Following the doctor's orders | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Closed Thread

Following the doctor's orders Following the doctor's orders

Unread 05-26-2007, 04:37 PM
Following the doctor's orders

6 weeks is a long time for a lot of us to just rest and walk. We all know that's what we have to do in order to heal well, but it's just not that easy. We have lifes and can't just rest rest rest and walk and rest.

So.............fess up. What have you done that you won't be disclosing to your doctor?

Me? Well at 4 weeks I pulled a few weeds. He told me not to. I also vacuumed a little. I was extremely careful though, but the doctor doesn't need to know that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2007, 05:02 PM

I too vacuumed some at around 4-5 weeks. My daughter was over early in my recovery and vacuumed a couple of times. It seemed like my hubby & son didn't mind the dog & cat hair, but it was driving me nuts!!!
Unread 05-26-2007, 05:33 PM

True confessions...as I lay on my couch the other day, I heard my cat....about to hock up a fur ball...I picked him up (17 lbs!!!) and tossed him into the kitchen (vinyl floor instead of carpet) ...and let me tell you....OOUUCCHH!!!!!!!!!

** Notice no cat was harmed in anyway in this event, he is my bud, I just did not think about anything but not scrubbing cat puke up (again)!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-26-2007, 05:45 PM

Hey, since it's 'fess-up time, here's mine...at 2 weeks I washed out the tub, carefully and slowly so I could bathe. Then at 5 weeks I did some grocery shopping. Mind you, I did my best to keep it to a minimum except for the 15lb. bag of dog food which I dropped off the shelf straight into the cart. Then I had the cashier scan it while still in the cart, then put it into the trunk of the car. So at home, my son then carried it into the house and dumped it into the food crate. And about 3 weeks I picked a few peices of clothing up off the floor, I couldn't resist!! So I'm bad, I confess.
Unread 05-26-2007, 05:53 PM

I have done a few things I shouldn't have like the day I came home from hospital my cat got outside and I was down on my hands and knees trying to coax him out from under the shed - and carrying him (18lbs.) back into the house when I finally got a hold of him -- but I have not had ANY urge to sweep or vacuum.
Unread 05-26-2007, 06:36 PM
I amglad I'm not the only one to break the rules!!

I vacuumed a tiny bit at 3&1/2 weeks. I have and 8 lb. Orek vacuum which is a sinch to push. I also have been doing small loads of laundry and picking things up off the floor with bending from my knees. I also have grocery shopped but not large quantities. It is really really hard to keep a household functioning with out me doing something. My DH and DD seemed to think that with the doctors release to drive they didn't have to help as much. But my DH as we speak is cleaning the windows so he is still doing a lot around here.
I have had zero abdominal/ incisional pain since day 14 post-op. I haven't taken pain meds since day 5 post-op.
Unread 05-26-2007, 06:36 PM

I am hour days post op and put a blanket in the washing machine to wash today. Then the pain started so I lay back down on my bed and have pretty much been there the rest of the day.

I wanted to go to the grocery store with my hubby this morning just to get out of the house but by the time I took a shower and threw a blanket into the washer, I was done for so I have been out of commission for the rest of the day.

I am so accustomed to being on the go this resting is driving me nuts.

Calitta
Unread 05-26-2007, 06:48 PM

I know it's crazy, but I hung curtains the day after I got home from the hospital. I have this awful-looking patio door that I had just bought curtains for and I was dying to have them up. Now, I did take it easy--nice, slow motions, frequent rests... but hang those curtains I did! I have pretty much done everything from about week 1 with the exclusion of standing up for too long a period of time (I rest after about 1 hour) and picking up heavy things. I haven't been all that tired and have had little pain (had a complete vaginal hysterectomy with bladder repair (sling), rectocele repair, urethra repair.) I am not recommending this kind of disobedience to anyone, but I couldn't stand being sedentary. I feel pretty normal at this point--5 weeks out--but the swelly belly still comes and goes. Am still waiting for sex though--that's the one activity I'm more reticent about!
Unread 05-26-2007, 06:53 PM

I guess I'm the good girl here (what a change from my real life persona). Doing nothing but walking but I'm probalby overdoing the walking if is there is such a thing.

Orders say nothing strenuous -- no lifting, but I do bend over when I can't stand to look at stuff on the floor (mainly using my legs in a squat) and hold my stomach muscles in.

Believe me, I'm milking this recovery thing for all its worth! My life is so hectic and this is like a vacation for me!
Unread 05-26-2007, 07:41 PM

Ive been a pretty good girl. I would say my biggest no-no was lifting items heavier then
5 lbs. I didnt become bad till after 2 weeks though. If I dont do the laundry, no one will. If I had an abdominal incision I would have been more careful.
Closed Thread

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register