TAH-Sent back to work at 3 weeks? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TAH-Sent back to work at 3 weeks? TAH-Sent back to work at 3 weeks?

Unread 11-23-2009, 03:33 PM
Re: TAH-Sent back to work at 3 weeks?

Wow, thank you for all of the support. Went I went in for surgery it was supposed to be a LAVH but turned into a TAH. That's why I was thinking 3 weeks at first. I did make the decision to wait and not go back until after 5 weeks and that will be for only 1/2 days at that point. Then it will be Christmas break so I will have off an additional 2 weeks. I am glad I made this decision. Especially after reading all of your posts. Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-24-2009, 02:12 AM

What other reasons did your doc give for clearing you that quickly?

I agree, definitely go back and talk to her.

Three weeks is awfully early for a TAH. You might be healing "fast" but that doesn't mean you are feeling top-of-the-world. Perhaps that you haven't complained led her to believe you're doing better than you thought.

Go back and discuss your concerns with her. Before you go, make a list so you can calmly and rationally get answers to everything. Walk her through a day now so she can assess how you truly feel and can better gauge whether or not you are prepared to sit upright for 8 hours a day this early.
Unread 11-24-2009, 09:29 AM

Yikes! The second post I've read today about someone contemplating going back to work after three weeks. I had TAH on Nov. 9th, and can't fathom such a thing! I drove for the first time yesterday, but I am not planning on returning to work until Jan. 4th. And I have a desk job! My doctor told me to plan on taking 6-8 weeks off, so that is exactly what I am doing. We only have ONE body. They will survive without you at work.... That's my two cents worth.
Unread 12-03-2009, 11:03 AM

3 weeks is not enough for a TAH to return to work, I was granted 6 by my work but I am going to ask for an extension, which they have to grant if my doctor fills out the forms. If you have had a TAH, you should stay out for at least 6 weeks, no matter what type of job you have.
Unread 12-03-2009, 12:10 PM

That is crazy!!! That seems wayyy too soon. In the old days I had heard that they used to keep you in the hospital for close to 3 weeks. Then rest at home, for however many weeks. I'm glad that isn't so as we live over an hour away from the hospital where I had my surgery. I know my husband was pretty tired going back and forth during my stay. I don't think I could have stayed any longer in there as the food wasn't as nutritious as you'd think it should be for a hospital and there was construction going on where they'd keep these huge lights on and they would shine in the windows keeping me up. Hard to get much sleep that way. I couldn't wait til they sprang me, haha.
My GynOncologist allowed me the 6wks of recovery. I had thought about doing half days on my 6th week but the transportation system I had available was not conducive to that type of schedule. I work in an office too but in order to get back and forth, I have to drive 30 mins to the train station and then catch a metro train or walk 10 mins to get to my office. Started out with a wheely backpack but even then one still had to pick it up in order to get on the first step of the train, at least. I tried keeping the load as light as possible. We're told less than 20 pounds. It's an hour and 20 mins each way on the train. At the end of the day, I was tired. Brutal by the end of the work week. I don't know what your transportation is like to and from your office, and I'm sure your doctor most likely doesn't either. Nor do they know exactly what is involved as you do your office work. Some people have work stations where they must be on their feet most of the day. Sitting all day doesn't help much either.
Good luck. I hope you can get your doc to up your stay at home a few more weeks.
Unread 12-08-2009, 03:32 AM

Ladies-
Thank you all for the encouragement and support! I called my doctor and told her that I did not think I was ready to go back to work yet due to the overwhelming fatigue. She agreed to extend my leave for an additional week and sent me for blood work. Guess she still thinks I should heal faster than 6 weeks (hahaha). Anyway, Best wishes to all my fellow sisters out there! and thank you again for your help!
Unread 12-08-2009, 04:43 AM

Well....office wor or not I feel you are returning too soon. I am 4 weeks post op and Iam not returning to work til Jan1. I had my surgery nov 6. I had complications also but the body still has not fully recovered in 3 weeks..wow. Its your option to tell the dr you feel you are not ready just as I did with my dr and he was more than happy to add a few weeks of recovery for me. I do not have a office type job.. I stock,pull pallets and do lifting so I as elated when he gave me the extra clearance for work. I think if you can afford to be off take those extra days you are going to need it as you have probably already noticed you have good days and bad days at this point...gooodluck
Unread 12-08-2009, 10:24 AM

That stresses me out to see that! 3 weeks?! My job won't even allow me to come back for 6 weeks, and my doctor won't consider moving that to 4 weeks, either. I agree with all above, tell your doctor NO, you're feeling well but not well enough to go back so soon. You had MAJOR surgery, with COMPLICATIONS Holy Cannoli, 10 hours, girl! I'm sending good thoughts your way. Be strong, and keep healing. Let us know what happens.
Unread 12-08-2009, 11:26 AM

I had an LSH on November 30th that only lasted 3 1/2 hours and my Dr. has me out for 4 weeks!! She told me she would have been 6-8 weeks if she would have opened me up! The way I feel right now, I am gladly taking all 4 weeks (and I may take a fifth since it would be the week of New Years when I return anyway). I would definitely get a second opinion sweetie, 3 weeks is very soon for the type of surgery you had. Like I've read so many times on this site: You only get one chance to heal properly.
Best wishes to you!
Unread 12-08-2009, 02:38 PM

Oh wow, she extended you for just ONE more week?? Why is she so stingy? It wouldn't hurt her ONE bit to just listen to you and give you the SIX weeks (at least) that you need! I was still limping around very slowly at 3 weeks! My doc said I would need 8-10 weeks since my job is somewhat physical. So I got approved at work for up to 10 weeks leave and when I told my doctor that, she said 10 weeks was just fine. I return the week after Xmas, and I've loved being home. Take advantage of every possible minute of time you can get to heal if you can...if your blood work comes up with just one little thing off, INSIST on the full 6 weeks!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register