Having a vaginal hyst, any advice? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having a vaginal hyst, any advice? Having a vaginal hyst, any advice?

Unread 09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
New here

Hi All,

I am new here. I am going in for my hyster on 10/4. I am not sure what to expect. I am going to have a vaginal hyster. This has the least time off. Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2007, 05:17 PM
Having a vaginal hyst, any advice?

Welcome to the site! I hope you find a lot of support and information, especially here in the Pre Op forum where other ladies are also preparing for surgery!

We have several Pre Op articles you might find helpful!

Many best wishes to you for a successful surgery and a super recovery!
Unread 09-28-2007, 06:32 PM

Hi,
I had a TVH they took both ovaries as well. I have had a very easy time. I had it on 14Sep and I was able to go back to work all this week. M-Thu I worked 9-2 and today 9-530p. I work out of my home on the compter most of the day. I just get a little tired in the afternoons, but am doing great.

I spent 2 nights in the hospital and spent the following week taking it easy. I had very little pain. It really just felt like muscular aches.

Any more questions, let me know!
Sally
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-28-2007, 06:57 PM

Hi JSFreeman:

I just had a vag hys on 9/24. I went in to the hospital monday morning and was out of there on Tuesday. I was up and out of bed early Tuesday morning walking the halls at the hospital. It's painful, I won't lie, but not too bad, plus you get good drugs that help with the pain. What to expect: Expect a bowel prep the day before-laxative, no food usually, also expect to wake up with a catheter already in place. As soon as you can get up to pee, that comes out. Expect to be very tired and sleep a lot. This is good for you and helps you heal, but so does walking. I'm on day 5 post op now and feeling pretty good, but still a little pain without the pain meds. I'm still taking my demerol, but not as much. I hope that you have someone at home to do things for you, if not, ask your friends, because you won't be able to lift, or do much--Doc's orders. But you'll be walking and talking and it won't be as bad as you're probably imagining it to be. I know that I was freaked out and scared before the surgery too, but once I got the relaxing drug, I didn't remember anything after that. I only remember waking up to my DH and mom. I'm really doing quite well. It seems that on average, women stay in the hospital 2 nights, but I was motivated to get out of there asap. I was out the next day. Try not to get yourself too upset and worried. I'm sure everything will be just fine and you'll be on the road to recovery before you know it. Prayers for you, God Bless.
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:46 AM

I've figured out quite a few things that my Dr. never shared with me and I wish he would have.

1. A LAVH is supposed to have a quicker recovery time. Studies have shown that patients "recover" quicker with less complications and use less painkillers than those that have the TAH.

My thoughts and experience: I never had one ounce of pain. I was sore, that was it. My Dr. gave me 3 Celebrex's to take before the surgery and I swear they were sent from heaven. I was in Atlantic City for 2 days just 6 days post op. However, the most important thing to remember with this surgery is that it is still MAJOR SURGERY. Most of us with LAVH are under the same restrictions as far as lifting and sex, as those that had the TAH. I think people get confused about this because of the way Dr.'s present LAVH. It's easier in the sense that we don't have the external incision to deal with, but please remember that the internal work is still exactly the same. Internally, you will NOT heal quicker with LAVH. Energy levels are a bit better with LAVH, but you will still get tired.

2. Take your stool softeners. I can't stress this enough. The last thing you want is good bout with constipation.

3. Even if you keep your ovaries, expect for them to be mad at you for awhile. I see alot of women here that seem to get very emotional between weeks 2-4. Even with LAVH. I was a basket case during my second week. Remember, this too shall pass.

4. Expect to lose your concentration. Again, I see alot of women here complain about not being able to focus on much. This subsided for me during week 5. Thank goodness, I was ready to get tested for ADD.

5. Elastic waistbands are your friend. Even without the big incision, most with LAVH still swell. At 7 weeks post-op I am still swelling.

6. Try not to freak if you start spotting around weeks 3-6 for no reason after you've had no spotting. Certainly call your Dr., but alot of us seem to do this around this time.

