how long before the swelling goes down? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long before the swelling goes down? how long before the swelling goes down?

Unread 05-17-2001, 05:30 AM
how long before the swelling goes down?

hello fellow hyster sisters!!!
i just wondered if any of you can give me some input on how long before the swelling will go down??? i am post-op 2 weeks today!! i feel okay, no pain, i just get tired once in awhile and yesterday for the first time since i've been home i felt a little blue. i know this is to be expected,but can someone give me a time frame. is it going to happen just once in a while or will it be for a stretch of time??
please let me know. thanks for listening.
god bless,
hidi **
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2001, 08:19 AM

Hi there!

You didn't say what type of surgery you had, but I had a TAH. I had constant swelling for 6 weeks or so, and then intermittant swelling after that for about 4 months (whenever I did too much!).

The best thing you can do for the swelling is get as much rest as possible!
Unread 05-17-2001, 08:25 AM

Hidi **,
The swelling takes awhile. Did you have TVH or TAH? Mine was TAH and it took between 6-8 weeks. Now that you feel much better please continue to Those who don't end up having complications and this throws off your body's much needed healing time.

In your profile you might want to add the type of surgery you had. Abbreviations are located in the drop down menu which is located in upper left hand corner of the screen.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-17-2001, 09:33 AM

Hi. I'm 10 weeks post op from a TAH/BSO on March 6th. I still get the swollen belly at times. I find that if I have been doing a lot during the day, by the late afternoon my tummy starts to swell like I'm fixing to start my period. My doctor told me that although they say that it is about 6 weeks recovery time, that's just for the basic healing to be done. He said that it takes AT LEAST 6 months to start getting back to normal. This is major surgery. If you see that you are starting to get a swollen belly, lay down and relax. Your body will give you all the cues as to what you need to do to take care of yourself. Just listen to them. I didn't listen too well at first and wound up calling the doctor doubled over in pain because I had done way too much. Take it easy. Good luck to you.

Chrissy
Unread 05-17-2001, 10:48 AM

i will be 6 wks post op this thursday and my swelling has gone away as of this week. i did not have a hyst but i had left ovary and tube removed by a bikini cut along with a 5 lb tumor and the dr said i had lots and lots of surgery due to it being wrapped around everything.
except for the first week or so i took it easy but still did more than most would have. at week 3 i was mowing the lawn with a push mower , went back to work after 2 weeks. i so far have not had any problems. i also never got tired , in fact i had more energy than i have had in a few years.
everyone heals at a different rate but it is nice to be able to see peoples post here so you do get an idea of what to expect maybe.
good luck
peggy13

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register