Pre-op was Tuesday. What is with the spinal? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-op was Tuesday. What is with the spinal? Pre-op was Tuesday. What is with the spinal?

Unread 05-13-2005, 06:18 AM
Pre-op was Tuesday. What is with the spinal?

My doc went over step by step what I can expect when I am admitted next Tuesday. She was explaining the general anesthesia, but also mentioned a spinal? I questioned her on this and she said it is safer for one, I won't have to be intubated, and something else but I cannot for the life of me remember.

Can anyone shed some light on this? Did anyone else have a spinal?

I am sooooo frightened after my pre-op. I am trying to be tough about this but I feel like a scared little 5 year old!

Oh, and yes, they are taking my cervix too, so I am having a TVH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2005, 06:35 AM
spine

that would be an epidural - the same type of anesthia that is used during a baby delivery. that is just one option. either way you are knocked out. as about the benefits to either type - general or epidural. you need to understand. I had a geneal - my throat was sore for two days and my mouth would dry up like dust when i talked to much.

surgery 5/10 - TAH
Unread 05-13-2005, 06:38 AM

Thanks!

Let me clarify..I am getting both. General AND a spinal...I have never heard of this before which is why I am wondering.

It's so funny because I just scanned the board and saw about 6 other "spinal" posts! I was so glad to see them and have read them all.

Thanks again for your reply~!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-13-2005, 07:03 AM

Hi saw your post and wanted to say that I had a general and epidural and there is absolutely nothing to worry about. I mentioned to my surgeon how frightened I was about the pain and he advised I had both and I am so glad I did as it definately helped my recovery. I like you was freaked out about having this done but please save your worrying as there is nothing to it. I was building myself up for being brave when the anaesthetist said OK that's done. So please do not worry. Everything is going to be great. Wishing you a very speedy recovery.

Love

Kim

--------------------------------
LAVH/BSO
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:15 AM

THanks Marjorie...reading posts like yours are invaluable in getting me through this "scared" phase!

I am afraid of anesthesia in general...and now that I am having BOTH I am feeling so scared about it!

I have 3 kids and am soooo worried that something is going to happen to me. Everytime I look at them now, I tear up and get so scared that I want to run away from everything and leave my uterus behind!

Thanks for your encouragment..this site is a Godsend.
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:27 AM

I had both, the epidural in my case was for pain control after. It was so much better then having morphine. I hated that, it just knocks you out. I was freaked about them putting it in but it went okay. It was nice to be lucid when I had visitors and when talking to the doctors and nurses after. I was able to remember what I needed to ask and remember the answers instead of being in lala land.
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:39 AM

I had a TAH and a general as well as a spinal shot before surgery. The shot was similar to a spinal and the lower half of my body was numb for about 36 hours. It made the first day bearable. I would highly recommend it.
Unread 05-13-2005, 07:49 AM

I had a spinal and a general. It was wonderful for pain control after surgery, I had no pain whatsoever. I did have to lay flat on my back the first day, but my DH was there to spoon feed me ice chips all day long. I don't remember anything about having the spinal put in because as soon as the nurse but my IV in before surgery, the anesthesiologist was there to put in an "amnesia drug".

Good Luck,
Kay
Unread 05-13-2005, 08:37 AM

Hi,
I wanted a spinal and some versed for sleeping because that is what they use for twilight sleep. I have had that before and it worked really well for me. I think some people think that a spinal and an epidural are the same thing and they're not.
I am going to post the difference. Anyway, you can have a spinal and something to sleep without being intubated which is the part that I hate. Doing it with a spinal and versed, you don't feel any pain and you are asleep. I had an interview (that is what they called it) with my anesthesiologist and he thought that it was a good idea to do it this way because I did really well the last time. Some doctors prefer to only do a general with a TAH. I hope this helps you. I will post the difference now.
Cheryl
Unread 05-13-2005, 10:18 AM

I am scheduled to have a spinal. After meeting with my doctor last week, she saw the fear in my eyes and said she would leave the decision up to the anesthesiologist and me.

I am extremely petrified, I have never had surgery before thus I don't have a clue as to what to expect. What if I choose a spinal, they find something else where they need to be in longer and it starts to wear off? How long does this stuff last?

Is this spinal the same spinal as when you are in labor? If so, it didn't work when I gave birth to my son 22 years ago.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register