I hope this helps you. I didn't go into what the surgery was like....there are many different posts here for you to read about that. I just wanted to give you some items that my Dr. never told me would happen to me AFTER the surgery but I wish he would have. I think if Dr.'s would just be upfront about some of this stuff, they would get less late night calls, lol.

Take care and good luck to you!
Unread 09-29-2007, 01:04 PM

Thanks for sharing the part about your ovaries "being mad at you!" LOL! That, and the spotting are my biggest concerns right now. I'm planning to have an LAVH and keep my ovaries.
Unread 09-29-2007, 01:52 PM
My Experince

I have to say my hysterectomy was my very first surgery, didn't have a clue what to expect, this site really helped me prepare. I made sure everything I used regularly was in easy reach so as not to bend or strecth. Cleaned house top to bottom (didn't want to look at messy house , also kept my mind and body busy while waiting!!) Surgery I thought was easy after I was put out, stayed only overnight. After that lots of rest , after the first week I was really tired of just sitting around. Thats when you really start feeling good...........Thats also when you want to be careful not to over do it. Be careful getting in and out of the car, let someone else push the grocery cart(especially when it starts getting full) and when you feel like bending over to get something DON'T, when your well enough try to stoop. Just remember your still healing inside . GOOD LUCK Brenda (52) TVH (Fibroids & Adnenomyosis) Ovaries Remain
Unread 09-29-2007, 02:13 PM

11306em had some really good tips!!

One thing that was invaluable for me (and DH) that she reminded me of was my "basket". I had an empty basket that I filled with my meds, Rolaids, Gas-X, lip balm, tissues, pens, cordless phone, and notepad (for store lists). I carried my goody bag everywhere. This kept me from jumping up everytime I needed something. It also kept me from calling for my DH every 20 minutes.
Unread 09-29-2007, 04:47 PM

My experience with a vaginal hyst was a bit different than what the others shared. I was completely shook up beforehand- tried to pretend I was doing just fine but I was scared to death. Believe me, that was the worst part of the whole thing.

I had chosen a fabulous doctor and he did a terrific job. The staff in the hospital were wonderful. I hurt but not anything terrible and I went home the day after the op. The hardest part has been the fatigue and weakness, which is not anything you can't cope with.

I was encouraged to take the pain meds whether I felt I needed it or not for the first week. I took Ibuprofen every 6 hours and then when I needed it a Percocet every 4 hours. It wasn't bad at all.

One thing about a vaginal hysterectomy that I think is different than the others is that you don't see your incision and all your stitches are internal. This can make you feel like you're being a wimp. Once the first week rolls by you or others may begin to think you should be up & about like normal. I am now a month post op and a trip through the grocery is exhausting beyond words. Don't let yourself get tricked into overdoing it.

I think it's important to have a positive outlook as well. I decided to enjoy my rest time- to catch up on the books I've always wanted to read, to enjoy being cosy and painting my nails and simply closing my eyes and listening to my ipod. This positive outlook has really helped me. Don't let yourself feel imprisoned while you're at home, instead think of it as time away from the world to do all those things you always wish you had time for.

I went for my post op yesterday & my doctor said I'm healing nicely though not there yet. I had to smile & tell him this was the very best choice I could have made for myself, getting rid of those horrible fibroids that were causing more problems than I ever realized. I woke up in the recovery room and could tell immediately that I could breathe better, didn't have a nasty weight on my belly, and imagine when was able to get up & out a little bit I found I had gone from a size 10 to a 4, all because of enormous fibroids.

If you are like me you will find the surgery & hospital time not scary at all (what a surprise) and the recovery while it's slower than you'd like it's not anything horrible.

Smile, your world is about to look a whole lot brighter. If I'd know it would be like this I would have saved myself a lot of fear. It's really not that bad.
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:55 PM

I had a TVH on April 5,2005. I did NOT have to do the bowel prep that has been mentioned.I think it is up to each Dr as to whether or not they want you to do that.I would call your Dr. and ask him/her about it.
I had my TVH on Tuesday morning, on Wed. I was up walking the halls at the hospital.I went home that same evening.
I think pain is a definate expected thing.I won't lie either, the pain can be intense.Depends on your pain tolerance as to how much it hurts.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register