Post-Op progress: TAH on Sept 7th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-Op progress: TAH on Sept 7th Post-Op progress: TAH on Sept 7th

Unread 09-28-2010, 05:38 PM
Post-Op progress: TAH on Sept 7th

Hello Ladies,

First off, I apologize for worrying anyone by not posting. I don't have a laptop and my chair at the computer is not very comfy.

So, had my surgery on the 7th and was ready to put all of my hystersister advice into practice. Well, the IMMENSE pain that I woke up with from surgery blocked out all rational thought. Bless their hearts, my nurses were right there with differing meds every ten minutes. Nothing worked until they hit the demerol. That took the edge off, some. The anesthesiologist came over to check on me as well, sweet people. I was ready to go to my room and have some morphine and my husband, and sad to say, in that order LOL. What I found amazing is how many narcotics you can shove into the body at 10 minute intervals without killing the recipient.

Got back to my room and there was my husband, whilst I was happy to see him, I wanted the drugs. My throat was also really sore because of the breathing tube, so I sounded like a pitiful frog all day. Btw, I would love to thank the sisters that recommended asking for a private room before going into surgery. The uncomfortability (word??) of the stay would have skyrocketed by a billion.

Once I was hooked up to the PCA, I was good to go. My nurses and PCT were the absolute best! By far the best hospital stay I have ever had (and the ob nurses in Utah were wonderful so this says something). I started getting a little upset when they wouldn't relent on the walking, but that's just cuz that stunk really bad in the first place. When they took the catheter out, that was lovely, and the first pee took all of my limited concentration powers (and the faucet on for inspiration). This time however, they did (what I call) a "pee ultrasound" to see if I got everything out. I had to do this twice. I passed both times, but it was torture because my incision was severely irritated (above and beyond the newness of being cut open) so when they wiped off the ultrasound goo I about hit the roof and threw up. Other than stupid IV alarms and leg contraction alarms, wasn't too bad of a hospital stay. Like I said, the nurses and especially the PCTs were wonderful.

Coming home, I had my pillow and my tummy binder (my hospital provided both, bless them). I had my chaise lounge at the house and husbands and kids to do my bidding. What I also had was the worse case of gas in my life. Holy crap! So, I had to choice but to get up and walk. I couldn't get anything out for 2 days, gas-x, tea, pushing, praying, rolaids...nothing worked. 2 days later, I had a little poot, but there was so much that didn't do anything. Then it came and my goodness I wanted to celebrate gas like it was Christmas!

At the end of a week post op I went on a little walk with the hubby and dog. I walked super slow and hand in hand, but it was nice. I came home and rested the rest of the evening. During this time as well, I was waking up every 4 hours to pee, so I was still not sleeping well. It was quite the commotion and system getting in and out of bed that required a multitude of blue words, grunts, and panting. Tilting up my mattress a little at the head helped tremendously.

Everyday after the first dog walk, I've been walking the dog at night. Now here is where the story turns a little. Peeing has become my main pain and chore. At the end of the first week post op, I wasn't really bleeding, and peeing felt like it still did when the catheter came out. It also started feeling like I was peeing glass, and worst of all, I became seriously...leaky. It wasn't as if I coughed or sneezed and let a little liquid go, it was almost as if I let it ALL go just standing there. Plus it's bloody. So I go and tell my doctor and pee in a cup, but there isn't anything in the urine to indicate a UTI, but she gave me antibiotics just in case. So now, (3 weeks post-op) I've changed period pads for Poise pads. I'm not so happy. The incontinence isn't as bad anymore, but it's still there. I don't even want to mention the smell. Dear Lord, I don't know how anyone can be around me, I feel like I'm radiating that smell. It's ridiculous.

I cheated and drove before my 2 week restriction was up (by just a couple days). I didn't know how many abdominal muscles were needed to drive, but it will wear you out. So, I drove and came home and rested, but I swear it felt so good to do something by myself, for myself.

I'm up and walking around and driving hither and yon, but I've discovered that I'm a little mentally slow. A couple of days ago, random sharp stabbing pains started showing up in my incision area, enough to ask for more pain meds (I'd been off of them for about a week). My husband has been quoting chapter and verse of the hystersister booklet and post-op milestones. While I'm so happy that he boned up on the subject, I'm living with a hystersister who nags....alot! Bless his heart, he is only telling me what my other dear sisters here would say "Sit down and pay attention to what your body is saying!" And I promise that I will sit and be still, and I do. Until the next day. Now, I'm not lifting anything heavy or over 10 pounds, that I'm abiding by. I'm honestly trying to be still, but I get ahead of myself because I feel good. Apparently it's an illusion. I will try to do better.

And this is where I am 3 weeks post-op. As for what my pathology report, it stated that i had endometriosis on my right fallopian tube (had it removed), adenomyosis, uterine fibroids, and scar tissue and adhesions on my left ovary and tube (both removed. Everything was stuck to the left side apparently). My cervix was also removed, no cancer anywhere. I was happy with everything that I heard because it meant I wasn't a period weenie with a tiny pain threshold, but there was seriously something wrong.

Once I get my bladder issues fixed I will be in lala land; as of right now I'm just in la land.

I'm sorry to hear that my other sisters are having such a crap time of it, and I'm sending out more positive thoughts and prayers to add to all the others. I hope you get to feeling better soon.

Blessings to all,
Becky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Re: Post-Op progress: TAH on Sept 7th

Sheriff35 ~ It is so good to hear you are doing well. Sounds like you are handling the hurdles that have been thrown your way. Keep doing what you are doing and you will continue to get more and more energy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register