Scheduled LAVH preparing for hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

preparing for hysterectomy preparing for hysterectomy

Unread 04-02-2014, 12:41 PM
preparing for hysterectomy

Hi im due for surgery in 2 weeks but am feeling a little overwhelmed with it all. I feel I should do more at home with cleaning but have no idea on where to start. Im trying to get my mind in the right place for this not sure on the emotions I should be feeling .im happy im finally having this done no more pain and troubles at that time of the month im partly having this done due to fibroids. Any advice I would be very grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 12:49 PM
Re: preparing

Don't be nervous, you will be okay. All your house needs is a good vacuum, clean your bathroom, and do what you can to be sure you have what you will need at your bedside (tissues, lip balm, pen, pad of paper, books, magazines, tylenol, stool softener, etc.) I had mine in a little rectangular basket!
I worked on preparing what I had to leave at work as well.
Once you are home, you won't be able to vacuum and clean, so think about who might help out with that and get that in place. Some people with families, make meals and freeze them ahead. It really depends on your specific needs.
Try to stay calm. It will all work out for you!
Good luck!
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Re: preparing for hysterectomy

Hi nervousdanie, and from a fellow Aussie too? Wherabouts do you live? I'm in the SE of South Australia, right down the bottom where it's already starting to get cooler :-)

I'm scheduled for a LAVH this coming Monday, and I've been going through similar thoughts and emotions. I'm very at peace with the surgery, and like you am looking forward to no more pain and problems! But I've also been under a lot of stress for a whole variety of reasons over the last couple of months, so there have been many days where I've been kind to myself and just rested, with cups of tea and books or movies, to let myself restore both emotionally and physically. And this is perfectly ok - if you have days where it just all seems too much, just sit with that, and don't feel you have to *do* anything, because you don't. This time leading up to surgery is your time to rest and prepare, and I would encourage you to do whatever you need to do to enable that.

Do you have other people (adults and/or kids) in your home, who can take on the general running-the-household duties?I've been getting organised with meals - making a list for the family to cook and stocking the pantry and fridge with what we need, cooking some meals to go in the freezer and making Paleo meals for myself that I can just thaw and heat (when I feel like eating again, anaesthetic often doesn't agree with me!!). If you don't have anyone else at home, could you employ a cleaner for at least the first few weeks?

I really like Niborhood1's idea of preparing your bedside - for me, I have a 'spot' (just like Sheldon!!), which is at the end of our couch next to a little table, where I'll have my stack of books and magazines, and basket with my knitting, journal, phone, tv remotes, lip balm and moisturiser (must also get the stool softener!!), tissues. I'll also make sure I have a big drink bottle, and once my partner goes back to work and the kids go back to school, a thermos of hot water for ongoing cups of green/herbal tea :-) I'm trying to think of everything I can have at hand, at least for the first couple of weeks anyway.

And as for what you 'should' be feeling? Whatever you're feeling at any given point in time, no-one can tell you how to feel, and you'll probably go through a whole range of emotions, some unfamiliar. Let yourself just sit with the emotion, rather than try and push it away, it might also help to journal your thoughts through the process.

It's lovely to 'meet' you :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-02-2014, 08:14 PM

Hi nervousdanie to HysterSisters!

Having this surgery is a very overwhelming experience. Your fears, nerves, and emotional are all very normal.

You may want to look at our pre-op page, and you can also click on the HYSTERECTOMY CHECKPOINTS at the top of the page.

Recovery from this surgery will take a while: think weeks and not days. You will also need to take time off work. Again, you need to think weeks and not days. The length of time depends on how fast you heal and what your job duties are. You will need help at home with cooking, cleaning, dishes, laundry, shopping, driving, etc.

Always know that you are not alone, and that we are here to help and support you. Ask specific questions you may have, and also get on and express your fears and feelings. It really does help.

Unread 04-02-2014, 08:42 PM

Hi Allison nice to meet you.Im in Sydney its still quite warm here which is nice im near the Blue Mountains and winter is freezing here.
Thankfully my op is right over easter so my partner will already be off work.This has been my first time by myself now all the kids are at school (my baby started kindergarten) , I have to be careful I don't get way too overwhelmed with it all trying to get my head together on what has to be done with 5 kids in the house(combined family) and just trying to get them organised is always an effort. That's a good idea on stocking up in the freezer ill have to do that start thinking on how to make this as easier as I can on everyone in the house then I know I can rest.Im hoping my mum will come and stay with me once the kids go back to school(she is in QLD) I don't think ill be driving for a few weeks, I have had 3 ceasers so if my op goes to an open hsyter then I have an idea on what im in for. I haven't really spoken to many people about this none of my friends have been through it im only 39. so its nice to come here and read other peoples post and getting feed back is always nice. Goodluck for Monday Alison and I agree get as much rest as you and go the stool softner!! Im also a theatre nurse so I know how the procedure goes which makes me a bit nervous!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register