Stay strong without HRT? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Stay strong without HRT? Stay strong without HRT?

Unread 11-08-2010, 10:03 PM
Stay strong without HRT?

I am scheduled for a laprscopic vaginal hysterectomy with removal of both ovaries.I am 37 years old and in good health otherwise.I have severe pain in my ovaries, cramping and spotting after moderate jogging.I like competive running and was wondering if anyone else has had a hysterectomy that was a competitive runner, and did it harm or enhance your performance?Also, i hate taking any type of meds, and the idea of putting Premarin(made of the urine of pregnant horses)into my body scares me.I have a very high impact lifestyle so Im concerned if i need to take horse urine, i mean estrogene for bone loss or heart health.Is estrogene really needed or is it just pushed on us by marketing companies?My mother went thru menopause naturally at 50 with no problems.I have started getting some signs of menopause myself and they are very managable,especially with evening primrose oil i use for PMS.I have soooo many questions!Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2010, 08:10 PM
Re: Stay strong without HRT?

Hi usernam and

I am not a competitive runner so I can't respond on that topic, but perhaps others who share your athletic attributes will be along soon to comment.

There are many HRT (hormone replacement therapy) products on the market besides Premarin. Some estrogen products have even gone generic in recent years (estradiol pills, for example) so we have lots of choices even if on a budget.

I had my TAH/BSO at the age of 50 and instead of starting HRT right away, I decided to "wait and see" what would happen as a result of a sudden and total loss of estrogen when my ovaries were removed. Suffice it to say, the results were not pretty. So, at my six-week post-op check up I told my gynecologist to "bring it on." I have now taken HRT for over seven years and would not want to live my life without it.

Surgical menopause patients react differently so your experiences may not be the same. My best advice is to keep your medical provider in the loop as to how you are feeling after your surgery. Help is available if you need it so there is no need for you to have to suffer.

s,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register