just a bit worried | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

just a bit worried just a bit worried

Unread 03-28-2005, 02:45 AM
just a bit worried

I am on day 12 and I have been getting what feels like period pains and brown discharge. Is this normal? Could someone please let me know? I Felt great when I got home but seem to have a lot of pain now.

Love Dawnie uk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2005, 03:28 AM
just a bit worried

Hi dawnie,

Brown discharge is normally as it is dead/old blood coming away, but it is scary, as long as it is not enough to make you have to change a pad every couple of hours it should be ok.
The pain could also be normal (have you done too much over the easter weekend without realising it?)

You will get some pain and discharge and if you have over done it it will make it worse.

Could it be that you should have had your period this weekend (your body may not have caught up with the surgery yet and the hormones are still telling your body its that time)

If you are worried call the ward you were on for surgery and ask to talk to the sister in charge, she will be able to advise you better (and they don't mind)
At the Hosp I was in in London, they told me to call them if I had any problems at a weekend as it can be difficult to get hold of a Dr.

If the pain or discharge get any worse go straight to A&E and get it checked out.
Unread 03-28-2005, 04:56 AM
just a bit worried

Thank you for your advice, I will take it on board. All I have done this weekend is have baths and watch tv. I hate not knowing what is going on with my body and having all these weird sensations.
Dawnie uk x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-28-2005, 08:57 AM
just a bit worried

Hi dawnie,

It is pretty normal to have some aches and pains now that all the anesthesia has worn off and you are doing a bit more. These pains can also be bowel related. Gas can cause a lot of discomfort. You might want to pay special attention to that and make sure you are eating enough fiber to keep your system cleaned out.
Are you still taking some pain meds? If you are and still hurt a lot, don't hesitate to call your dr and ask about it. There are just so many things that can be involved,we can only give you ideas.
I hope you feel better today. Let us know.

's, Rita
Unread 03-28-2005, 09:43 AM
just a bit worried

Hi Dawnie ~

You are only 12 days from major surgery...sounds normal to me...at least that's how I felt.

Has you DR. cleared you for taking a bath rather than a shower? In my case I could not take a bath (and there is nothing like a nice hot bubble bath!) for 6 weeks! (to prevent bacteria from getting into the abdominal cavity)

Very Best wishes to you! Your sister
from across the pond!
Plumie : )
Unread 03-29-2005, 01:22 PM
just a bit worried

I have spoken to my doctor, and he says that it is either old blood from my hysterectomy, or I'm overdoing it, so most of you were right. Thanks for all the support and comfort, I don't know what I'd have done without this website.

Dawnie Uk xx
Unread 03-29-2005, 02:57 PM
just a bit worried

So now you do less

It might be the sitting and watching telly, sitting is not good for you, lay down more often a recliner is good if you have one.

short walks and lots of rest is what is needed now.

So take it even more easy than you have been.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register