Push thru the pain???...what to do????6 week post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Push thru the pain???...what to do????6 week post op Push thru the pain???...what to do????6 week post op

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:05 AM
Push thru the pain???...what to do????6 week post op

Hi gals...<<<hugs>>> to all...
I've read thru previous posts and still I am wondering...is there a time when we just push thru the cramping/light bleeding to "make" ourselves build stamina after our surgeries...somehow I'm hearing my mother say "Just get up and get moving, you'll feel better." OR are the physical signals the red lights of our bodies saying STOP! and don't move until I say so!!!

I feel like I've benn on a roller coaster for 6 WEEKS...feeling well 1-2 days, start doing some light "regular" activities and then BAM! cramping/pain...exhausted feeling.

Yesterday I felt pretty good and thought I'd make dinner for my family that has been taking care of me so well...no obvious problems at that time, but 2 hours later I was in bed, curled up by cramping/pain!! and then a bathroom trip revealed light tinges of bright red blood...aaaaggghhh!

So I'm back in bed (DH orders ), waiting for a return call from the doc...feeling very defeated...scared because I'm due to go back to work Monday...wondering if I should just push thru or what to do...I've cried so much, I don't even have the will to cry thru this anymore...

Help sisters! anyone else...just tell me what to do...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:11 AM
Re: Push thru the pain???...what to do????6 week post op

I'm glad that you've put in a call to your dr. It just doesn't seem right that you're having so much pain at this point in recovery. Quite honestly, I never ended up curled up in pain but I know everyone is different. Still, at the 6 week point it seems odd that you'd have that much pain. The light bleeding might be nothing. I was still having that at the 6 week point but it completely stopped shortly after that. I'm so sorry that you've had such a rough time and things aren't better but I think it's time for a serious chat with your dr. (((HUGS))) - I hope you feel better soon.
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:15 AM

I would agree that one of the most frustrating parts of this recovery process is the "unknown". It is really hard to know what to do sometimes and I think you just have to trust what your body is telling you.
My thoughts are that if you are in this much discomfort from making dinner, not to mention the emotional exhaustion I suspect you're suffering from, that you might want to consider extending your leave from work. I know this is a difficult decision to make but you must do whatever you need to do to be well.....long term.
Take care and best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-17-2009, 11:27 AM

I am going through the exact same thing as you. I'm 9 weeks out from a TAH and still having pain, swelling, fatigue, soreness. My surgeon did an internal and external exam at 6 weeks and said that I was all healed up...no more restrictions go back to work the next day. I told him that I was still having pain, swelling, nausea and weight loss. In fact I was still having trouble walking and wore pajama pants to that appt. I also said I really didn't feel well enough to go back to work. After I told him all of the above and he examined me, he told me that he didn't see any reason why I couldn't go back to work (not a desk job either). He also said if I was having pain issues I should see my family Dr. and then he officially "released" me from his care. Okay that was 2 weeks ago. So I decided to go back to "normal" living IE doing more and more of what I regularly do. It is not working at all!!! In fact the more I do the more pain and swelling I have. I have tried for 2 weeks and it's just not working. I don't have the strength or stamina to do it. I have had to really cut back on activities and s-l-o-w right down. Do 1 job and then sit and rest. If I feel any pain or fatigue I need to rest. Personally I would say it doesn't work to push through...it has only made my pain and swelling worse. I see my damly Dr. and will be discussing all of this with her. She has aleady told me that I am healing slower than expected and that I really need to go s-l-o-w. Listen to your body. If you start to have pain.swelling stop and go rest. I know it's really hard to do!!! Remember that your body is still healing and (if you listen) it's telling you that you are doing too much. Hope this helps!!
Unread 11-17-2009, 11:48 AM

In this case I don't think it is a good idea to push through the pain. It sounds like your body is still telling you to slow down. I know that is hard at 6 weeks but I was a slow healer & I had to take it easy for over 2 months. It is not fun but I am So glad that I listened to my body. The pushing through the pain is for times when you can't do permanent damage. I am glad you called the doctor because you shouldn't be in a "lot" of pain at 6 weeks. I would ask the doctor if you can be off work a little longer. You need to take care of yourself at this time. Hang in there. You will feel better!
Unread 11-17-2009, 12:07 PM

Thanks sisters!! I'm still waiting for the doc to return my call (why does that seem to take FOREVER!!!)
I'm going to tell her how I'm doing and ask for a couple more weeks...super woman is going to stay in retirement for awhile longer

I really hadn't factored in the emotional exhaustion...thanks for the insight!
Unread 11-17-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glorywarrior View Post
I am going through the exact same thing as you. I'm 9 weeks out from a TAH and still having pain, swelling, fatigue, soreness. My surgeon did an internal and external exam at 6 weeks and said that I was all healed up...no more restrictions go back to work the next day. I told him that I was still having pain, swelling, nausea and weight loss. In fact I was still having trouble walking and wore pajama pants to that appt. I also said I really didn't feel well enough to go back to work. After I told him all of the above and he examined me, he told me that he didn't see any reason why I couldn't go back to work (not a desk job either). He also said if I was having pain issues I should see my family Dr. and then he officially "released" me from his care. Okay that was 2 weeks ago. So I decided to go back to "normal" living IE doing more and more of what I regularly do. It is not working at all!!! In fact the more I do the more pain and swelling I have. I have tried for 2 weeks and it's just not working. I don't have the strength or stamina to do it. I have had to really cut back on activities and s-l-o-w right down. Do 1 job and then sit and rest. If I feel any pain or fatigue I need to rest. Personally I would say it doesn't work to push through...it has only made my pain and swelling worse. I see my damly Dr. and will be discussing all of this with her. She has aleady told me that I am healing slower than expected and that I really need to go s-l-o-w. Listen to your body. If you start to have pain.swelling stop and go rest. I know it's really hard to do!!! Remember that your body is still healing and (if you listen) it's telling you that you are doing too much. Hope this helps!!
I read your posts while you were trying to get this resolved and wondered how it worked out for you...I'm sorry to hear you got pushed into going back before you were ready, but it sounds like you knew when to call time-out! That's what I need to do too! Thanks for posting...I can see pushing myself isn't going to help me in the long run...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register