending to do a D & C. After asking whether I might be pregnant (which I said was unlikely due to blocked fallopian tubes from years of severe endometriosis) they tested me and indicated that yes, I actually was pregnant, and my HCG levels were 55,000. The plan for a D and C was changed...I was admitted, given an ultrasound, which showed no normal fetus, and then waited three days for a MRI. The MRI showed what looked like an invasive molar pregnancy and within a couple of hours I was off to surgery. My doc told me afterwards, that my uterus was completely adhered to my bowels and that I had a thick band of endometriosis around my bladder, and the uterus was also adhered to the bladder. She brought in a colo-rectal surgeon who slowly cut my uterus away from my bowels and then she removed my ovaries, uterus, cervix and so on... I was also given four units of blood during surgery as my hemoglobin was only 88 going in, and I lost a fair amount of blood during surgery.

Because of the suspicion of an invasive molar pregnancy, I had to go for weekly blood tests for the last 6 weeks. My hormone levels dropped quickly, which was a relief and by week six I had the recommended three normal results in a row.

At my 2 week post op visit, my doc told me that the pathologist was still unable to make a conclusive diagnosis about the molar as it did not present all of the typical characteristics that it should. Apparently, after consulting with other pathologists in my city, doing 3 DNA tests on the specimin, my slides were sent to Vancouver, BC and then on to a doctor in Boston at the Women's Health Center. The doctor in Boston determined that I did not have a molar pregnancy...but rather I had adenomyosis and a gland had burrowed into the wall of my uterus. When I became pregnant, the egg actually implanted in the exact same spot and attached itself to the gland, thus looking like the egg itself was behaving like a mole. Had the egg continued to develop it would likely have caused my uterus to rupture. The doctor in Boston indicated that she knows of only THREE other documented cases, like mine, in the world!

My gyn is going to write my case up for doctors locally, and her resident is going to write up the case and submit it for possible publishing in a medical journal. If it does get published, she promises me a copy lol.

Anyways, I am feeling like I am on the road to recovery and am hoping that endometriosis is a thing of the past for me.

I wish all of you the best of luck in your recoveries...now my DH is looking at me with that look in his eyes as the doc has given the green light for sexual relations...I'm nervous as H - E - double hockey sticks!

Chris in Calgary
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2009, 08:37 PM
Re: 3 in 5 billion pathology result

Wow, that sounds like quite a surprise for your 6 week checkup. I am so glad that you are all fixed up now. I hope that you continue to heal and that the Endo stays away for good.

Take care and run from hubby if you have to.... LOL...on second thought don't run, it's probably still too soon to run. :-)

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register