Broken Tail Bone... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Broken Tail Bone... Broken Tail Bone...

Unread 05-23-2007, 04:28 PM
Broken Tail Bone...

i have no clue why i am worried about this, of all things, but i have a broken tail bone. i am wondering if any of you have more information about this position they put you in for a TVH/BSO??

When i sit at work with my legs crossed for an extended period of time, it hurts. i guess i'm afraid this surgery position will have me resting on my broken tail bone causing additional problems with walking/ect. when i wake up.

Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 04:50 PM
Broken Tail Bone...

Alene,
Generally the postion is flat on your back with legs in stirrups. I know some post-op sisters complain of pain in their hips from being in the stirrups so long, but it generally goes away as they're healing.

I think the most important thing for you is to let your Dr. and all other staff (pre-op, anesthesia) know ahead of surgery AND that morning remind them again. Ask ahead if there's anything they can do to minimize pressure on that area during the procedure.

Good Luck and we'll see you on the other side soon! LJC
Unread 05-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Broken Tail Bone...

I broke my tail bone about 6 years ago, snapped the tip right off! Recovery is being a bit hard on my bum because of it but nothing like I expected. I just have to switch positions that I'm laying in every now and then to prevent too much pain and numbness in my leg and buttcheeks. Just after surgery, my tail bone was the furthest thing from my mind! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-23-2007, 05:06 PM
Broken Tail Bone...

Hi Alene,

I broke my tailbone in 3 places 21 years ago, along with a crush fracture of C12 leaving it wedge shaped. I don't think the tailbone on it's own will cause you any problems, it never really has me that I know of so far. What I do have is some bulging discs in the lumbar spine and the surgery definitely aggravated my problems there. I would share your concerns with the medical staff as they must be well used to dealing with this kind of thing, I know a lot of women have back ache after the surgery anyway even if they do not have back problems going in.
Unread 05-23-2007, 06:06 PM
Broken Tail Bone...

Hi there, Alene.

I had a cracked tailbone many years ago (won't tell you how it happened -- just use your wildest imagination!)

Anyhoo, I had an LAVH 5 days ago and I was awake and completely coherent when I had to slide onto the OR table. I remember being surprised that there was a HOLE right where your butt goes so there was no pressure on my tailbone but it was uncomfortable on my lower back. It was also warmed for me -- they told me to thank one of the OR nurses for that courtesy and I gratefully did just that. It was a weird set up but then again your legs are up in those Allen stirrups. I'm assuming the "hole" was to divert any bleeding, saline rinse, etc. that is used during the procedure.

Do make sure your doc as well as the pre-op nurse who preps you is aware of this and advises the rest of the crew.

Best of luck -- it's not so bad at all!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register