Going Back To Work Tomorrow | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going Back To Work Tomorrow Going Back To Work Tomorrow

Unread 06-04-2006, 09:07 PM
Going Back To Work Tomorrow

I am 5 weeks post op and requested that my doctor allow me to go back to work part time. Needless to say she said it was okay and I will be going back tomorrow. I have to admit that I totally did that out of aggravation and boredom. I must admit that I am totally bored, but have I lost my mind..is this to soon? I will return to see the doc on the 19th and at that point she said she will discuss with me about resuming all activities. I have read posts that some find that going back part time is much easier than being slammed into a full 40 hour week. I am trying to take this outlook (and from the look of my mailbox and desk at work), this may not be such a bad idea. Any thoughts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2006, 09:23 PM

I have not gone back to work yet but I am going to go back on 6-hour days next weekend. I feel like my old self and I think I could go back now except my job is all standing. I'm sure you'll do great, you would know if it was bad timing. Pace yourself and have a goodtime getting back in the groove. 2up2down
Unread 06-04-2006, 09:25 PM

dreamaker, it seems to me you are being very practical. better to ease yourself back in than be slammed. this way you have time to rest and catch up.

i'm doing the same this week. doing 2 days of a computer graphic gig...and having a day off in between so it won't wipe me out. very very part time but then i'm only week 3 tomorrow.

be kind to yourself. allow yourself to do nothing when you get home. and listen to your body. you'll know if it is too much.

*hugs for a fabulous day tomorrow*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-04-2006, 09:31 PM

Going back to work part-time worked really well for me. I went back after 3 weeks off. The first week I did 4 hours each day, the next week 6 hours each day and the third week I went back full time, but with Memorial Day it was only a 4-day week, so that worked nicely too.

Good luck with resuming your job.
Unread 06-04-2006, 09:33 PM

I'm sure your Doctor wouldn't let you go back to work if he/she didn't think you were able to. I think it's great that you can go back part time for a while and if your job isn't that physical and you're bored it makes sense.

I am taking my full 8 weeks. My Doc's plan is for me to resume "normal activity" at 6 weeks and take the 2 weeks to ramp up my activity for going back to work.

I work in a high stress environment in outside sales. They don't cut us too much slack --I'll go back to work and be expected to "do what it takes" :superman: to produce! I pretty much drive and schlep and walk most of the day and carry stuff with me.

I'm a little bored now... but nothing I won't get over! I plan on enjoying the last two weeks off! IKEA is opening here, so I'll go there and shop some! Also spend some time with grandson ... he can't figure out why Nanna won't pick him up, I'm sure! Oh... and rest when I need too!
Unread 06-04-2006, 10:05 PM

I have a desk job, nothing physical.

I went back to work (from a TAH) at day 9. Starting with day 9 I went back to work for minimal hours and minimal days. Before going out for surgery I had made arrangements with my work to put in at least two hours a week (home or office) and they would pay me for the full 40 hours. Being they were being so generous I figured I could put in more than the agreed amount of time.

There were days I would plan on being at work for four hours and only made it two. Work had no problems if I did not stay the entire time planned, there were days I was more tired than usual that I needed to go home. By the time week 5 came I was putting in about 20-30 hours a week.

I recovered very well from the surgery and was ready to go to work. I was bored at home, not being able to do anything. At least at work I could answer the phone, process wage changes and evaluations, etc.

For me it was nice to go back to work at a slow pace...kept the emails down, in box empty and easier when it was time to go back to 40 hours a week.
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:07 PM

dreamaker...hope your return to work goes well for you. I returned to work at 6-weeks and maybe could have returned at 5, but didn't want to push it. I returned to full 8-hour days, 5-days a week and haven't had any problem, but the type of work you do has LOTS to do w/it. The hardest part of returning to work for me was getting myself back on a schedule...seems like it took me longer to get ready. As you can tell everyone heals differently...I'm totally amazed at 100792 returning to work at 9 days...WOW! I was glad to get back to work and regain that feeling of normalcy (whatever that is )
Keep up the good work ladies (no pun intended!)
Unread 06-05-2006, 07:13 PM

dreamaker....if your work lets you go back partime I would do that for a week. I know when I went back full time I was feeling so exhausted that by the weekend I could not stay awake past 8:00.....I have been back for 4 weeks and I am still exhausted at the end of the night. Take it one day at a time and don't push yourself....Good luck
Unread 06-06-2006, 12:56 PM

Thanks all for the advice...I am sooooooo amazed at 100792...at 9 days, I was still unable to sit, stand, lay without being miserable...getting dressed or driving was impossible..heck I was still taking so many pain meds, you would have thought I needed rehab....lol..but kudos to all of us know matter when our returns are..we are now and forever...Super Princesses...
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:31 PM

Hi sisters,

For those of you who were amazed that I went to work early (day 9, see earlier post). I had been trying to have my hysterectomy for over a decade that when the doctor finally agreed I was ready, I had no regrets, no decisions to be made.

Because I was already mentally ready for this surgery I feel that this helped with my recovery. Due to that I was able to go back to work immediately.

As I mentioned in my earlier post, work is very light duty. I would go in and do data entry on my computer, process wage changes and evaluations. Attend safety meetings and enroll eligible employees for insurance. There was nothing at work that I would do that was outside of my recovery restrictions.

Good luck to each of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register