disbelief at post op consultation | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

disbelief at post op consultation disbelief at post op consultation

Unread 02-04-2011, 06:50 AM
disbelief at post op consultation

I had my post op consultation today - exactly 10 weeks after surgery and the consultant thought it was ONLY 8. I told him I have pain in my left side most of the time and that sometimes I turn over in bed and I get a searing pain in that side which leaves me in a lot of pain for several days. He examined me and I told him it hurt when he was pressing on my left side and he could also see from my face that I was uncomfortable. He said I was healing normally and he couldnt see any sign of a problem and that if I still have pain in four weeks to go and see my family doctor who can arrange tests. I told him I have had kidney stone treatment and I still have some stones which are in the middle of a cyst at the top of my left kidney which they cannot do anything with. I cant ignore pain in the left side for that reason. He then changed his mind and said he would arrange for me to have a scan. I will get a letter in the post asking me to make a convenient appointment and depending on the results they will either ask me to go back to the gynae clinic or discharge me.

I also told him I have been feeling light headed a lot so he arranged a blood test again I will get the results by post, although I am not expecting to be able to come off the iron tablets for at least another month. Not much help really.

I asked him about swelly belly, acne, depression and was told they have nothing to do with the surgery, he didnt want to know. He said my body will be completely healed in three months and after that I should be fit as fiddle and can do anything I like.

Sue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Re: disbelief at post op consultation

I am sorry, Sue. It sounds as if he was very dismissive to you and that has to be so hard. Even without the kidney stone/pain issues that he is blowing off (which is NOT right!!!), it's not fair that he isn't acknowledging the acne, belly and depression- whether they are related to your surgery or not!!!!

I cannot imagine feeling so unsupported by your physician! I never would have been able to get through my miscarriage, bleeding issues, surgery etc. if my doctor had not been as completely supportive and understanding as he has.

I hope you are able to get some answers and some peace soon- but until then, please feel free to vent here and hopefully we can give you at least SOME of the support you need.

Amy
Unread 02-04-2011, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suep9 View Post
I had my post op consultation today - exactly 10 weeks after surgery and the consultant thought it was ONLY 8. I told him I have pain in my left side most of the time and that sometimes I turn over in bed and I get a searing pain in that side which leaves me in a lot of pain for several days. He examined me and I told him it hurt when he was pressing on my left side and he could also see from my face that I was uncomfortable. He said I was healing normally and he couldnt see any sign of a problem and that if I still have pain in four weeks to go and see my family doctor who can arrange tests. I told him I have had kidney stone treatment and I still have some stones which are in the middle of a cyst at the top of my left kidney which they cannot do anything with. I cant ignore pain in the left side for that reason. He then changed his mind and said he would arrange for me to have a scan. I will get a letter in the post asking me to make a convenient appointment and depending on the results they will either ask me to go back to the gynae clinic or discharge me.

I also told him I have been feeling light headed a lot so he arranged a blood test again I will get the results by post, although I am not expecting to be able to come off the iron tablets for at least another month. Not much help really.

I asked him about swelly belly, acne, depression and was told they have nothing to do with the surgery, he didnt want to know. He said my body will be completely healed in three months and after that I should be fit as fiddle and can do anything I like.

Sue
Was your blood pressure normal? Any pain on my left side would have me thinking of having a heart attack. It could be indigestion. I would see my primary care doctor now. There is no reason to wait as you are in pain.

Best wishes.:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-04-2011, 11:08 PM

The pain you describe sounds exactly like what I felt from my abdominal adhesions. I'm sure yours is probably more likely to be related to your kidney issues, but thought I'd share just in case. Also, it may be too soon for you to have adhesions specifically from this surgery, but in my case the adhesions were caused by endometriosis as I'd had no abdominal surgeries when the pain started. So sorry that you are dealing with this and I hope that someone will do a better job addressing your symptoms.
Unread 02-07-2011, 03:15 AM

Hi Rochelletoo

My blood pressure wasnt checked at all. The only thing the doctor did was examine me internally and externally over the scar area. He said he didnt know why I have pain in my left side.

The pain is low down around and under the scar area and I suppose could possibly be adhesions but not necessarily from this surgery. I had a c-section nearly 16 years ago and was cut in the same place.

I think the consultant just wanted me off their books. I have been seeing the gynaecologist for six years now and it took them five to discover I had fibroids after putting me through various other treatments and two endometrial ablations.

Depending on the results of the ultrasound when i get the appointment they will either ask me to go back and see them or discharge me completely.

Cant believe I didnt find this wonderful site until after my surgery and it has been very reassuring knowing other people are going through some of the same things and that it is completely normal.

Sue
Unread 02-07-2011, 10:40 AM

Sue,

I would find another doctor not associated with the clinic or hospital of this doctor if feasible. It is vital to trust one's doctor.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register