TAH Activities | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 02-20-2013, 06:13 PM
Activities

I had my hysterectomy a week ago today. When I was discharged from the hospital my doctor said to resume normal activities. It wipes me out to take a shower...what restrictions should I have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-20-2013, 06:36 PM
Re: Activities

Hi Robyn and welcome!! Wow he really said to resume normal activities. I had a fairly easy recovery and even I was not ready to resume normal activities at 1 week. Look at the top of the page and click on hysterectomy check points. It will give you a gage of where you are in your recovery broken down into weeks.

I can tell you that when I had my TAH, my doctor said no bending, lifting, pulling or pushing. I had limitations on using the stairs. I wasn't allowed to be a passenger in the car until the two week mark and I was cleared to drive at 4 weeks. I was cleared for sex at 6 weeks. So the rule for that is nothing inside until you are cleared by your doctor.
Drink plenty of water, get plenty of rest, and walk. Most of all, listen to your body. Don't push yourself. You only have one chance to heal right the first time. Good luck to you and happy healing!

Lots of ((HUGS)) to you
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:14 PM

I had a TAH on Jan 2nd. I have the large abdominal incision. I was not allow to lift more than a gallon of milk, bend,twist etc for 4 weeks. After 4 weeks I could drive. At 6 weeks allowed to bend,twist and start resuming normal activities. I still do not intend to overdue it. I do not want complications from overdueing it. Healing takes a long time. Don't overdue it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-21-2013, 12:15 PM

I also stayed out of work for 7 weeks. I am going back next week.
Unread 02-21-2013, 12:58 PM

Robyn, I had a supracervical laproscopic hysterectomy 4 weeks ago. I go for my 4 week post op tomorrow and anticipate being cleared for most activities, but up to this point I was noT allowed to lift anything heavier then a gallon of milk. I could drive after a week and walk outside but not on the treadmill. I really allowed my body to heal because I was afraid of complications and adhesions. I think it paid off because at the end of week three I was feeling great and continue to be able to do all my household chores etc...now time to get cleared to go back to work and working out. Good luck!
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:24 PM

Thank you so much! I think sometimes he forgets he cut my stomach wide open! I am starting to feel better but I feel like I have a long way to go for sure! <3
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:36 PM

Robyn I'm 3 weeks out and still spend most days on the couch or bed. I still have 3 more weeks off of work. Please take it easy. You should only be resting and healing.
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:48 PM

Hi Robyn,

I am shocked he said to resume normal activities. I am one week post-op from LAVH and am still in bed. I get up several times a day for bathroom, but even that trip wipes me out. I'm on several restrictions: no driving, no lifting, no bending, no pushing, no pulling, no working. Pretty much don't do anything. I go for my post-op in one week and will find out if I can drive then, but that's 2 weeks post-op before they will even consider letting me drive. That was just for a LAVH with three incisions, not for being cut wide open like you were! My mother-in-law had a total hysterectomy late last year and it took her a good four months before she felt semi-normal again.

I'm sure your doctor has good intentions, but your body is ultimately the thing that will determine your limitations. If you cannot do normal activities, you should stop trying and contact your doctor. He may have mispoken or there may have been a miscommunication. Sometimes, however, doctors think that surgery isn't a big deal anymore and patients should recover immediately. I think no matter what it's really important you contact him to clarify your post-op instructions as well as let him know that you're having issues so you don't accidentally hurt yourself or lengthen your recovery.

Best of luck!
Angie
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:50 PM

Oh yes, I forgot the restriction about no sex for 6-8 weeks. That's a really important one!
Unread 02-21-2013, 05:53 PM
Activities

That one was actually stated...lol

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register