I Need Advice!!! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I Need Advice!!! I Need Advice!!!

Unread 10-14-2006, 06:22 PM
I Need Advice!!!

I had my hysterectomy a year ago when I was 29. It was supposed to be removal of the uterus only since my cervix was healthy. The reason for the hysterectomy was radical periods... I bled 3 weeks out of the month, two weeks very heavily.

Yesterday I had an 1 year post op with a different doctor (I moved so had to find a new one.) What she discovered is that I HAVE NO CERVIX!!! I feel like the man that did the surgery lied to me, and he certainly never mentioned having to remove it afterwards.

What would you do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2006, 06:40 PM
I Need Advice!!!

Can you get a copy of your original consent and the hospital records from the surgery? Those should tell you what took place. Until you have that, there's not too much you can do.
Unread 10-14-2006, 08:40 PM
I Need Advice!!!

It would be helpful to obtain your medical records for your new doc. That would also give you a chance to read up on what was done during your procedure.

Lots of doctors (especially old school) don't consider the uterus and cervix to be literally separate. So for many, hysterectomies are implied removal of both. I did specifically ask my doc to remove mine. He and I are very candid with each other and it's been a great experience. But even he told me that when referring to a hysterectomy especially if uterine prolapse has occured, then it is given that the uterus and cervix are removed. He explained that it was like a shirt and collar.... that they are connected as such. After seeing the photos of mine, I understand how they come to that conclusion.

What would I do? Not fret it. Obsessing over something I can't change won't do me any good. If I was having medical problems because of it's loss, then I'd probably think a little more critically about it. I read tons about the necessity of the cervix and was hardpressed to get anything objective regarding medicall necessity but plenty of subjective comments.

Best wishes ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-14-2006, 10:29 PM
I Need Advice!!!

Hi youngone

Your profile states that your procedure was LAVH, is that correct? The cervix cannot be salvaged with either of the vaginal hysterectomies (TVH or LAVH) - they are both total hysterectomies - meaning the total uterus (the uterine body and uterine neck (the cervix) is removed. )I'm sorry you weren't better informed with your consent.

I hope you are doing okay.

Gentle s,
Beth

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register