Concerned about doctor's lack of attention | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Concerned about doctor's lack of attention Concerned about doctor's lack of attention

Unread 06-06-2006, 06:02 PM
Concerned about doctor's lack of attention

I have a uterus the size of a 20 week pregnancy, 8 large fibroids and PCOS. I will be getting a hysterectomy in July. Last month my ob/gyn did a biopsy (which was very uncomfortable) in her office. The lab results came back that she did not get enough tissue. When she told me this, she said that she needed to do a D&C in the hospital. I had my pre-op appointment with her on May 25 during which she explained the procedure and answered some questions I had. My D&C was scheduled for 10:00 a.m. today. At 7:30 a.m. today, I received a call from the hospital informing me that they had a cancellation and would like to move the time of my procedure up. I told them I could be there at 9:30.
After I completed the paperwork at the hospital, I was taken to the preop area, where they checked by blood pressure, etc. Then I talked to the antheseilogist. The nurse gave me something to make me fall asleep. I woke up in the recovery area around 12:30 p.m. and my mom was brought into the recovery area.
My mom told her that my ob/gyn called her on the phone in the waiting area at 11:00 a.m. and told her that the D & C went fine and that she would call me with the results by the end of the week.
I feel that I should have seen my ob/gyn while I was in the preop area. What if I had questions about the D&C procedure?? Could this be indicitave of how she is going to treat me when I have the hysterectomy? My mom expected to talk to her face to face after the D&C.
Or am I overreacting? The procedure was short and she did answer all my questions during the preop appointment in her office. Perhaps she did not come see me in the preop area because the hospital moved the time of my procedure up. Perhaps she did not talk to my mom face to face because she did not really have any information to tell her.
I am very nervous about getting the hysterectomy. I do not have any previous surgical experience with my ob/gyn but she has been my doctor for a few years. I would appreciate any opinions on what happended to me today. Sorry for the length of this post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2006, 06:38 PM

You have a right to be upset. I've had many surgeries including laps and my hysterectomy. All of my surgeries the doctor saw me before I went to the OR. My doctors only called my family if they weren't at the hospital. But, on the other hand when DH had surgery his doctor called me and I was waiting in the waiting area.

I would definitely let your doctor know how you feel. So she knows before your hysterectomy.

Sharon
Unread 06-06-2006, 07:07 PM

When I had my EA in February I saw the doctor before in the pre-op area, and he came by after in the recovery area (even though I barely remember it). He then went out and talked to my DH. I totally trust my doctor, which is a huge relief to me. Make sure that he does whatever makes you comfortable!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-06-2006, 07:52 PM

Hi Tiffany, I'm sorry you weren't happy with your treatment. Like you I had an in-office biopsy and the Dr was unable to get enough tissue for the test so I had to have a D & C. Most times the Dr will poke his head into pre-op to talk to you and answer any last minute questions you might have. Often times the Dr is performing another operation while you are being prepped and may have taken a bit longer than anticipated and was unable to come to see you in the pre-op area. I was scheduled for the hysterectomy at 7:30AM, by 8:00 the nurses told me my Gyn was still performing a C-section and it would be at least another 1/2 hour before I could be taken into the OR. I never did get to see him in pre-op, he met me in the hallway while the techs were transporting me on the gurney.
As far as your Mom getting information, I'm not sure if she is designated as your proxy but HIPPA laws prevent releasing information to anyone who is not authorized. Usually the Dr will call your support person and just tell them the operation went fine and that he/she will call you with the results. Don't be too upset about this, you did say she answered all of your questions at your pre-op appointment. I would just be sure to write down your list of questions prior to your hysterectomy and let her know that you would be more comfortable if she would visit you in pre-op just in case you have any last minute questions. I am sure she would do that for you.
Michelle
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:08 PM

I am sorry you are feeling upset about not seeing your dr before and after your D&C. Often surgeons schedule several surgeries at a time and sometimes are unable to meet with their patients before and after surgery. For some ladies it is very important that they see their dr the day of surgery, for some of us it is okay if we don't.

I can share my experience with you and see if it helps. A few weeks before my hyst, I had a lap, hysteroscopy, and D&C with my GYN who is also my surgeon. Because a surgery before mine had ran longer, I was unable to meet with my dr prior to my procedures. While I was in recovery, my dr met with my DH. The same thing happened for my hyst.

