What can this be? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What can this be? What can this be?

Unread 09-19-2002, 03:42 AM
What can this be?

I went to the dr. yesterday for a vaginal ultrasound. He did find a cyst on my left ovary. But he says that is not what is causing my problems. I have to have laproscopic surgery done on Tuesday to try and find out what's wrong with me. Someone did mention to me in another post that they had one or more fibroid tumors that did not show up in the ultrasound. I asked the dr. if they should show up and he said yes. So my question to you girls is how many of you had fibroid tumors that weren't discovered until the laproscopy was done? He said I do not have any fibroid tumors or they would show on the ultrasound, but I have read that several ladies had these and they weren't discovered until the lap. was done. He did mention looking for endometriosis but since fibroid tumors run in my family, I just wondered about those as well. What is your story behind your pain, symptoms, etc if you had or have fibroid tumors or endo? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Oh, and if you can help me diagnose this, here are my symptoms...

last 2 periods have lasted 8 days instead of the normal 5, have been very heavy and painful, which he says could be attributed to the cyst

Pain in my lower back, legs, hip area. I was told last year I had sciatica which now they are saying they do not think I have, and that the pain is probably something related to female problems.

I feel like I have to have a bowel movement all the time, even when I don't have to. Also have to pee a lot.

Cannot have sex, it hurts to bad

sharp pains in my side, he says this is the cyst

I feel like I am pregnant and in labor. I feel like there is a baby inside me and it's trying to get out, lol

I feel bloated and gassy. Have gas pains in my stomach and also my shoulder.

Just to update everyone, I also have severe dysplasia and cervicitis. Both of these he says would not cause the type of pain I am in. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. I am in so much pain I cannot function without pain meds. He put me on vicodin yesterday which seems to help as long as I am taking them. If I go a few minutes past the time to take them, I feel it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-19-2002, 06:02 AM
What can this be?

Would not even attempt a diagnosis - I'm not a medical professional.

I can tell you that endo can cause a lot of the same symptoms you are having. General heaviness of the pelvic organs, shooting or sharp pains, gas pains, pain during intercourse, problems having BMs.

Endo shows itself during lap in many ways:

1. implants of endo tissue on organs (I have)
2. cysts of endo tissue (I don't have)
3. adhesions from the implants of endo tissue (I have)

I have never been diagnosed with fibroids. Never had vaginal ultrasound. Since history of endo, they suspect endo. However, when I have my TAH w/ possible BSO in November, I would not be suprised if they did find some fibroids.

The lap will tell a great deal. Also, it is fairly easy to recover from -you'll feel better in days rather than weeks.

Learn from my mistake: Don't lay down too much afterward as that slows the release of the gas they fill your abdomen with. Walk around as much as possible.

Best of luck to you.

Unread 09-19-2002, 06:52 AM
What can this be?

Eab,

Not a doctor either but your symptoms suggest endometriosis, in addition to the ovarian cyst.

Usually fibroids do not cause symptoms. The really small ones can produce heavier bleeding. The very large ones can put pressure on surrounding organs. The only time they would cause severe pain would be when they degenerate (outgrow their blood supply). These fibroids would NOT be missed on ultrasound. I have experienced all of the above.

I tend to side with your doctor in that fibroids should show on ultrasound. I don't know about the others' experience, but perhaps some time elapsed between their ultasound and the lap. Or the fibroid was so small it was overlooked by the radiologist. In any event a fibroid of that size would not cause the symptoms you describe.

Your doctor and you are doing the right thing by proceeding with the lap. Let us know what you find out on Tuesday.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register