Lupron to "bridge the gap" to menopause | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Lupron to "bridge the gap" to menopause Lupron to "bridge the gap" to menopause

Unread 06-28-2014, 08:04 PM
Lupron to "bridge the gap" to menopause

When doc gave us the news yesterday he offered Lupron and hysterectomy as my options. Has anyone had success with Lupron bridging the gap to menopause? I'm 49 so I'm getting close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2014, 09:39 AM
Re: Lupron to "bridge the gap" to menopause

Have you had your LH and FSH blood levels checked to see if you really are getting close? I am 49 next week and mine were checked and showed that despite getting peri-menopausal symptoms I was miles off the menopause.
Unread 06-29-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlands View Post
Have you had your LH and FSH blood levels checked to see if you really are getting close? I am 49 next week and mine were checked and showed that despite getting peri-menopausal symptoms I was miles off the menopause.
Thank you, I will talk to doc about that !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-29-2014, 03:49 PM

I am also 49. I have an unusual situation: I HAD a hysterectomy in 2009 - and removed my uterus and large fibroid. It was done laparasocpically. The fibroid and uterus were morcellated.

Flash forward 4 years - last year I was diagnosed with a fibroid in my pelvic cavity which can't be removed without also removing my bowel. (most likely a result of the morcellatoin)

I am on Lupron which has shrunk the fibroid. I will be on the Lupron until I go into menopause. Honestly If I were in your shoes, I think I would choose the surgery. Lupron is not easy - though for me it has been a miracle.

Good luck.
Unread 06-29-2014, 03:53 PM

I'm sorry to hear that !
I've been on Lupron before. In 2009 when doc thought I had endometriosis. You are right, it is no picnic to be on ! My husband doesn't seem to remember the side effects of it and he's leary of surgeries. I told him I would look into others experiences before I made a final decision and scheduled my hysterectomy.
Unread 06-30-2014, 09:51 AM

Ladies,
I had my first 3 month shot of Lupron in April. Now I have started cramping. Anyone familiar with it wearing off early? When you get your second shot, do you have another period? Just trying to figure things out as I await my Hysterectomy in November, I hope.
Unread 06-30-2014, 07:18 PM

I took Lupron twice to treat Endometriosis. After the first time, I swore I would never take it again. Then I let a doctor scare me into thinking I had to take it to prevent Endometrial Cysts from rupturing and needing an emergency surgery. I just had my hysterectomy (age 39) this past week so of course, will never take it again. So far the recovery from my hysterectomy has been so much easier than I expected, and way easier than Lupron. I have had a few night sweats and 1 hot flash, but have started my HRT so I am hoping that they don't get any worse than they are right now. Besides the awful side effects of Lupron, I feel like it pre-maturely aged me. I took it at 27 and again at 29, so I was no where near menopause yet went through it twice. I can't prove that any of my lasting side effects are from Lupron, but I would definitely recommend the hysterectomy over it.
Excuse me if I am rambling a bit - still foggy from anesthesia I think!
Unread 06-30-2014, 07:37 PM

I scheduled my hysterectomy for July 21....no more lupron for me ! I will be keeping my ovaries
Unread 06-30-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtorres View Post
Ladies,
I had my first 3 month shot of Lupron in April. Now I have started cramping. Anyone familiar with it wearing off early? When you get your second shot, do you have another period? Just trying to figure things out as I await my Hysterectomy in November, I hope.
I had the monthly shots. I didnt have any troubles between injections

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register