I was not upset that I did not get to see my dr prior to my procedures as I had asked all my questions of him prior to each surgery. The nurses did an excellent job of helping me and answering anything I thought up at the last minute prior to both procedures. I trusted my dr so I was okay with not seeing him. After surgery I was so groggy that even if my dr had visited me I would have not benefited from it! But both times he spoke to my DH and let him know how everything went so DH could tell me when I was finally coherent. I left the surgical center after my lap with an appointment to see my dr a few days later when he would have my results back. I also was told to call his number if I needed him at all, and he could be paged. My dr visited me in my hospital room the evening of my hyst, and every day after that, sometimes twice a day, for the rest of my 10 day visit. He even visited me on Thanksgiving Day and finally sent me home!

If you are uncomfortable with not seeing your dr before and after surgery, you need to let you dr know. Maybe she can make a special point of seeing you to ease your mind. You need to feel as omfortable with your dr as you can. Often just letting your dr know what you need can make a world of difference.

Many best wishes to you.
Unread 06-06-2006, 08:26 PM

It might be because your surgery was rescheduled at the last minute that you Dr wasnt able to see you prior to the procedure. Another idea, your Dr may have felt that your questions were answered to your satisfaction during your in-office pre-op appt.

RE: as to why the Dr didnt come see you in recovery--I've learned that some Dr's dont bother with speaking to the patient at this time due to the patient still being sedated and not able to comprehend whats being said, hence why your Dr spoke briefly to your mom via telephone.

From reading your post I dont see where anything was done incorrectly on the Dr's part. That doesnt mean that you shouldnt voice your concern regarding her particular habits post-op. Maybe if she knows you'd be more comfortable seeing her even for a brief chat post-op she can work this into her schedule.

Take care
diana
Unread 06-07-2006, 11:04 AM

I have had 2 cone biopsies with D&C in an outpatient facility with my ob/gyn. Both times he came in and visited with me before surgery and then went out and talked face to face with my family member after the surgery. I would indicate to your doc that you would be more comfortable seeing her before a major surgery like a hyst.
Unread 06-07-2006, 11:48 AM

I am probably going to say some of the same things the other ladies have said, but I wanted to share my ecperience in the hopes that it helps.

I had a lapro done about a month ago to check for and treat endo. I spoke with my doc for about 2 secs before the operation.(My surgery was delayed due to his performing a c section also). He said "hi" I said "hi", he said, "Any questions?" I said," will someone call my DH when its done?" He said , "Tell the nurses," smiled and was on his way.
I woke up, He said, "mumble, mumble...location of endo...mumble mumble..complete hsterectomy....mumble ...call my office."
The mumbles are because I was still so loopy. I did manage to croak out, "Were you able to get any of the endo?" to which he replied, "No, I am sorry."

When I saw my husband, he told me the doc called him and said pretty much the same thing, without all of the mumbles. He did say he wanted to save a full on discussion until we were in his office for the post op, because the answer to one question usually leads to 5 more questions, and it goes on and on.
I was pretty happy with that. he answered alot of my questions there in the office and we scheduled my hyst for the 20th of this month.
However, time went on and I had some more questions, so now I have a pre-pre-op appt with him. Maybe you could call your docs office and request and appt. strictly for asking questions. You will be better able to focus on the answers.
One thing I have learned on this website, the docs are good at diagnosing and performing the surgery, but they are not psychic.
Be your own advocate and share with them your expectations.
Good Luck,,,this is a very scary time and I am so sorry that your doc was not more understanding. but, don't be too hard on him, let 'em know what you need.

Please update us and let us know how it goes.
Unread 06-07-2006, 01:05 PM

Thank you for all the replies to my question. I have a post-op appointment scheduled in 2 weeks and I have my pre-op appoinment for the hysterectomy in early July. At both appointments I will I tell her that I want to see her in the pre-op area at the time of my hysterectomy and to talk to my family members face to face. Also I am going to tell her about it when she gives me the results of the D&C.
I think the change in time of the procedure might have something to do with me not seeing her in the preop area. When I talked to her office assistant on Monday about another matter, she told me that I would see the doctor on the day of the D&C.
This website is great and I appreciate your support.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register