Preadmission includes a talk with psychologist - anyone else? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preadmission includes a talk with psychologist - anyone else? Preadmission includes a talk with psychologist - anyone else?

Unread 11-15-2010, 08:14 AM
Preadmission includes a talk with psychologist - anyone else?

I was just told by my Doctor that my Preaddimision testing will involve talking to a physcoigist Has anyone done this before?. I can understand this for a younger person but I am 51 and can't see the need to do this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2010, 10:02 AM
Re: Preadmission includes a talk with psychologist - anyone else?

No but I hope they do with me. I'm an emotional wreck! My boyfriend almost had me committed the other night! It seems to me that the medical community might be finally realizing what an emotional toll these surgeries are on women.
Unread 11-15-2010, 10:22 AM

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with you, especially if you have no problems with having surgery. However, this is something that will vary from hospital to hospital, and doctor to doctor. It is not necessary a bad thing, as they may be able address any other concerns that you have about surgery. I say, "Go for it, and see what the outcome is!" It cannot hurt anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-15-2010, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjenlynn View Post
No but I hope they do with me. I'm an emotional wreck! My boyfriend almost had me committed the other night! It seems to me that the medical community might be finally realizing what an emotional toll these surgeries are on women.
I am they same way it is horrible are you going through Menopause? this could be causing it also. You need hormones Girl. Beg for them if you have to but it helps. I am just having issues with the surgery and I cry all the time and yell at people for no reason I know what you are going through. I wish I could call to talk and go out for coffee
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:05 PM

I didn't but I think it's very cool that you get that service. That is some good insurance! I agree that many women would benefit from that talk, especially those who are of childbearing years. Perhaps they have to offer it to everyone to avoid age discrimination.
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:49 PM

Iamananny -

My hospital didn't offer it but I had a counsellor for years because of low-grade anxiety and depression. It was a lifesaver for me.

Personally, I think this service should be offered to more people.

Go for it.

G.
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamananny View Post
I am they same way it is horrible are you going through Menopause? this could be causing it also. You need hormones Girl. Beg for them if you have to but it helps. I am just having issues with the surgery and I cry all the time and yell at people for no reason I know what you are going through. I wish I could call to talk and go out for coffee
Honestly I don't know what's wrong with me. My boyfriend has been telling me for 6 months that I'm going thru menopause but I'm only 39. I'm always HOT! I crank up the air until everyone is frozen. I'm moody and every little thing hurts my feelings. I'm starting to think maybe my fibroids are sucking all my estrogen from my body? My doctor is always in a rush and I forget to ask questions. Unless my boyfriend comes with me to ask for me I just clam up. I'm sure everything will be more clear once they open me up. Thanks for the advise, I will mention hormons when I see the doc at the hospital. I'm trying to quit smoking first and I'm going to put a patch on while I'm recovering. I'm really scared about blood clots in my lungs.
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystalblue View Post
I didn't but I think it's very cool that you get that service. That is some good insurance! I agree that many women would benefit from that talk, especially those who are of childbearing years. Perhaps they have to offer it to everyone to avoid age discrimination.
I also have to tour the hospital. I have been there so many times but this is just a policy
Unread 11-16-2010, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjenlynn View Post
Honestly I don't know what's wrong with me. My boyfriend has been telling me for 6 months that I'm going thru menopause but I'm only 39. I'm always HOT! I crank up the air until everyone is frozen. I'm moody and every little thing hurts my feelings. I'm starting to think maybe my fibroids are sucking all my estrogen from my body? My doctor is always in a rush and I forget to ask questions. Unless my boyfriend comes with me to ask for me I just clam up. I'm sure everything will be more clear once they open me up. Thanks for the advise, I will mention hormons when I see the doc at the hospital. I'm trying to quit smoking first and I'm going to put a patch on while I'm recovering. I'm really scared about blood clots in my lungs.
quiting smoking is a great idea especially before surgery. It may not be menopause But I would place a bet that it is Permenopause. This is the time before menopause where you are getting ready for the really thing. Sorry to tell you this but it can last for years. After surgery I hope you feel better. I can't wait for mine to be over so I can just enjoy life again. I hate being sad.
Unread 11-16-2010, 07:11 AM

I love the idea of talking to someone and really, really wish they would have offered this for me. I'm a total wreck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register