i researched on the function of the uterus besides childbirth.... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

i researched on the function of the uterus besides childbirth.... i researched on the function of the uterus besides childbirth....

Unread 05-06-2009, 10:31 PM
i researched on the function of the uterus besides childbirth....

wikipedia gave this definition for the function of the uterus- "The uterus provides structural integrity and support to the bladder, bowel, pelvic bones and organs. The uterus helps separate and keep the bladder in its natural position above the pubic bone and the bowel in its natural configuration behind the uterus." I was concerned about this function and if anyone believes this to be true? I'm scheduled for a hyster in June 15, i'm still going through surgery but would like some responses from this statement about support of the bladder,bowel, and pelvic bones! Will this effect my health in supporting these areas if mt uterus is gone? I feel kind of scared about removing my uterus! thanks for reponses xoxo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2009, 04:37 AM
Re: i researched on the function of the uterus besides childbirth....

Hi Pinkrocks,

From what I have read this is correct. The uterus holds everything into place and when its removed we all run the risk of prolapse (dropping bladder or bowel) normally we all take that chance when having our surgeries. I was fine after my hyst my bladder and bowel did not drop . Do some research on prolapse and you will get lots of information in this area. Good luck and happy research...
Unread 05-07-2009, 04:59 AM

Well, in my case - and many others, guess it didn't matter because my uterus was retroverted (tipped backwards). It certainly didn't hold my bladder up, but ended up just laying on my bowels.

With that said - during MY research, I have found that women with a retroverted uterus have a substantially higher chance or pelvic prolapse, which I had)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-07-2009, 06:02 AM

I don't know if supporting bones makes sense. The skeleton is supposed to do that, not the other way around.
Unread 05-07-2009, 06:55 PM

Exactly. Please try to remember that, while wikipedia can be fun to use and a helpful place to start if you're looking for information, it is NOT a credible source of medical information.

The uterus does not in any way "support the pelvic bones". It is connected to them, as well as to the other organs mentioned, by a series of pelvic ligaments. However, if the uterus is going to drop, it drops, and it tends to drag all that other stuff down with it. That's why many of us who've had a severe uterine prolapse have also had a cystocele (bladder prolapse) and rectocele (rectal prolapse). There is no way you can count on your uterus to stay exactly in place forever and hold all your pelvic structures up, no matter how nicely someone writes it.

-Linda
Unread 05-07-2009, 08:09 PM

With any surgery make sure you do research and know what you are getting into. It is not reversible. Good luck.
Unread 05-08-2009, 12:52 PM

I guess prolapse is a risk of hysterectomy. I'm not sure what the statistics are, but I don't think the percentages are very high. On the other hand, as noted, a lot of women have a hysterectomy because of prolapse. You'll need to weigh the pros and cons of having the surgery and how you feel about the potential risks vs. not having it and either trying other treatments or putting up with the problems if no other treatments will work.
Unread 05-08-2009, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferbabe View Post
Exactly. Please try to remember that, while wikipedia can be fun to use and a helpful place to start if you're looking for information, it is NOT a credible source of medical information.
very true. wikipedia can be edited by anyone. so it is best to not use it as a complete credible source of information.
as the website states - it is written collaboratively by readers.
I would recommend checking with your doctor for information about what your insides will do upon the removal of the uterus.
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:02 AM

Thanks ladies! I will stay away from wikipedia for now on!lol. I feel much better having that explained to me! xoxo
Unread 05-11-2009, 04:05 AM

I had bladder issues before my hysterectomy... I had to pee all the time and was on Detrol LA. I must say, the one good thing that came from all this, is I no longer have bladder problems yay. Good luck to you.
kristi

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register